A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 70s shoulder bag made of denim  (Read 1321 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Weidenkätzchen
« on: October 19, 2006 03:55:22 AM »

This bag is a rather simple one i guess, but took me quite a long time because of all the bias binding with which I had never worked before.

Anyway I think it turned out nice although the little pocket in front isn't really in an upright position. But this makes it look even more handmade, don't you think?

I took the pattern from a 1976's sewing book and altered it a little (infact just for the pocket inside and the Velcro, which is obviously not that much altering).

Oh, and I made another one with yellow bias binding to better myself on that one, but it was still quite slippery to sew with. Also it didn't turn out the same on both sides of the binding. Does anyone have any suggestions on that?

So here are the pics (quite crappy, unprofessional and dark but I hope it shows everything):

messy room with bag and me in front of dusty mirror (next time I will clean up before taking pictures- I promise Wink

detail of front pocket

inside the bag

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011 10:09:24 AM by kategirl - Reason: Fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
katalina
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006 07:50:02 AM »

I really love the fabric choices you used.  That pocket is really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilacQuilts
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006 07:54:47 AM »

Nice bag!

I use bias binding when I bind a quilt and it's just a pain.  I sew the front side on with a machine and then hand stitch the back because I can never get the two sides lined up right, no matter how many pins I use.

I have seen a machine foot for putting bias binding on all at once so I've asked for it as a gift (it's something like $30).

I bet the yellow binding on your other bag looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weidenkätzchen
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006 08:37:47 AM »

Thanks!

I have seen a machine foot for putting bias binding on all at once so I've asked for it as a gift (it's something like $30).

I bet the yellow binding on your other bag looks great.

Yeah, the yellow binding is nice, but it gets dirty quite fast since the bottom of the bag is lined with it.

A special machine foot for bias binding sounds good, I just hope that I can get one for my old (but excellent working!) machine. I will google this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006 12:00:19 PM »

I think they are both well done. I have that foot I really like it, I got mine from nancysnotions.com it was only 15.00 plus shipping. It will work on any machine as long as you get the right shank for your machine, the website will tell you how to figure what shank you need. It doesnt really go around curves that well unless you prepress the tape into a curve before you put it in the foot, I thought Id give you a heads up on that tip. Its a good idea to practice on scraps before trying it on the project. Again cute purse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
yamwam
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006 02:13:26 PM »

I love your bag! It does evoke the 70s.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loose pleats sink fleets

Wists
stephielou
Ohio Uber Alles!

"She ain't no riot grrrl, just a riot"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007 05:50:23 PM »

I have the same Reader's Digest sewing book and made a modified version of that same bag! Yours turned out MUCH better than mine. I had a really rough time with the bias binding too. It's been sitting in my "to be repaired" pile for ages. You've inspired me to give it another shot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Combat Annoying Static With These Quick Fixes!
Stripes Are The Hottest New Spring Trend
6 Must-Have Shorts You Need For Spring
5 Ways To Wear Suspender Tights
Ways To Wear Trendy Statement Suits
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...