A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,123
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone make this pattern? I'm lost.  (Read 755 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SeeMe

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2006 10:58:22 PM »

A'ight. So check it, I'm making this sweater: http://www.bitchnmoan.net/fanfic/quidditch.php  And, well, I'm lost. What puzzles me is this bit:

Back: Work as for front, omitting neck shaping. Place rem 38 sts on a holder

Alright...so, I omit the neckshaping..how, ah, do I get 38 stitches? Am I jus dumb, or what? I just don't get it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog Wist
Would like to swap for broken (torn) dollar bills! I have an idea and don't want to use "good" money!
"They aleady have a soda like that. It's called Soylent Cola."
"How is it?"
"Eh, varies from person to perso
Rain_
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006 11:12:25 PM »

You're not dumb, sometimes patterns can be a bit difficult to work out.

There will be some shoulder shaping on the front pieces ie cast/bind off x sts, you still need to work that part even though you aren't doing the neck shaping
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SeeMe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006 11:18:59 PM »

Thanks...but I'm still not really getting it. Because the pattern says that most of the decreasing is in the neck...Oi vey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog Wist
Would like to swap for broken (torn) dollar bills! I have an idea and don't want to use "good" money!
"How is it?"
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006 06:18:41 AM »

Have you begun to knit it yet or are you just reading through in advance? Sometimes when you get the work on your needles it makes a whole lot more sense than reading it. Why don't you start with the back first and see what you come up with. It looks like with the front shoulder shaping that you end up with 9 sts on each shoulder - 9x2 is 18 and the remaining 20 are the ones that were decreased for the neck. So 18+20=38 to cast off for the back.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006 07:45:26 AM »

Actually, that pattern makes no sense to me, at all.  You start with 100 stitches, with 12 going on a holder and leaving 44 stitches on either side... and the neck decreases seam to leave you with 25 stitches, so I don't understand how the shoulder shaping would work AT all.  Or, if the pattern means to decrease 4 stitches OVER the next two rows, and then 2 stitches OVER the next two rows, and then 7 stitches total, one every other row, that leaves 31 stitches... then the shoulder shaping would have to be 11 stitches OVER four rows and then the last 9 stitches, which is closer, and makes a little more sense, but doesn't account for one stitch on either side, unless it should say, decrease 1 at neck edge on following row, then every other row 7 times (for 8 times total).  THAT is the only way I can figure this pattern works out.

Meanwhile, if that second deduction is correct, the 38 stitches is actually the total number of stitches in the neck shaping... basically, you'll work the shoulder shaping (however that works) and wind up with 38 stitches in the center that corresponds to 12 stitches on the holder, plus 4 stitches twice (once for each side), plus 2 stitches twice, plus 7 stitches twice.  That makes total sense.  The center x stitches on a given pattern front are the neck shaping stitches, and then the back same number of stitches in the center are for the back neck, and it has to be that way so the shoulder seams match up. 

But the rest of that patter!  Yech.  I can't see how the numbers add up. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
SeeMe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006 09:46:17 AM »

Okay, so I'm not understanding what to do, still. Heh. Maybe I'm just dumb...

So, for the back, I would like, do the bit about moving 12 stitches to a stitch holder, then just kind of work until it's 26 1/2 inches, or whatever, then do the shoulder shaping? Or...well, really, the pattern makes very little sense here. Like how it told me to cast off four stitches on the neck edge on the next two rows... I did it, but I had to cut the yarn a couple of times so that I could, because you can't really cast off at the end of a row and keep knitting... *sigh* Confusing, confiusing pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog Wist
"How is it?"
soozeq
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006 10:24:17 AM »

You don't cast off on the end of the row, but at the beginning. So you'd bind off at the neck edge whenever that side is at the beginning of the row.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006 11:08:43 AM »

The 12 stitches on a holder is part of the neck shaping.  Basically, all those rows that on the front you would be shaping the neck, starting with the 12 stitches on a holder and ending with the last of the seven every-other rows... those will just be knit all the way across, with no holders, no decreasing... until you get to the point where your front would begin shoulder-shaping, and then you do your shoulder shaping and somehow you should end up with 38 stitches in the middle of your piece that will go on a holder and eventually be knit for the neck band.

Yeah, um, stilll, this pattern is badly written.  Bad bad bad.  None of the numbers work out no matter how I try to wrap my head around them.

Edited to add:  Bah, good grief, that pattern is written really badly, but I finally got the math to work.  Geesh, I must have been really distracted all morning.

So, the back is worked just like the front, until after the armhole shaping.  So, you do the armhole shaping and wind up with 100 stitches, then you knit until the piece is 26.5".  Then you cast off 11 stitches at the beginning of each of the next 4 rows, then cast off 9 stitches at the beginning of each of the next 2 rows, and you wind up with 38 stitches in the middle of your work.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006 11:16:21 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
SeeMe

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006 12:05:07 PM »

Woo hoo! NOw I understand. It just wans't making sense, no matter how undistracted I was. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog Wist
"How is it?"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Easter Bonnet
How to Make a Hand-Painted Tie for Father’s Day
How to Make a Ghost Costume
How to Hem Pants
How to Make a Sock Puppet
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...