A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: nintendo controller ds lite case w/ mini tutorial  (Read 202309 times)
Tags for this thread: nintendo , video_game , ds_case , plastic_canvas , featured_project , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rosered

terror of the highseas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 18, 2006 10:37:01 PM »

I got myself a nintendo ds lite last month and I decided that it needed a sweet case to keep it in. I've never done any cross stitching needle point before and my aunt recently gave me these plastic grid cross stitch canvas sheets, so I thought this would be the perfect project to learn on!

I think it turned out really great, but I am swearing to never cross stitch needle point a project this large again. It takes forever!

Here's what I did to make it. The instructions aren't perfect since I did make some of it up as I went along, but good luck to anyone who wants to give it a shot!

Things you need:
plastic canvas sheets (size 8 grid)
lots of grey yarn
slightly darker grey yarn
black yarn
red yarn
scissors
glue gun
Optional
grey felt to line the inside with
some velcro to make a closure with

1.So first I measured my ds and figured out what to cut the pieces of the plastic grid stuff to.

You need:
(units of measurement are in squares of the size 8 plastic canvas)

two pieces of 25 by 44 (for the top and bottom)
two pieces of 8 by 44 (for the long sides)
two pieces of 8 by 25 (for the short sides)
one pice of 7 by 44 (for the overflap) -> I cut this down so it was 44 on the top and 40 on the bottom of this piece so the flap would have rouded edges

(I also cut out a spot for the charger cord in the back, but I'm not including this, since it was one of the things I just did on the fly as I went along)

2. Then I made a pattern using adobe illustrator of where to stitch to make the top look like an NES controller. And here it is!

3. Then I just needlepointed like mad for a few days until all the pieces were done (but not around the edges of the plastic). Then I put the pieces together so it would lay flat like a box.

4. From here I did an optional thing where I cut pieces of felt to approx. the right size to line the case with. The bottom part is one piece sewn together to just fit in nicely, and the top is a separate piece. The felt is glued in with a hot glue gun, but not to the edges, since you still need room to stitch around the edge of the plastic to give it a finished look.

5. Then I stitched together all the joining parts of the case, going through the felt where necessary. So the case is case shaped now, and some of the sides of the felt are covered up by stitches of yarn where I was finishing the edges of the plastic pieces.

I also put some velcro on the overhang flap and the front of the case to keep it closed better. I just used a hot glue gun to attach that bit on as a last step!

And that's basically it! It was challenging to figure it all out, so if anyone attempts to make theirself a case from this tutorial and has any questions, please comment with them and I'll do my best to answer them!

There are some more pictures in my flickr account. I made a set for the photos of this ds nes style case that you can check out here -->http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosered/sets/72157594335228317/

Thanks for having a look!

EDIT:The fantastic Natalie Zee Drieu, the associate editor of CRAFT magazine, has posted up a modified version of this Nintendo DS case with instructions! You can check out her version at the CRAFT blog over here!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007 07:35:31 PM by rosered » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafterbynite
Customizing the world ..one shirt at a time

Extraordinary machine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006 11:06:09 PM »

OMG! I want one I just upgrade to a pink ds lite too .....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ETSY :: Wist :: Blog :: Fb :: Twitter
Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006 11:07:46 PM »

OMG! That is so cute! I've only got a GBA, but this is so cool! I might see if I can adapt the pattern! *lol*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tragicheroine
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006 11:14:20 PM »

I saw this on the livejournal community craftgurl and WOW its awesome! Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006 11:15:12 PM »

wow, i will be making one of these for my little lite, thank you so much for posting your chart and instructions! It looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
cinnamon teal
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006 11:22:02 PM »

This is awesome!  I just might have to make one of these for my brother.  Thanks so much for the tute! Smiley 

btw, this is the best use of that plastic cross stitch stuff I have ever seen.  Really fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambiguous_Miss
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006 11:26:07 PM »

Wow I love this! Im so gouing to make one for myself and my friend. He has a (well my) DS Lite.!

Could you please possibly post the dimensions you used? I dont actually have my DS at the moment. Its in Melbourne and Im In Adelaide (far away)

Thanks so much in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006 11:38:39 PM »

she posted the dimensions of plastic canvas she used in her first post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006 03:16:39 AM »

Lol what a cool thing to do, and so very neat done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
warmfuzzies
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006 04:18:30 AM »

This is fantastic!  Thanks so much for taking the time to make a tutorial, too.  Bwahaha, I'm going to get started on one as soon as I get my hands on some plastic canvas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do the Graffiti Letter D
How to Draw a Panther
How to Draw an Ellipse
How to Draw Polar Bears
How to Draw Fantasy Creatures
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...