A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
761 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anticraft is up!  (Read 2136 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rebel
« on: October 18, 2006 07:19:15 PM »

I don't think this has been posted yet.

See it here...

http://www.theanticraft.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
medstudentknitter
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006 08:11:11 PM »

yeah, and allow me to say that it has finally happened. Finally I have found a knitting pattern that was SO strange SO out there that instead of squeeing with glee and grabbing the needles like i have for EVERY OTHER strange bizarre knitting pattern, I have instead pointed the needles at it and backed. Away. Slowly.

You know, it a respectful, awed kind of way. But still putting distance between me and it.

And I'm a med student. I don't do squeamish much. Wow.
http://www.theanticraft.com/archive/samhain06/teratoma.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love the friendly faces of old Sorrows;
I have no secrets that they do not know.
-Karle Wilson Baker
erincatherine
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006 08:19:53 PM »

the website and design are awesome.  i really like the way it is put together. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop! Zeitgeist Yarns: www.zeitgeistyarns.etsy.com

and my brand new blog: www.zeitgeistyarns.blogspot.com
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006 08:46:33 PM »

what's a teratoma?
if youre a med student and youre scared i'm really scared.

i sharehouse with a med student, and there is a new rule that is "No surgery textbooks on the dining table" I don't need to see the graphic cover image of a tongue being operated on while i eat my muesli.

oh, and discovering that such things as fistulas exist was pretty scarring. a teratoma is worse than a fistula?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006 08:54:12 PM »

Isn't a teratoma those masses that are taken out of people that are basically like an absorbed twin kinda thing?  It has teeth and hair and stuff, but grew like a tumor?

edited to add:  ok I just checked that out on Anticraft!! I want a teratoma!!  SWEET!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
medstudentknitter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006 09:40:28 PM »

You've got the idea of a teratoma mostly right. As tumors go they're not really that scary. They are tumors found in people (usually benign) and yes they can have hair and skin and teeth and all sorts of things. They're not your twin though. They are essentially a really primordial piece of you that instead of maturing and growing into YOU like all the rest of your cells instead stayed primordial and became a little bit of everything in a very unorganized way. They are never organized enough really to grow like, an eyeball (though it makes the knitted one very cool), but little bits of any kind of human tissue could be found in them.

It's almost never cancer, somehow that makes it cuter to knit. I hope this wasn't too gruesome for you lupinbunny.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love the friendly faces of old Sorrows;
I have no secrets that they do not know.
-Karle Wilson Baker
arsenic_girl
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006 11:34:11 PM »

I definitely googled it, and the pictures that come up at the top made me not so happy. I don't like an idea of a little monstery thing growing inside of a body, much less would i like to knit one!

I like the cabled hat though, very very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006 03:31:00 AM »

nah! not a problem! i've heard of them before and i just forgot the name! i think they're kind of neat actually [okay - having now googled properly and seen the BIG, MUNTED TUMOURS and realising that they seem to occur mostly in the reproductive organs, i change my mind. i imagined them kind of like a largeish mole/ wart on the skin (like, 1/3 inch across). uh, wrong, lupinbunny].

but it's not certain that they're a primordial part of you (now i know that they are the thing i'm thinking of, i'm a TOTAL expert Wink ) a book i read on mutantism said it's still not really certain what causes them, and that a cannibalised, underformed twin is still as good a hypothesis as bits-of-you-that-fail-to-develop-properly.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006 03:34:55 AM by lupinbunny » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilylola
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006 03:43:02 AM »

A CANNIBALISED TWIN?! Sweet Jesus - I can just see me taking that along  to knit outside my daughters ballet class.
'What are you making this week?'
'Oh it's a Teratoma.'
'Ooh what's that?'
'Well it's either a primordial part of yourself that never matured, or some hypothesis state that it's a cannibalised twin. I thought I'd give it to my Mother in law for Christmas. By the way would Sophie like to come and play this week?'

Damn cool though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did but backwards and in high heels

MY wist
MY ETSY
folksy shop
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006 04:11:24 AM »

Ha ha.  I had my teratoma removed  last year (on Oct 31st - does that make it scarier?).  When I first found out I had one, I thought I was some kind of mutant, and people would think I was gross, but then I realised I didn't care.  I gave it a name and actually didn't want it to go in the end. Maybe I should knit myself a new one.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wake the Beast Entitled 4
Wake the Beast Entitled 3
Wake the Beast Entitled 2
Wake the Beast Entitled
How Practice Enables Mastery in a Creative Career - Bijoy Goswami
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...