A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I can't decide if I like it or not...  (Read 2001 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: October 18, 2006 06:07:07 PM »

I have been seriously craving some cabled wrist warmers so I used some old yarn from my stash and made this prototype one:

But I kind of feel like it looks like a cast or one of those wrist guards that roller bladers wear.  I would really love any ideas or constructive criticism to help me improve it.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mel_lovey

Sometimes a flower is all you need! ;o)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006 06:20:50 PM »

It's pretty, but the feminine cables and color do look a bit out of place with the basic straight lines of the construction.

...how about adding some lace partway underneath to give it a layered effect, or a soft crochet border around the top and bottom? Ooh, or a thin ribbon threaded through either end?

I'm not saying this because I don't like it though! I would probably wear them as-is, but just trying to give you my p.o.v. on making it as purrfect as possible (as I'm sure you were asking).

Just one question though: do you know what kind of yarn you used for this? The color is wonderful and shows off the cables perfectly! Is it soft? (just asking because it looks very touchable!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely <3 Craftster!

...By the way,has anyone seen my dpns...?

blog: http://www.xanga.com/fortheloveoffood
talmina
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006 06:23:31 PM »

I'm not so keen on the colour, but I'm not much of a pink person even though it is kinda more purpley, it just feels pink to me.  Other than that I like it, you could add some lace or something to dress it up or take the inner arm cable out to take away some bulk on the hands , which might help stop it looking like a cast/wristguard but other than that I love it.  I'd wear that pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
acidalbatross

Puuutinondariiitzz!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006 06:25:29 PM »

they are beautiful, and you can definitely wear them with pride, the only thing i would do for the next pair is making them longer so they cover more of your hand, but that probably just a personal opinion on my part
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the strangels will take me down deep in their brine
The mischievous braingels
Down into the endless blue wine
-(Tom Waits)
Mosquito
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006 07:00:10 PM »

I love them just the way they are. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006 08:44:28 PM »

Like everyone before me I think they are lovely. I also would like to know what yarn you used - soft and the cables show very well.

However since you ask:

take the inner arm cable out to take away some bulk

making them longer so they cover more of your hand

I'd do both of these. Probably replace the inner cable that goes down the middle of the palm with ribbing - that would keep them snug and reduce bulk. The length issue is probably because it looks like you have beautiful slender and long hands. I'd like them to cover my knuckles if I made them for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006 08:48:38 PM »

I think the length onto the palm is the ONLY thing that makes it look like a cast.  It's that "Hey we're going to make your arm unable to move, but leave you the use of your fingers" look.  Lengthen that just a bit and I think you've got it. 

However, the whole discussion has given me an idea... *runs off to knit a wristwarmer*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
creativemsb
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006 09:01:08 PM »

Greetings'
Add me to the list of "I like, no love them very much". I'm making a pair of fingerless gloves right now but these put mine's to shame.
Wear them proudly.
PEACE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rain_
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006 11:10:11 PM »

I really like them but agree with the suggestions already given especially on the length.

I also find it takes me a day or two to like something I've just made so don't be too harsh on them just yet.

What about a picot cast on and cast off? That might girlify them a bit.

Picot cast on - Using the 'knitting on method' *cast on 5 sts, cast off 2 sts, slip the st from the right needle back to the left* [3 sts now on left needle. Repeat from *to*

Picot cast off - Cast off 3 sts, *slip the st on the right needle back to the left and use to cast on 2 sts, cast off 5 sts.* Repeat from * to end
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nellum
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006 11:12:17 PM »

I think a half-thumb would help a lot.  Pick up stitches around the thumb opening, knit a couple of inches, cast off.  It just might work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Exporting After Effects Files into Photoshop
Adobe Production Studio - Creating a Solid Background
Adobe Production Studio - Explaining Title Safe and Action Safe Guides
Adobe Production Studio - Using an Element from a 4:3 Comp in a 16:9 Comp
Adobe Production Studio - Setting Up a New Composition
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...