A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,316
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's so great about etsy?  (Read 1723 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pinklightning06
Pinklightning!

I am a sugar spun electro storm ♥

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2006 01:49:45 PM »

So I'm about to take the plunge into starting my own clothing business. Selling handmade tops and skirts and such. Already know that I don't want to deal with Ebay, so I'm trying to decide whether I want to open my own webpage, or open an etsy site. Everyone here at craftster seems to be head over heels with etsy. And I want to know why. What's so great about it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pinklightning
http://www.pinklightning.me/

Project 365 Awesome - Day 105: Stars&Dinosaurs&AsianBrides&NEW GOALS
Do I have what it takes to be a successful fashion designer? Well I'm giving myself 365 days to find out...
tofuttibreak
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006 02:10:36 PM »

i'm hoping to open my etsy shop soon.
the reason i am choosing etsy is that you automatically get traffic through the site. with your own site, you are entirely responsible for promoting. with etsy, all of the promoting that others do can pay off for you as well.
i know that a lot of people do both. they put some things in their etsy shop, and then they put their website in their bio. that way, anyone who finds them through etsy can also go to their site and see other products.

i think of etsy as a happy medium between ebay and having a site of my own. hopefully, i will have a site of my own at one point. with etsy, i can try out having a shop and sort of test the waters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SupernovaDesigns
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006 02:07:51 AM »

A lot of people will have a website with their own domain, and use etsy as the sort of "checkout". "Click pictures to go to my etsy shop to purchase the item" kinda deal.

note: one thing you aren't allowed to do, technically, but which many do anyway, but which is generally frowned upon by gungho etsy supporters, is putting a link to your own website in your etsy profile. basically, using etsy as a platform to get traffic to your own site for the purpose of making sales through that separate site.

If I felt I had the time to manage a website, I'd do it, just because etsy doesn't allow for the use of HTML, which I understand (keeps everything looking clean and uniform), but I think it would be fun to have my own little background and cutesy graphics and so forth =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop
SupernovaDesigns.etsy.com
Knitty club
old is the new new

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006 02:16:04 AM »

what even is an etsy? thanks for asking why it's great! I wonder that, too.

But could I also ask:

How does it work?? and how does one get one? does it cost money?

thanks guys!
Sorry for being a dingbat but I don't live in the states so I'm a little out of it.... hadn't even heard of it before my craftster days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the mermaids in the basement came out to look at me
Bailliesbagsbaubles
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006 04:55:43 AM »

Etsy is a sight for crafters that allows you to have your only little store.  It is $.10 to list 1 item fro 6 mo.  then you pay I think 5% or somethign like that for each item that is sold. 

To open a store you just go to etsy.com and follow the instructions. 

I personally would prefer my own site as I would have a section of my available fabrics instead of trying to direct people elsewhere to look at my fabrics.  I also would prefer to have an album to show what I have done in the past, not just what i have sold on etsy!

But, for now etsy does what I need it to and I make do. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitty club
old is the new new

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006 05:01:20 AM »

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the mermaids in the basement came out to look at me
msmeow
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006 06:20:24 AM »

I have some issues with Etsy, which is why I don't use it as my main shop, plus I had my main shop before Etsy started.  (I do have a link to my main shop in my profile, but my main shop and my Etsy shop carry different things so I don't feel like it's crossing the line.)

While Etsy gets traffic for you you're also competing with  A LOT of other people there and you still have to do your own targeted marketing. 
But for most people it's cheaper than setting up your own web shop what with hosting and a designer, etc.
At Etsy the checkout is a little weird.  For example, people "buy" an item but won't pay through paypal for awhile or never.  I had someone "buy" something days ago and I still haven't gotten payment.  Hopefully it will come.  On your own site if you use paypal or another cart when people "buy" and item they really "buy" and have to pay right away.

Because there are so many people on Etsy you get a range of professionalism or non.  I've bought things for Etsy and sometimes it was a great experience and people are very professional.  Other times not so much.  I think that can hurt everyone on Etsy because it won't be seen as a professional environment.
Just my opinions! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006 10:25:20 AM »

At Etsy the checkout is a little weird.  For example, people "buy" an item but won't pay through paypal for awhile or never.  I had someone "buy" something days ago and I still haven't gotten payment.  Hopefully it will come.  On your own site if you use paypal or another cart when people "buy" and item they really "buy" and have to pay right away.

yeah, i don't really understand why it is like that. do you know if it will still be that way in v2 (with the whole shopping cart thing)? it seems like it has been a pretty huge hassle to a lot of sellers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cupcakesupernova
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006 10:42:06 AM »

I have both, just because some people prefer etsy for whatever reason and you get some cross promotion. I also have a general store on etsy (http://progoddess.etsy.com) where I post things that I might not normally sell on my site such as a one off of a postcard or a little pin. I also have a etsy shop where I just sell my food zines (http://coconutlime.etsy.com) that I also sell in my own site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noir6
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006 02:37:04 PM »

I think that etsy is a good start for beginner crafters with a limited budget for media and marketing. For that, use etsy to get your feet wet. But note that etsy has limitations.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-
-
-
-
-
-
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cover Up Graffiti
How to Create a Graffiti Stencil
How to Create Light Graffiti
How to Create Graffiti Wildstyle
How to Design Short Anime Characters
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...