A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Dying techniques w/o using jacquard dyes on stove  (Read 2431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caprig
« on: October 18, 2006 09:13:52 AM »

Hi all,
I have used the jacquard dyes for wool, but I wondered if there was another way to dye without stove use- I want to get some of the white and black striped roving and hand dye it with rainbow colors- without spending a lot on jacquard dyes- using the stove is hard in fall and winter- I usually do stove dying outside in summer.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006 02:03:03 PM by caprig » THIS ROCKS   Logged
misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006 09:44:29 AM »

you can use kool aid?  But jaquard dyes are more cost effective since a little goes a long way.  you can also use food coloring, but unless you want to use more chemical-y dyes, you have to heat set them.  You could do them in the mircowave though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006 05:30:04 PM »

One word: crockpot. Pick up an old one at a thrift store and use it for dyeing with acid dyes [like jacquard]. 1-2 hours on high, then let cool in the crock pot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
ARJ
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006 06:12:31 PM »

I can't personally recommend them, as I haven't tried them yet, but I intend at some point to order some Earth Palette dyes. They do not require any simmering at all-- only hot water & their special fixing agent. I've had several people in my spinning class recommend them to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Andrea Roceal James

They dined on mince, and slices of quince, which they ate with a runcible spoon, and hand in hand, on the edge of the sand, they danced by the light of the moon.
http://www.jngm.net/runcible_spoon/
pixiefarts
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006 10:46:54 AM »

i love my crockpot for dyeing. It always comes out awesome, maybe totally not what I planned. I use jacquard dyes for about 2 or so hours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angorina

Billy, my white angora male

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006 04:28:11 PM »

you can use kool aid?  But jaquard dyes are more cost effective since a little goes a long way.  you can also use food coloring, but unless you want to use more chemical-y dyes, you have to heat set them.  You could do them in the mircowave though!

Hi.

Doe I understand it right, that you can use jaquard on the microwave? In Norway, they don't sell crock pot. But sure I would like to have one, seems so easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happy angora spinning from Norway

My blogg
HK's Angora
HK's webshop
sulicat
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006 05:41:13 PM »

All you really need is something that can provide an even, sustained heat. I  use an old crockpot as well as an old rice/vegetable steamer. Or, if you get swanky (and I hope to soon) you can get a hotplate - a stove element you plug in by itself. They tend to come in one/two element versions. Totally worth the investment to make dyeing safer.
I won't use my microwave because I still use that for food. That and the microwave kinda scares me.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006 05:44:17 PM by sulicat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tenrec

*adaptive*radiation*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006 07:33:41 AM »

Or, if you get swanky (and I hope to soon) you can get a hotplate - a stove element you plug in by itself.

I found a single element electric burner for less than $10 somewhere... I want to say Target or even the grocery store.  I take it outside to do acid dyeing there, but that's just being cautious.  It's mixing the dyes that you have to worry about - they're very harmful in the powder form.  So I always mix dyes outside (or very well ventilated), but I have been known to do my acid dyeing in the kitchen.

Hey, this is just the sort of post that would work well on a dyeing-specific board... if you'd be interested, check out this thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angorina

Billy, my white angora male

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006 09:32:22 AM »

Or, if you get swanky (and I hope to soon) you can get a hotplate - a stove element you plug in by itself.

I found a single element electric burner for less than $10 somewhere... I want to say Target or even the grocery store.  I take it outside to do acid dyeing there, but that's just being cautious.  It's mixing the dyes that you have to worry about - they're very harmful in the powder form.  So I always mix dyes outside (or very well ventilated), but I have been known to do my acid dyeing in the kitchen.

Hey, this is just the sort of post that would work well on a dyeing-specific board... if you'd be interested, check out this thread.

Thank you for the tips, will read more there.

But with Jacquard, I understand it that the dying there is not so harmful, that the only acid is the winegear. Ore have I maybe misunderstod?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happy angora spinning from Norway

My blogg
HK's Angora
HK's webshop
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006 09:47:51 AM »

It's my understanding that it is only the powdered for of the Jacquard dyes that are potentially harmful. Not so much because of the contents, but because you can inhale the powder while working with it. Vinegar [that's the english word/spelling] is an acid, but an edible one so you're unlikely to harm yourself with vinegar [you can break down the fibers in the wool with two much of it though]. The chemicals that make the color are also not foodsafe, [unlike the colorings in kool-aid] which is why you should not eat from dishes that have had those chemicals in them since trace amounts could contaminate your food.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Framing Your Shots for an Internet Video
How to Select a Play to Direct
How to Recognize a Good Scene in Theater Directing
How to Audition Using Sides
How to Audition Online
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...