A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Would crocheting make me an artist?  (Read 1240 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadyTwilyte
The Geek

Who wants to sleep with the fishes?

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2006 05:21:29 PM »

My friend kept insisting that since I crochet, I am an artist. She also said that not all artists work with brushes and paint, they can work with hooks and yarn. I say that's crazy. What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

My current craft project: crochet domokun doll.
creativemsb
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006 05:48:00 PM »

Greetings'
This is just one page of results of a search for "crochet fiber artist"
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=SUNA,SUNA:2006-33,SUNA:en&q=crochet+fiber+artist.
So yes, you could be considered an artist if you are creating something. If you always follow a pattern then you would probably be considered a craftster but remember when you change the color or yarn or hook size you are creating which = artist.
PEACE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veggiechef
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006 05:54:33 PM »

I agree!  If you're creating, you're an artist.  YOU are choosing which pattern, which yarn, which stitch, which color combos....Crochet, or any needle craft is most definately an art form.  It tells a story, it has history, and it is a form of expression. Cool 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BE the change you wish to see in the world-Gandhi
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006 06:45:37 PM »

I consider my crocheted pieces works of art, but then again, not all people who paint are artists. It's up to interpretation I guess. I don't think that if you crochet or knit it 'makes you an artist', but rather it shows an artistic quality. Though if you are only working from patterns, I wouldn't say you were an artist. Thats sort of like a paint-by-number in my opinion...
(but artists work in every medium imaginable, don't forget! If yarn is how you express yourself, then its art.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
djonesgirl
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006 07:32:02 PM »

my 6 year old had to do a worksheet about her family when school started.  One of the questions asked about what her parents' jobs were.  I told her I was an artist, but she said, no, you're just a mom.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovemyff
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006 08:52:26 PM »

Art can be created with all sorts of medium, yarn included, but I agree with others who said you must be creating something original to be considered an artist. However, I think there is a more narrower definition of a 'fine' artist as oppose to fiber artist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006 09:01:16 PM »

I think this is really a question of the difference between artist and artisan, or artist and craftsperson.  An artist can use any medium, and indeed yarn and hooks is one such, but I think probably most crocheters are artisans rather than artists, but perhaps designers and especially people who actually create objet d'art such as sculpture or "soft paintings", etc., using yarn and hooks, are rightly considered artists.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
socknitter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006 06:47:52 AM »

Is being a handcrafter so bad? Being a handcrafter or needleworker really has a long and heroic history! If everyone is a chef... who are the cooks and bakers, kwim?  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006 08:00:19 AM »

Not at all.  Historically, often being an artist was a much harder life than being an artisan.  That is why so many artists were hired by artisans to decorate their work.  The artisans HAD work, the artists NEEDED it.  Artisans include cabinet makers, potters and china makers, knitters, sewers, makers of instruments, metalworkers....  Antonio Stradivari was an artisan.  Metalsmiths from the magnificent goldworkers of ancient Egypt to the silverworker who crafted the peerless Silver Swan clockwork scupture to Pierre Cartier the jeweler... they were artisans, though surely some of their work overlapped "artist" as well.  Artisans can create art, but the function of being a craftsperson is not the same as that of being an artist.  Craftspeople in modern times take a backseat to "artists" but craftspeople have a long and illustrious history.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
ConcreteJungler
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006 04:01:37 PM »

My friend kept insisting that since I crochet, I am an artist.

Hell, yes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Mini Lamb Satays
How to Cook Chinese Pancakes
How to Prepare a Thai Breakfast
How to Cook Thai Chicken with Coconut and Basil
How to Prepare Unagi Nigiri
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...