A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
325 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: English dorks + Halloween = ?  (Read 630 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aspatria

I like road trips!

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2006 11:47:37 AM »

...And that's the extent of my math skills.

Craftsters, I need your help with a Halloween party I'm hosting. It's for English graduate students and faculty/staff, and it's an official social event for our grad student association, so I want it to go well. It's potluck, so I can't really do much of a theme with food. What I really need help with is the decorations. Any ideas for Halloween decorations that English majors and faculty will enjoy? I'd like them to be as inexpensive as possible - I am a professional student, after all  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckyklutz85
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006 12:01:30 PM »

What if you copied the covers of horror stories onto tan (or any other color....) paper and hung them around the room? You could do classics like Poe AND do campy ones like R.L. Stine! You could also ask people to dress up as their favorite horror figure, but add the stipulation that it can't be directly from a movie (i.e. no 'Saw', but Phantom of The Opera is OK, because it's from a book) if costumes are an option. Other than that, utilize the dollar store, I'm sure they'll have lots of cheap decor!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aspatria

I like road trips!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006 03:32:39 PM »

Oooh! I loooove that idea! I'm also planning to have them bring campy (not overly scary) horror movies to play quietly on my tv...we'll mostly be outside, but there will always be a few folks wandering through the house.

Now, time to arrange parking for everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erikau
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006 01:59:57 PM »

Perhaps you could have people dress as any character from literature they find frightening.  You could make a game out of it, ask everyone to try to drop hints as to who they are meant to be during the course of the party.  They could carry Once a character has been identified by another partygoer, have them put on a nametag, you know "Hello, my name is Grace Poole".  Maybe you could add the real name of the person who guessed correctly.  Then, at the end of the party, you could award (cheap) prizes to the person with the most correct guesses and to any character who hasn't been correctly identified.

A simpler way to do this might be to have a clipboard with your guests listed by name and enough room for the other guests to write their guesses.  Have an unveiling at the end of the party, award prizes for the character who was most difficult to identify.

erika

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dramatrauma
The Broadsword of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006 12:40:23 PM »

If there are any earnest artists helping you out how bout getting very wide roll of white paper or big pieces of white cardboard and drawing out some stand up characters or backdrops in the style of Gorey...kindve deck out the place like the set on Mystery! on pbs.

If you can afford the rental projecting black and white "horror" movies onto the side of the house is a really cool affaect...then change the dvds to one of those technicolored Poe themed horror films of the 60s

Members of your crew should be in costume of course and maybe should "perform" thru out the evening...a dapper gentlemen Dr suddenly transforms into MrHyde and is suddenly very rude to ladies in attendance....Ms Mina Harker is so much fun except she keeps haveing fainting spells when that eastern european count gets near her...and dashing Dorian Grey loves shoeing off the houses artwork except for this one covered painting he studiously avoids

Another contest could involve dramatic readings by hosts and guests of thematic material (poe,hitchcock, etc:) and people guess what work the excerpt is from...prizes to include candy bags and things like dollar prints of the books, edgar allen poe action figures (archiemcphee.com among other places) etc;
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose the Right Vase for Your Flower Arrangement
How to Host a Craft Night
How to Make Tissue Paper Flowers
How to Make Glittering Candles
How to Win At Arm Wrestling
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...