A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crayon transfers with regular crayons  (Read 13751 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quillian91
Maniac with Hot Glue...

Craftster: Where Tacky is Tasteful.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007 10:14:53 PM »

Ooo! This sounds like fun! I must try this then!! I shudder with pleasure while thinking up some cute Oingo Boingo band T's, or some Star Trek Spock and Kirk ones!

Woot Woot! I love makeing T shirts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hazzard, Approach with caution! Especially if I am holding a Hot Glue gun!
http://www.wists.com/quillian91
zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007 10:34:21 PM »

they also make crayons that you can find in the sewing section of wal mart that are made just for this, they work really well!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007 04:42:55 PM »

julietalpha I didnt know about the 50% synthetic limitation and I did it on 100% cotton pillow case, my camera is totally flat at the moment and its late but I will post a pic tomorrow to show you how it came out, it is faintish, but I reckon if you pressed really hard with the crayons you would get a reasonable transfer, come to think of it I used cheap crayons so perhaps if you used better crayons with better pigments you might get a better result.

Havent a clue about the oil pastels, it would be worth a try but I wonder if the oil medium that suspends the pigment in the pastels would be properly removed by this method, if it wasnt it might be sticky. But if you do try it let me know how you get on.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

julietalpha
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007 04:28:13 PM »

Thanks for posting a picture Edel.  It looks great!  Sounds like your recipe is okay for cotton stuff too.  I'll definitely have to try now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007 09:30:51 AM »

Sorry to drag up an oldish thread , but did anyone end up trying this with oil pastels?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
craftyhandbags
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007 06:16:20 PM »

I made my daughter a nightshirt with the crayon transfer method described by edel, and even after a trip through the washer and dryer, it turned out OK! 

It says "Diva In Training" and the thing in the top corner is a crown.
The shirt is a cotton blend, but I'm not sure the percentages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007 08:46:00 AM »

cool it turned out well, but your daughter looks fabulous, too cute

the only limitation with this technique is that the colours are not very intense but its good for pastely effects, 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyhandbags
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007 09:52:38 AM »

Yeah, I used bright pinks and purples, and it ended up pastel looking.  I wonder what those neon crayons end up like.  Hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
xJillian182x
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007 07:34:20 PM »

this is a really great idea! I'm planning on being an art teacher in a few years, and this would be a great project (not letting little kids use the iron obviously haha)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kbauer
Yarn Geek, Lover of Rainbows

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007 02:45:07 PM »

Hey everyone. I know this is an old-ish thread, but I am trying out the crayon theory (as I'm typing this..I took a break to search for tips haha), and the one thing I've learned (the hard way unfortunately) is that if you want your image to have a nice solid outline, make sure you color everything in BEFORE you outline (I'm doing my outline with black). Luckily, I caught my oops before I got to the smaller details, but I am having to do some major recon to make sure I don't smear the black in with the yellow and orange. Just in case you all were wondering, I'm attempting to do a PotterPuff Ron, wearing a crown. I free hand drew the puff on a piece of paper and then I plan on ironing it on. Then I bought a black fabric marker (which seems a little weak if you ask me, but I will try it) to pen in the words "Weasley is MY king!" Hopefully it turns out okay and I'm sure if it does, I will be posting pictures of it all over the place. I love me some Ron!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

<3 I heart Rupert Grint! <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 19/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 15/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 16/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 17/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 14/30
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...