A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 305,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for cheap merino  (Read 1270 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

drcliquet
« on: October 17, 2006 07:35:01 AM »

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some merino yarn for a sweater. I don't want to ruin myself and if a sweater is normally 600 grams and merino is at least 6.50 $ per 50 grams that makes it a 78 $ sweater at least. Maybe too much! I've read many of you like merino from KnitPicks. Any other suggestion? I didn't see anything nice on eBay.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knit_north
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006 09:50:55 AM »

Patons classic merino

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=88320&PRODID=85778

cheap! i [heart] merino
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006 09:52:36 AM »

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are somewhere that you have access to Walmart or Zellers (Canadian cheap-o department store) you might be able to still find Bernat Luna, which was 100% merino wool.  I just checked the Bernat site and it looks like they discontinued it for some reason.  It didn't have the widest range of colors, but it was fairly inexpensive, had good yardage per skein and held up nicely (at least until I felted the sweater I made with it.  d'oh)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
meriellyn
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006 10:33:16 AM »

What weight yarn are you looking for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drcliquet
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006 12:16:19 PM »

What weight yarn are you looking for?

Anything, I'm just feeling like having a merino sweater. As it's a warm fabric I guess DK or worsted would be OK.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006 08:26:32 PM »

If there's a Michael's near you, they're having a sale on all yarn this week and the Patons Classic merino is about $4 per skein. Knitpicks has Merino Style which they call a DK, but I think it's only a little thinner than worsted and I use it on larger needles the same as worsted. It's $2.49 for a 123 yd skein.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006 12:49:18 AM »

Patons Classic Wool is 100%merino wool, and www.yarnbythebag.com sells it for $27.80USD per bag.  Each bag has 6 balls of yarn, 100gm each, 223 yds per ball, worsted weight.  It is not superwashed wool, I have used it for making a couple of fulled purses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006 09:07:13 AM »

If there's a Michael's near you, they're having a sale on all yarn this week and the Patons Classic merino is about $4 per skein. Knitpicks has Merino Style which they call a DK, but I think it's only a little thinner than worsted and I use it on larger needles the same as worsted. It's $2.49 for a 123 yd skein.

sue

Yikes!  I wish I wouldn't have read this!  I immediately drove to Michael's & bought lots of Classic Merino and SWS.  15 skeins total.  My credit card is smoking.  But look at all the money I saved!  Grin

(Honestly, THANKS for the info!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
danceisthenewmosh
Photographs may not lie, but liars may photograph

Kissing Toby Goodbye

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006 09:09:57 AM »

sue

Yikes!  I wish I wouldn't have read this!  I immediately drove to Michael's & bought lots of Classic Merino and SWS.  15 skeins total.  My credit card is smoking.  But look at all the money I saved!  Grin

(Honestly, THANKS for the info!)

I went to my Michael's and they were pretty much out of everything but varigated and I was not a fan.  I think it was fates way of saying 'No more yarn.'  Too bad I am going to go to the other Michael's on my way home!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apologies to whoever were upset by my absent.  I was in and out of the hospital from December 2007 until June 2008.
drcliquet
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006 09:54:20 AM »

Thanks a lot everybody! I'm definitely heading to Michaels after work and I'll keep an eye on the websites you suggested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Advanced Keying Using Two Keys - Shake 4.1
How to Motion Blur - Motion 3
How to Work the Lights - Motion 3 Part 1
How to Do Zoom Blur - Motion 3
How to Control Your Inset - Houdini
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...