A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tricot [?] dress  (Read 470 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wabbit
« on: October 17, 2006 02:37:55 AM »

I am going to make a dress out of some stretchy fabric - not sure if "tricot" is the right word, anyway, it's really comfortable, it's knit and somewhat resembles to T-shirt fabric but is thicker.

The thing is, I had envisioned the dress quite girly, with darts and a seam at the waist to attach a wide A-linish skirt etc. It only now came to me that if I've understood it right, lots of seams are no good for stretch fabrics and the stretch alone is supposed to give the shaping. But I don't want a simple, straight tube dress nor a wrap dress.

Any ideas ? Inspirational patterns ? Which do less harm, horizontal or vertical seams ? Or are the seams altogether okay if I use a serger ? Would I still be able to get away without a zipper ?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006 02:56:07 AM by wabbit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Even if I were thinking, which I am not, that would not show that I exist."
Jelly.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006 03:25:36 AM »

You probably wouldnt want to do darts in a knit fabric, because knits are really hard to sew in a straight stitch with out the stitches popping. You probably wouldnt need darts anyway.
But seams and what not are all right, especially if you use an overlocker (serger) or a zigzag stitch, or a overlocking stitch (some newer machines do these, theyre like this l_l_l_l_l_l_l_l but they dont cut your fabric like an overlocker does).
As for horizontal or vertical seams, it doesnt really matter. But its a little easier to sew seams that arent on the stretchy grain (like, the side seams of a stretchy t-shirt would be like this) but not a lot easier, and its more important to have the stretch going the right way.
And depending on how stretchy your fabric is, you shouldnt need a zip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006 05:58:44 AM »

I made simplicity 4074 from some cotton jersey fabric (which is probably what you're talking about in your post).  It had pleats in the top shoulders, but no darts - like Jelly said, it really wouldn't be necessary.  I chronicaled my progress on this pattern on my site:
http://www.stacysews.com/projects/simplicity_4074/

I used a stretch stitch function on my machine for the seams (or a tripple stitch function).  It is sort of a tiny zigzag stitch that moves with the fabric and doesn't break.  It is, however, a PITA if you need to rip out this seam with your seam ripper.  On the hem, I used a small zigzag, you could also use a twin needle.  I own a serger, but didn't use it for this project.  Knits are a nice fabric to work with - you never have to finish the fabric edges if you don't want to (since they don't frey)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wabbit
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006 07:05:21 AM »

Thanks ! That makes me much more confident .. which, of course, may be a mistake Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Even if I were thinking, which I am not, that would not show that I exist."
stacysews
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006 07:28:40 AM »

Sewing with knits is pretty easy - just get one or two under your belt and you won't think anything about it anymore!  Really, just stick with the zigzag stitches (and walking foot if needed) and don't stretch your fabric as you're sewing and you'll do fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Almond Oil for Healthy Hair
How to Do a Curly Half Updo
How to Use Hair Dryer Attachments
How to Do Cute Hairstyles for Long Hair
How to Do Cute Hairstyles for Medium Length Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...