A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,900
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: shopping cart issues  (Read 1908 times)
Tags for this thread: shopping_carts  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goodgirl

A good idea today beats a perfecct one tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2003 12:29:04 PM »

hi-
after looking around on this site for a bit, i came upon a reccomendation for mals-e free shopping cart feature by plainmabel (nice site by the way...) and so, i checked it out.

although in the future i'd probably like to have something a little more upgraded, i am just starting on the path to having my own e-biz and i want to keep it simple, so mals seems like a good idea (plus it's free!).

so--- my question is this...with this type of cart, the customer clicks on "buy now" for an item.... and then the item is put in the cart. They either continue to shop or go to checkout...okay. They give their address etc. (which I assume you get, and then you can add them to yr mailing list and ship them their stuff) and then what? when do they get shunted off to paypal to give their #? i'm confused.

this is my first post, sorry to technical. i promise i'll put something more interesting up next time! cheers
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GOOD! | For lovely living | www.good-studio.com
OldQlts
shop with me on ebay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003 02:42:44 PM »

hi goodgirl,

this is my first post here too!

i've been using the mals cart for a couple of years. when you receive an order you'll get the customer's name, address, phone, and email addy, along with their order. because the mals cart not integrated with paypal, the customer will have to log into paypal separately. for a free product, i'm quite pleased with the mals cart!
   Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrairiePrimitives is my eBay ID. I tried to put a link here, but it didn't work. Sad
goodgirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003 07:01:37 AM »

yay! i understand! thank you!

so, the service a basic shopping cart provides is really more of a calculator / order recorder. Not a payment processor. that simplifies it! i'll try it for now, and if all goes well, i can upgrade in the future to something more streamlined. it seems like a lot of people who use this site use mal's shopping cart-- good to know.

hope i can put the site up here for comments, soon....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OldQlts
shop with me on ebay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003 07:31:34 AM »

well, this is how the mals cart works ... i don't know about all basic shopping carts.

the mals site has a very helpful message board, and you'll generally get some replies within an hour or two when you post over there.

the "hardest" part about mals (and that's as in time-consuming, not difficulty) is setting up the look of the mals pages; that took maybe a couple hours. also, be sure that you name the buttons EXACTLY the way they tell you, and have them in the right directory on your web server. honestly, i can't believe there's something SO nifty that's still free!!!

i look forward to seeing your site!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrairiePrimitives is my eBay ID. I tried to put a link here, but it didn't work. Sad
plainmabel
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003 08:17:29 AM »

I'm a very faithful mal's user as well.  What I found to be most difficult wasn't so much the visual set-up, but the shipping set-up.  I needed a shipping system that would charge different amounts for different types of items, plus offer standard us, 1 day us, canada, and international.  It took awhile and some trial and error to get it all right, but it works beautifully now.

BTW, I've noticed that a number of people have placed fake orders to test out my cart -- I'm totally cool with people doing this, just please use the name Test Test or something so I know to delete it and to not try and contact you regarding an incomplete order.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
goodgirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003 08:50:17 AM »

thank you so much- go mal, go!
i think once i do get it all figured out, i'll be doing a few of my own test-tests...

i don't know why i'm so paranoid about this.... i think i have shoppingcart-ophobia. haha... i guess,  that until i conquer my fear (or my new-ness to setting up a working website) i can always just do it the old-fashioned way for a while, too. have people link to my email and then ask them to pay via paypal-   lots of the stuff is one-of-a-kind.

i'm taking it slow, though. even more than selling, i am interested in sharing the stuff i'm doing. so i know i'll work it all our eventually. but some of the sites i have been linking to from craftster.org + the girl wide web, venus zine, etc. have been really inspiring.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wonton Shrimp That Is As Easy To Make As It Is Delicious
Singapore Kitchen: How to Make Fish Head Curry
How to Make Sriracha Sauce
Duck Spring Roll Recipe
Chef Shares Recipe For Mentaiko Spaghetti
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...