A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,236
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ferret sweaters?  (Read 1454 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 29, 2006 08:02:52 PM »

hi everyone. My sisiter has just be come the proud mom of two ferrets. Saphire has adrenail disease(not to worry he will be seeing vet for treatment) and is currently naked. Thus he needs a sweater or something while he's getting his treatment and till his hair grows back. she's totally going to love making him clothes and he's very sweet and tollerant.
My sis can crochet and I can sew so anyone here make thier ferrets warm shirts or jackets? Please share them as saphire needs some clothes for when he's out playing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaerin
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006 03:42:49 PM »

In my experience, even the most docile and cuddly ferret will *hate* any attempt to put clothing on them.  Her little darling would dearly appreciate some blankets, or snuggly sleep sacks, or bedding.  If you both want to craft for them, I highly suggest going that route instead of trying to get him acclimated to sweaters.  I'd just hate to see all your hard work unappreciated by the little fuzzbutt!

Best of luck to her and her new kids, and kudos to her for taking on an adrenal ferret. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel7383
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006 03:46:53 PM »

Yay for pet love! I agree with the sleeping sacks, or some really cozy hammocks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006 06:48:15 PM »

we've gotten lots of blankets and stuff for them to curl up in. But the little guy gets so cold when he's out of the cage that's why we're worried. it's winter time here and we don't want him to be too cold when he's playing. Smiley He's very good natured so he might actually le ther dress him up. (believe it or not he let me bateh him, dry him and trim his toenails without a fuss) We did try the hammock idea and he doesn't really like it at all. I may have to try a cube or something.
So anything would be greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaerin
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006 05:05:09 AM »

Crochet Ferret Hammock:
http://www.angelfire.com/oh/crochethook/patts/ferret.html

Loose instructions on making your own crochet ferret sweater:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0408&L=FERRET-SEARCH&P=R5040&D=0&H=0&I=-3&O=T&T=0

Hope that helps.   I've also added more websites in the stickied "pet tutorials" thread in the completed pet projects board.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006 05:20:32 AM by amaerin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
everkutz
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006 08:52:43 PM »

Something simple you might try....Cut the sleeve off from one of your old long-sleeved sweaters or sweatshirts and use the cuff as the neck hole-make sure it isn't too tight-and then try it on the ferret and figure out where you can cut out for the front legs.  Cut the length of the sleeve/coat just prior to the back legs. 

I did this when we had a new but sick kitten with short hair who was always shivering.  She would either be in the shirt I was wearing, close to me for warmth, or she would wear her "sleeve" jacket to play! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
laur328
Blood, Sweat and Crafts.

Let's get high on art supplies and hibernate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006 09:11:34 PM »

try some warm socks and just cut arm holes.  i dont have any experience with ferrets, but my dog Lilly hates to have any clothing on her, she just wont move when shes got anything covering anything more than 50% of her body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rooftopstudio
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006 07:48:30 AM »

Oh thanks ever so much everyone! Saphire will greatly appreciate all your help! The idea of socks is gret I didn't think about that. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gehryn
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006 11:45:59 PM »

BE VERY CAREFUL OF YARN THINGS AND FERRETS.  They will somehow cut the yarn--probably by chewing--and it will unravel.  That leaves a string hanging that is connected to something.  As the ferret twists and turns they could very easily strangle themselves.  Our ferrets loved underwear--has an entrance and an exit!  Be sure your ferret is on the correct diet--that disease is related to diet.  There is some stuff in a tube that is high calorie to help the skinny ferrets and recovering ones gain weight back--I think it is called Ferretvite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006 10:59:52 AM »

The ferret was on the wrong diet. But he lived with someone else then and my sister has corrected it. He was eating some horrible stuff.
And he's not thin at all. I've had my ferrets for 4 years and have been advising my sister in her care for hers. I think you may be thinking of some other diesease though because in all my reasearch before and after owning ferrets I've never pulled up anything saying it's related to diet. However if you have some article saying otherwise I"d love to read it. You can never learn too much in my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sun-Protective Clothing for Kids
Trendy Hairstyles for Kids
Tween Boys Back to School Fashion
Hottest Back to School Fashion Trends
Cool Looks For School Kids
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner
Monsters, Monsters Everywhere

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...