A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
819 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: guinea pig cage...  (Read 773 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Crazy_dude6662
you know the problem with real life? No theme music.

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2006 05:40:12 PM »

okay, basically what happened is - we got a guinea pig from pet store, got food, straw, bottom of cage covering stuff.
noticed it had a runny mucasy nose and brought it to the vet (was bringing it in anyway for a look over to make sure it was ok) vet gave injection, confirmed it was femal (pet shop didnt know) we named her cinemon (sp??)
guinea pig didnt like to move that much, noticed she was dragging her hind legs. brought it to the vet to get her second injection. said this to vet. found out that one of her back legs was fractured and the other was paralysed, and the fracture was there to long to be fixed. we all deicided it would be best for cinemon to be put to sleep.

rang pet shop, told them what happened, they apologised. explained that she came from a large group and that was most likly why they didnt notice. the vet told us the petshop was a good place. the petshop offered to get us two female guinea pigs in compensation.
so though its sad cinemon is gone she is no longer in pain.

now onto the cage. its too small for two (we were planning on getting cinemon a freind and moving them to a larger, home-built cage)
so we are building the cage, only problem we cannot get the cube things (as recomended by CavyCages)
so we are using a kind of clear plastic stiff stuff that comes in sheets (cant remember what its called)

so my problems are
-how to join the edges together (the sides and the sides to the bottom)
-how to get a second level thing (we have the bottom level which is 8 square feet or bigger, definatly no smaller than 8 square feet)
-how to create a tunnel.

the plastic stuff would shatter if cut or drilled (or so my dad tells me)

so my sister and i (because my dad was absolutly no help in the slightest) came up with the idea of a soldering gun. it would melt the plastic and "cut" through it. our dad agreed.
so if you need to cut plastic that will shatter if cut or drilled try a soldering gun.

and help is much appreciated Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006 09:13:19 AM »

I'm not sure where you live, but in Canada you can find the cubes at Wal-mart, Home Depot, and Canadian Tire. In the US you can find them at Wal-mart, Linens n' Things, and Target. If you enter your location here, it will tell you nearby places: http://www.guineapigcages.com/where.htm .

I don't know how you would make a second level out of the plastic you have now, but if you have cubes, it is really easy!

If you really still can't find cubes, you can use wire closet shelving. They sell it at hardware stores, and will cut it down to size for you. You can make a second level with the wire shelving too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
Crazy_dude6662
you know the problem with real life? No theme music.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006 01:15:10 PM »

thanks, im in ireland, and nowhere sells them. we figured it out though. (yay)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gehryn
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006 11:59:35 PM »

Use plastic storage totes--some even have wheels.  You don't need the lid, or else drill lots of holes in the lid. Use PVC pipe for tunnels--I prefer the ones with holes that are used in drainfields.  It gives some ventilation and makes cleaning easier, but it does leak urine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matchbook Canvas Art
How to Get Your Artwork Shown at a Gallery
How to Draw Bobo Haha from Generator Rex
How to Draw Botasky from Apocalypse Meow
How to Draw Generator Rex
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...