A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: getting rid of smoke smell?  (Read 2277 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amalas
« on: October 16, 2006 08:48:49 AM »

My husband and I recently picked up a dresser from the curb that someone was throwing away.  It very closely resembled a dresser we already had, so we thought we'd give it a shot.  Well, shortly after we got it home, we found out that it smells like cigarette smoke.  Angry

We tried airing it out.  Then I sprinkled baking soda in all the drawers and on top and aired it out.  It still smells like smoke.   Angry

I'd really like to keep it because it's in good condition, but if we can't get the smell out, we'll have to throw it out.  Any other suggestions before we kick this to the curb?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood
~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
zippecar
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006 01:40:41 PM »

I took some newspaper sheets, lined the drawers and poured approx a cup of no-scent cat litter in each drawer and then covered the entire piece with a bed sheet.

Being perfectly honest I walked off from my previously owned dressed for about a month (finals craziness ensued) but when I got back to having time to work on the dresser, it didn't smell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please spay or neuter your pet!!!!
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006 01:45:11 PM »

You coul;d sand & refinish it if you want a project! I had a thrifted chair that smelled and I washed it a bajillion times and sprayed it with febreeze and eventually it was better, but still faintly smoky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006 05:36:00 PM »

Cat liter works for taking smells out of just about everything from wood to Tuppeware.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006 07:17:36 PM »

you mean if I buried my beautiful second hand wool coat with the fur collar with kitty litter it would have worked to get rid of the smoke smell and saved me 39.99 in dry cleaning?  Why didn't I find this five days ago??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yellowladybug
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006 01:09:49 AM »

You could try placing small bowls of vinegar in each drawer, leaving them closed overnight then giving the whole thing a good scrubbing with a vinegar/water mixture.  Or, were you going to refinish or repaint the dresser?  If so, by stripping it you'll probably get rid if most if not all of the smoke smell since you'll be taking off the oily nicotine residue.  Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists-http://www.wists.com/yellowladybug
Amalas
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006 05:50:32 AM »

Good news!  We tried the cat litter and the smell has gone down considerably!  In fact, it's almost all gone.  =)  We're going to leave the cat litter in just a little longer to see if we can get rid of the last of it.

We're actually not going to refinish it because it already matches another piece of furniture we have (which is why we picked it up in the first place).

Thanks for the cat litter suggestion, gals!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood
~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
ShaynaYasha
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006 05:29:29 PM »

Cat liter is the best !!  You could also try putting a fabric softner sheet in each drawer.  That will take out the last of the odors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

""Mother is the name of God on the lips and hearts of all children."- Eric Draven"
craftjunkie
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006 10:32:29 AM »

wash the outside  with a  mix of half vineger & hot water out side.. as soon as the vinegar dries the vinegar smell will be gone... i had to this to walls of a an apartment i rented cuase of the renters before us smoked & after that it faintly could smell it... then we used candles & incense & you couldn't smell it after that at all ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Turkish Quilting
The Art of Kilim Weaving and Miniature Painting
The Art of Glass and Ceramic Tile Painting
The Art of Turkish Ebru
The Art of Charcoal Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...