A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,446
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any advice for starting a craft group?  (Read 909 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kell
« on: October 16, 2006 08:36:16 AM »

I am trying to start a crafting group/club here at Hiram College.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to do this correctly (i.e. without screwing up too badly).  I am currently sending out ads on the bulk email, to see how much interest there is for one. 

Any reponses will be greatly appreciated  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
rachelo
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006 06:11:03 AM »

I teach at high school and I think the best way to start this would be to get your teachers involved.  You'll need an advisor, I think.  Maybe you'll get lucky enough and find a teacher who knits, but I don't think the teacher would have to knit to be involved in sponsering your club.  Good luck!  I'd love to sponser a stitch n bitch group at my school, but I don't think kids in Las Vegas would see the need for scarves and hats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kell
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006 06:00:00 PM »

Thanks, but I'm actually at a college, so I'll be pretty much on my own for this. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace
  swap info
danceisthenewmosh
Photographs may not lie, but liars may photograph

Kissing Toby Goodbye

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006 06:04:28 PM »

Why don't you start on your area boards and see if there is any intrest there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apologies to whoever were upset by my absent.  I was in and out of the hospital from December 2007 until June 2008.
rachelo
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006 06:12:19 PM »

Ooh!  Sorry, crazy_girl!  You can tell where my brain is.  Too much grading!  I think the best way to let people know about your crafting group would be to go to dorms (or buildings) and flyer bulletin boards.  Usually you need to get a special stamp or permission to do this, but I don't think you'll have a problem getting it!  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kell
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006 09:02:46 PM »

Thanks!!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace
  swap info
knitchick2
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006 08:42:36 AM »

You could start a Yahoo group.  It worked fantastically for our knitting club.  And then post flyers directing people to the online group.  Does your college have a process for starting new clubs and activities?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kell
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006 10:35:52 AM »

Sadly, I have no idea.   Grin

I started by sending out mass emails, and I have had about six or seven people respond. Which  is pretty awesome for Hiram (I was hoping for five!!! We only have 800 students, so all the clubs are pretty small).  I figured I wanted to make sure that I had enough interest before getting into making the club an official one. 

I am thinking about Monday emailing the people who responded to see what the best times for them would be.  I don't really know what to plan for the fiirst meeting, though.  Just a get-to-know-you, here's what we're doing sort of thing, or plan something elaberate out? 

Also, until I figure out how to make this an official club, we have no budget.   Sad  So creative ideas wil be helpful.  Also, does anyone know where would be a good place to ask for donated yarn/knitting needles/crochet hooks?  Two of the people who responded said that they didn't do any crafts, but would like to learn.  There aren't any yarn shops around -- just a quilt shop in the next town, and a Walmart and Michael's a few towns over. 

Thank everyone so much for your help!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace
  swap info
knitchick2
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006 01:25:46 PM »

Here's my additional 2 cents:
Pick a date and time, and people will show up if they can.  If you try to make it work for everyone, you'll go around in circles.  Tell group members to bring their own materials.  Assuming these are crafty people already, they will likely have something already in progress.  If they want to learn a new craft, like knitting, suggest starter materials for them i.e. worsted weight yarn and size 8 needles.  All you have to provide is the atmosphere in which to socialize, chat, learn from each other, etc. (Assuming that's the overall purpose of the club.)  If you meet in a public place, like a coffee shop, people can purchase their own food and beverages.  If you're meeting in a common area on campus, you could suggest that crafters bring a snack to share.  But even that is not totally necessary.  It might be a slow start, but if you build it, they will come.  Wink  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScatteredZen
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006 06:39:14 PM »

Do you have boards around campus specifically for posting flyers? You could make some eye-catching flyers for cheap and post them up around campus.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
All That Is Red
Author Anna Caltabiano Talks Pain and Survival
Being A Writer Helps Me With Depression
The “Right” Way to Fight Book Trailer
The Idolatry of God by Peter Rollins
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...