A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Unseamly Sweater  (Read 2564 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bonitapita
« on: October 16, 2006 05:19:38 AM »

Hi.  I was hoping to get some information from anyone on your experience with this pattern. 

When you did the waistline pattern (the Ch1, sc), did it "walk around."  Uh, in other words, when I was doing the first 13 rows, I would begin and end at the "seam,"  but in the waist pattern, it shifted to the left one st each time.  Does that sound at all familiar?  I can't figure out any way to get it to not do it.  Ugh, I wish patterns would be a little more explicit about odd things, especially for those of us not so use to unusual things crochet can do.

Any help would be appreciated.  If you want to include any warnings of roadblocks I will find ahead or ways you changed it that you were pleased with, that would be great, too.  I am normally a "figure it out myself" kinda girl, but I'm new-ish to crochet AND I'm trying to get this done before a big party. 

Thanks so much!!

Tanya
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amethyst
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006 06:14:01 AM »

I started this and gave up halfway.

Did you use a bigger crochet hook for the foundation chain? I found out the hard way that it's very, very important.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bonitapita
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006 02:49:19 PM »

Yes, Amethyst, I was about 4 rows in when I saw that I needed to use a larger needle to make the initial chain stitch.  I figured it was best to frog at that point than later...!

Maybe you can try this pattern again later.  I think its really going to be nice.

T
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shine
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006 12:23:18 PM »

bonitapita-- i have the yarn for this project and have started it several times. i had to frog cause my foundation chain was too tight. as amethyst describes, i decided to do the first row with a larger hook. unfortunately the next largest hook i own from the one i was using for the sweater gauge is about a 2mm jump. this hook caused the foundation row was wayyyyyy to big. so, i'm putting unseamly on hold until i'm able to purchase a better sized hook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anfarwal
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006 10:42:16 PM »

Whereever Shine goes, I follow, since we both have been having the same issues with the unseamly sweater. I've frogged the thing about 10 times, and right now I'm stuck on the sleeves (I can't get the decreases right). 

When I did the waist, it "walked around" like you described, but you can barely tell when you do the rest of the bodice.

Good luck! Let me know when you get to the sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006 04:55:59 PM »

so is the next size up hook ok for the foundation chain? and otherwise is the sizing ok? i'm trying to make this for my sister for christmas who is a few sizes bigger than me (and in another state so i cant compare). i just realized the foundation chain is way too small and now im scared to even try and finish even if i make it bigger. any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006 10:33:27 AM by msalowishus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkyjunkie
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006 09:50:26 PM »

I can't speak about the pattern with any experience. But, I'm assuming this is done in the round.

I've had that problem when working on items in the round, where the 'seam' walks. I have a chunky socks pattern where I think I lose track of the turning chain and stitch into it, so the start for the next row shifts. I don't know ... just a thought ...  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funky junkie ~ addictively good handcrafted jewelry ~ www.funkyjunkie.biz ~ the blog @ www.funkyjunkie.biz/blog
shine
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006 01:05:12 PM »

i FINALLY made it to the craft supply store today to purchase a hook that was one size larger than my 6.5 mm, which is the hook i'm planning to use on the body of the unseamly. surprisingly i couldn't find a 7.00 mm. i got a pack of acrylic hooks that range from 8.00 up to 11.50 mm. i couldn't find these larger size hooks in metal, either.

i did discover that my local A.C Moore accepts coupons for Michael's so i got the 4-pack of hooks for 4$ with my coupon.

as soon as i make new progress on my foundation chain and the first few sweater rounds i'll report back!!

msalowishus, is the sweater a surprise for your sis or does she know you are working on it for her xmas gift? given the amount of time you'll surely devote to crocheting the sweater i KNOW you'll both want it to fit. maybe you could ask for her measurements just to make sure you are in the right ballpark size-wise?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shawnee/or
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006 09:12:03 PM »

I made this sweater and had the foundation chain issue as well, and I used a larger hook too.  Next time, I would suggest using a Chainless Foundation.  The following description is from Bonnie Pierce of Elegant Crochet (http://home.comcast.net/~gandal195/MoebiusShawlPattern.htm)

Chainless foundation

Chain 3, yo, and insert your hook in the first chain, yo and draw up a loop, like you would for a regular dc. Now, instead of proceeding with your dc,
chain 1. This is the chain that you will work your next stitch into. Now go ahead and finish your first dc (yo, draw through two loops) twice.

For the next stitch, there is a little bar where you made your chain 1. Yo, insert your hook into the bar, chain 1, then finish the dc.

I also had to upsize the hook for the waist since my waist doesn't go in (I'm more of an apple shape) but the change in stitch pattern helped me look like I did a little.  LOL!

I won a 2nd place ribbon at the Oregon state fair with this, and I didn't even have time to add the sleeves; it was made with blue Silky Tweed.  Picture on my blog:  http://shawneett.blogspot.com/2006/09/oregon-state-winners.html
Shawnee/OR
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Smoothing Services - Safe and Effective Alternative to Relaxers
Bombshell Hair-Styling Tips
Great Hair Rollers For Bouncy Waves
Flatironing Tips For Your Hair
How to Touch Up Your Blowout
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...