A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,799
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand painted ceramics-Picture heavy! *Crazy lady just added more pics*  (Read 3497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2004 02:29:03 PM »

Hello.  I've been taking a ceramics class every Saturday morning, for the past three years.  Here is just a sampling of some things I've made.

This is a pot I made using pottery glazes.  I wish I had a better digi camera to show the pics better.

Here's a fun little plaque I have hanging in my back entry way.  I used a crystal glaze on the face and outdoor acrylics for the background.

This is a piece I made in a one-day seminar earlier this Spring.  It is made using under glaze, and then has fired gold & clear glaze on the top.

I've made so many projects.  Its my weekly therapy! I haven't taken any pics of pieces using my favorite technique, dry brushing.  All of the pieces I have worked with have been poured from a mold.  I get to work with "greenware" (i.e. pieces that have been dried but not fired, generally very fragile).  For all of you who enjoy going to the paint-a-pottery places, this is so much more fun and far more affordable!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004 08:04:01 AM by 706Designs » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluegum

Deranged Speed Knitting

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004 03:31:34 PM »

I love the last one! they are all really good though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if i could be anything i'd be your tear/because i was born in your eye/lived in you cheek/and died on your lip
jazgordon
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004 03:55:10 PM »

Ooh! Ceramics! My new favorite, too.  I've been painting since last November, when I went to visit my MIL for Thanksgiving. She owns a ceramics shop.  And she's giving me a kiln for my birthday!! Whee!! I should have it next month.

I don't drybrush, but I do wetbrush. I even got to go to a seminar at the Doc Holliday plant in Kentucky this past March. (Pics of the pieces I made there: http://www.jazgordon.com/wordpress/index.php?p=55#more-55 )

Is that vase from a David Hoff seminar? I REALLY want to go to one of those. There's a ceramics show here in October, and I think he's doing some classes.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004 04:01:30 PM by jazgordon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004 07:46:52 PM »

Thanks for the complements!

Jazgordon- I am so jealous, I would love to have a kiln!  Lucky you.  I took a look at your pictures, very nice!  I like the effects with the black underglaze and the earthtone glazes.  I"m not familiar  with the majolica technique.  What is it?

I love the bird watering can.  I'm not familiar with color scribing.  Is it pretty much painting with a pen that is loaded with one-strokes or underglaze?  I'd love to hear more.

I'm really excited that there are other people on this board that enjoy ceramics.  It ties with jewelry making for my favorite craft.

No, my vase is not from a David Hoff seminar.  My regular instructor holds 1 day seminars about once every year or so.  It was really interesting to make.  We had pre-cleaned the greenware before class.  During class we painted the white underglaze on the vase and rubbed it while slightly damp to make it smooth.  This was my first project with actual shading.

Ceramics is not really big where I live.  Several shops around here have closed in the past couple of years.  My instructors shop is absolutely awesome.  I have been in some other shops and they are not as well organized and clean as my instructor's, nor is there as nice of a selection.  There hasn't been a ceramics show around here in years!!!  If you don't mind me asking, where do you live that you can go to Hoff's seminar?

I will have to post more pics when I get a chance.  I have been carving out a picture of my state capital onto a plaque that I painted black underglaze on.  Its taken me over 3 months to do!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004 08:23:57 AM by 706Designs » THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004 08:03:18 AM »

Ok, so I'm obsessed  Cheesy

Here's some more pictures of my ceramics (taken by my lousy quality digi phone)

This project took me close to 50 hours to complete.  It started out as a blank slate.  I painted everything black, had it soft fired, then scratched out a picture of my State Capital.  Once it was re-fired and glazed, I put gold on the domes.  (Bonus points to those who can accurately identify this state capital, no cheating from those of you who know where I live!!)  I haven't attached the frame yet.

The ginger jar is my very first project, ever, and I'm very proud of it.  There is a light that goes inside, but the bulb is burnt out, at the moment.  I completed this using a drybrush technique:

and side 2:

Here is a platter done in underglaze and decals.  I got the inspiration for this piece from an antique plate:

The last piece I'll add on today is done in underglaze & amazeaglaze (overglaze), golded, lustered, and then I glued on some jewels.  Its a little more glitzy than I normally do, but I like how it turned out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimiko2

You be you, let the others worry about the rest!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004 08:13:35 AM »

Those are absolutely gorgeous. I totally love the ginger pot.

Hmm....wonder where there's a ceramics class around me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." - Judy Garland
Elphabia
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004 11:10:23 AM »

Your stuff is absolutly gorgous!!!!!!!!!! I took a couple of classes when I was in my earlly teens and have picked it up from time to time since then, but right now with 2 4yr olds running around and a baby on the way, there is no way I could do any at home. Hmmmmm, thinking cermic class may be the perfect "mommy-time". Thanks for the inspiration  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004 06:11:33 PM »

Elphabia-  Ceramic class is perfect for mommy time or "me" time.  Lots of people with babies/children make really cute baby lamps and other decorations, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maria
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004 12:48:28 PM »

Your pieces are so beautiful! I'm taking a ceramics class right now and NOTHING has come out as good as any of those you made. You are so talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Maria
jazgordon
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004 08:40:33 AM »

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I haven't had time to come back to this board!

I haven't been to a David Hoff seminar, but my MIL has been taking classes from him for years and years, so it's almost as good. LOL. She's taught me a lot. One day I want to go to Reno for one of his seminars he does there.  Most of the shops around here only have basic dry brushing classes.

The watering can - first we basecoated it with stains and then we drew the birds on with a pen - I can't remember the name of the pen and my notebook from the seminar is buried in Christmas stuff at the moment.  Then we brushed on the color with smaller brushes, just kind of dropping it on, almost in scribbles. The watering can was fun. I usually enjoy fired products a lot more, but I loved doing the watering can.

I got my kiln - but I need to get an electrician out. No 220 outlets in my garage. Miracle of miracles, though, the wiring is there - I just need the wires hooked to the fuse box and an outlet put in. My FIL says it will take about 15 minutes and less t han $20 for supplies, and I'll be good to go. Now I've got a whole bunch of new stuff to learn, about kiln maintenance and firing and such.  And since I'm getting a divorce, I'm guessing my MIL won't be the fount of information that I had counted on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Selecting the Photographs for the Book Art and Soul
Brian Smith on Working with People
Inspiration for the Book Art and Soul
Framing the Shots for the Book Art and Soul
How to Use Your Lens Angle of View
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...