A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
837 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pottery Schmottery  (Read 9340 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2004 09:44:38 AM »

arizabif, that is absolutely beautiful.  They make wall hanging stuff that will hold very heavy items.  If you find a stud in your wall, and hang it from that, you shouldn't have any problem hanging it on your wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
recyclednew
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004 05:48:23 AM »

That is beautiful! I have worked with clay pretty much all my life! I love making sculptures to hang on the walls! What I do is get some brackets of some sort, I think the picture hanging D rings would work well on your piece because it's flat. You would want to get the big heavy ones! And epoxy them to the back, one on each side near the top corners, but low enough that you won't see them when looking straight on...let it dry and cure for a full 2 days just to be sure they won't come off! Then, tug on the D ring a bit to make sure it's on there really good! If  it seems to move at all (which it shouldn't, but if there's not enough epoxy or it's moved a lot while curing, it may not be very stable) take some more epoxy and use a toothpick or a small straw to go around the edges really good and seal across the top of the plate of the D ring really good and let it dry and cure again! Once it's dry, you can hang it on the wall! You can put picture hanging hooks in the wall and hang the D rings on them, or you could put picture hanging wire threw the D rings and hang it by the wire. If you do not know how to put a picture hanging wire on the right way, so it doesn't come loose over time, Do not try it! I worked in a frame shop for a while and that is the only reason I attach picture hanging wire to my work! If you get the heavy duty D rings, they are sturdy enough with the epoxy to hang on the wall. The problem with having something like that professionally framed is that you will spend a lot of money and over time the weight of it will basically break the frame! Most frames are just wood with wood glue and a few small metal brackets holding them together! They are fine for photos and the similar but anything wieghing 10 pounds or so will not hold up as well as you'd like! Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

art is a drug in which i cannot live without!
arizabif
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2004 05:19:35 AM »

Hey, wow, I didn't realize this thread was still kicking, or I would have responded sooner!

It probably took 5 hours to make.  Not sure, as it was a few years ago.  I just kept the clay moist with wet newspaper and then wrapped it up in a plastic bag from the dry cleaners.  For some reason, that thin plastic works really well to keep moisture in clay, better than thicker plastic. 

Thanks for the compliments. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NessaGurl
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2004 06:10:15 AM »

that is such a beautiful piece!!!! I have made some relief sculptures like that before, and they really look great if you get them professionally framed. that piece is so pretty that I think it would definitly be worth the money to frame it...something that nice should be on display all the time.

great job
nessagurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2004 01:54:36 PM »

Who says you have to make pots with pottery skills! I think it's a really pretty piece and must be shown off
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
shona
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2005 01:18:46 AM »

Hi
I've recently started a pottery class and am looking for some ideas - so far I've done a couple of bowls in moulds which have been ok, and one bowl from layers of slip, then carved. Apart from that I've done lots of car bowls!!!

Please someone, give me some inspiration!! I'm good at copying, but not at coming up with ideas!!
thanks
Shona
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LiquidScissors
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Who would of known

Hank's a bomb. Long story.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2005 07:27:43 AM »

It would be cool to make a set of tiles in different colors, or tones with that idea of the coils and bubbles.  IT is very cool looking!  It makes me really want to play with clay right now. 

It would so cool to tile a wall with that, but probably smaller versions of course.  =D

Liquid Nails is really great for hanging heavy duty things too, its like glue-nails.  or something. 
bah.

-Liquid
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Is it because you killed a whole bunch of ninjas while it was playing? So now it reminds you of ninjas?"
recyclednew
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2005 08:40:49 AM »

when I took ceramics, there was a manequin torso that somebody had brought in for us to use, and I was the only one that ever really made use of it, but this is one of the sculptures I made...

The title of this one is Venus. The body I made by wraping slabs of clay around the manequin and waiting until it was leather hard (not completely dry but dry enough to hold it's shape) and I cut down the sides to take it off the mannequin and then put it back together with slip. The breast I made into drawers, which is kind of dificult to explain, and all the decorations where added after the final firing! Part of the back/side broke, but only like a layer of clay broke off, so it has this really cool texture on part of it! This one had the most work done to it. All the others are fairly simple but imaginative! (I was always the crazy one in class!)  Cheesy
*sorry the picture is so small  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

art is a drug in which i cannot live without!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Ways To Wear A Fur Vest
Who Wore The Burberry Trench Coat Best: Rachel Zoe or Kris Jenner?
Celebrity Street Style: Zoe Saldana and Kardashians at LAX
Take the Mystery Out of Lingerie Shopping
4 Foolproof Ways to Dress Up for Any Holiday Party
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...