A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
344 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft stores in Japan (in general)  (Read 7364 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PaperBag
« on: October 15, 2006 03:42:22 PM »

The hubby and I are moving to Japan next year. I've recently been bitten by the crafty bug and now the sewing bug is totally creeping up on me. We'll be in Atsugi.

I'm just wondering if craft stores (similar to Michael's) are easy to come by in Japan or if it will have to be a whole day outing just to get some crafty stuff to play with Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrs67november

The Japanese Cajun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006 05:29:15 PM »

I'm originally from Tokyo and grew up around Camp Zama which is near Atusugi.  I met my hubby when he was stationed at Camp Zama. 

Anyhow, here are some of the stores in Tokyo that I love to go.  I attached links though they are in Japanese/French.

-Yuzawaya: The original location is in Kichijoji adjacent to the train station.  There are a few branch stores around Tokyo, including Yamato location which is not far from Atsugi Base.  The one in Kichijoji is the best and my favorite and it occupies an entire 8-story building.   They have everything you can imagine as far as craft supplies go and their fabric section is huge!  I have not been to the one in Yamato, so you will find out how good it is for me.   
http://www.yuzawaya.co.jp

-Okadaya: The one I go to is in Shinjuku and it is located on the west side of the Shinjuku train station.  They are in two buildings next to each other.  One building is dedicated to nothing but fabrics and the other one has other supplies such as yarns, beads, trims, books, etc.
http://www.okadaya.co.jp

-la droguerie: A small branch shop of a French craft store chain in Harajuku/Omote-Sando area that carries yarns, trims, beads, buttons, etc from France.  Their price is really high, but they have so many beautiful and high quality items.  It's worth a visit even though you are not buying anything.   
http://www.ladroguerie.com

There are small craft stores pretty much everywhere in Japan around where you will be.  There are a couple of them in Yokohama which I can't remember the name of.  Anyhow, I don't think you will have to make a big one day trip to get some materials.  Hope you will enjoy your stay there.   

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006 05:07:53 PM by mrs67november » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006 08:52:26 PM »

wow thanks for all the info Smiley I appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toothy
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006 01:59:21 AM »

-Okadaya: The one I go to is in Shinjuku and it is located on the west side of the Shinjuku train station.  They are in two buildings next to each other.  One building is dedicated to nothing but fabrics and the other one has other supplies such as yarns, beads, trims, books, etc.

I was just in Okadaya today and it was incredible.  I`ve never seen so much interesting fabric and materials in my life.  I found Yuzawaya to be pretty good but not nearly as awe inspiring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006 02:05:07 AM »

I've been doing a lot of research on my home-to-be and I *think* I remember hearing something about Shinjuku but now i cant remember what... why is it a special place?? Is it an area of Tokyo?? AHHH  Shocked BRAIN OVERLOAD!

LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toothy
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006 06:11:24 AM »

Tokyo is brain overload. The first trick you`ll have to learn is navigation. 
I`m REAL good at navigating and Tokyo taxes my skills.  First Most of the streets are unnamed, secondly, even if they do have names the map doesn`t necessarily name them. Thirdly, I question if it is even possible to map this crazy city properly.  Many of the streets are little more than alley-ways (they`ll still cram a big bus down them though).

Bring  a sense of humor and adventure and you`ll love it.  Learn what Japanese you can (I`m getting by with a bare minimum, I wish i had worked harder and learned more). Start learning Kanji if at all possible. People will do their best to accomodate you but, let`s be reasonable their best to accomodate you but, let`s be reasonable, it`s their city. 

Be prepared to be stared at - Japan is  Be prepared to be stared at - Japan is a Be prepared to be stared at - Japan is a very homogenous country.  I`ve seen few caucasian faces and only 3 black faces in the last week and a half.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrs67november

The Japanese Cajun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006 07:37:40 PM »

>PaperBag
Shinjuku is a fun place to visit.  There are a few nice department stores as well as many other shops.  There is also a book store called Kinokuniya that carries a large selection of English books/magazines.  It is not too far from Atsugi NAB.  You take Sotetsu line from Sagamino to Yamato, then take Odakyu line from Yamato to Shinjuku. 

>toothy
I am glad to know that you liked Okadaya.  You are right, they carry very interesting materials indeed.  I've seen a quite few designer school students shop for their projects there. 

I'm planning to make another trip home next spring.  I have to make a shopping list, so I won't forget to buy anything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006 07:44:30 PM »

Their streets dont have NAMES?! Oh my gosh. LOL I'm great at navigating through small towns... That's all I've ever known. When I go to Seattle, the amount of traffic and people and busses overwhelms me. I can't imagine being in a place even MORE crowded especially where they dont speak english! AHH!

I'm really looking forward to it though! We are soo excited. We're starting to learn some Japanese right now and they have free classes on the base we're moving to so we'll be taking advantage of that Smiley

Thanks for your advice  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toothy
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006 01:43:42 AM »

The Pimsleur CDs have served me really well.  Anything I learned while working with those has earned me complements about my accent.  If I had gone beyond lesson 4, I think I`d be ruling this city by now(-:

Bring lots of band-aids for your chin - it will be dragging along the sidewalk most of the time.  I grew up in a small town too, in my years I`ve gained experience in the cities of San Francisco, Boston and NYC.  But Tokyo?  Whole different banana - half the fun is how they slaughter English (ain`t knocking noone, they still speak more and better English than I speak Japanese). 

As large and crowded as it is, it is a very safe and civil city.  Although, I have to add, watch out for little old ladies (I say this with a chuckle): they have no problem claiming their rights of seniority. And don`t get between the males and the electronics when in Akihabara: they`ll knock you down.  Rush hour will bring an intimating mob of black suits, but, for people in a hurry, they are typically gentle.

I just got a message from my husband that he won`t be back until 9 or 10pm.  YAHOO, I`m gonna climb in the tub with some Sake and Sushi (in that order).  Feel free to pm me if you need more info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistresscandace

make crafts, not war

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006 05:00:26 AM »

Did anyone mention Nippori Textitle Street yet?  I went there for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was fantastic.  I highly recommend checking out Tomato, especially their 100yen per meter section. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007 05:48:44 PM »

Just wanted to thank you all again. Now that our moving date is much closer and I've done more reading about the area, a lot of these names are more familiar to me. I've heard that about 10 minutes from where we're going to live is a 4 story craft store. The first thing I want to do when we get there is visit the craft store! My husband says he has to first check in with his command and check into housing, but I dont see why  Undecided (heehee)

We'll be there Friday and I cant wait  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaperBag
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007 11:10:15 PM »

woo! I went to Yuzawaya in Yamoto yesterday and it was awesome Smiley I didn't have all the time I wish I'd had to browse through everywhere, but it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time (and money) there. I *think* I signed up for a discount card... It looked like a card that I pay 500 yen/year for and save 10% on my cash purchases? Is that right? The lady was really nice, but her english was limited (my japanese is even more limited!) so I'm not exactly sure if that's what I did... Anyone familiar with that program?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Transfer Photo Images
How to Embellish Glass and Wood Surfaces
DIY Nursery Series: Easy Tissue Paper Wall Art
How to Make a Dream Catcher Necklace
How to Make a Paper Mache Craft Bowl
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...