A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,521
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knit Small Coin Purse (now with pattern!)  (Read 2250 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

silbi

Crafting is a lifelong itch of mine

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2006 12:22:31 PM »

I made this for my dad's birthday because he told me once that he wishes he had something like this, so he doesn't have loose change in his pockets. i tried to (hand)sew one out of fabric, but i couldnt deal with not having a sewing machine plus all the seam allowances and trying to minimize bulk - very important if you are considering something to be carried in a pants pocket. so of course i decided to knit it so that it can be seamless!

its definitely not perfect, but hopefully it's to his liking...and your liking too --

it has a rather interesting construction, but nothing totally genius:

i started from the bottom up, like the toe of a sock but much much wider (with only 4 wraps on each side). i continued knitting around until i used a crochet bind off to get the very straight and tight edges around the zipper, which is sewed on before the purse is finished. i grafted the top closed with kitchener stitch.

it took me a few days to finish because of school and trying to figure out the construction..but actual knitting toward final product only took me about 2 days.

i used regia sock yarn, and the guage is 11 sts / inch.
final dimensions are 2.75in x 4in. it is highly alterable to make bigger or smaller.

<<edit>> here is a rough draft of the pattern for people who are curious. it looks a bit long but i will add pictures for clarity when i can find time to make another. if you are confused about something, please ask!

Knit Small Coin Purse

Materials:
Regia Sock Yarn
waste yarn of similar weight
US0 dpns
US1 dpns
US1 crochet hook
darning needle (the kind used for weaving in ends)
Zipper
Sewing thread and needle

Gauge:
11st x 15rows per inch
exactness is not important, the number of stitches is easily alterable to fit your needs

Method:
Provisionally cast-on using waste yarn and US1 crochet hook (or use your favorite provisional cast-on method). I used 44 sts.

With US0 dpns, use short rows to make a very wide toe (decrease only 3 or 4 sts on each side). **See cosmicpluto for tutorial.

Knit in the round until work measures desired height before zipper. Mine was about 1.5 inches.

At the beginning of the round, knit 4 sts, crochet bind off until 4 sts before half the round, knit to the end. **See yarn harlot for crochet bind off.

K4 then turn work and purl back across. Continue knitting flat until space is wide enough for zipper.

Provisionally cast-on the same number of stitches that were bound off, but use US1 dpns. This helps the stitches from being too tight for crochet bind off.

Connect the work into circular knitting with US0s again and knit for a few rounds.

Pull out the provisional cast-on and crochet bind off. You will have one stitch left from the provisional cast-on that cannot be bound off. At the column of knit stitches right above the leftover stitch, drop the stitch so it ladders down. Using a crochet hook, grab the leftover stitch with the lowest stitch (from laddering down) and ladder back up again as if you are fixing a mistake.
*Alternately, you can simply sew the last stitch down!

Put all stitches on waste yarn.

Install zipper:
Cut the zipper so that it fits inside the purse and hand sew it down all the way around the opening. Pin it to the knit fabric, or if you can see lines in the fabric part of the zipper, you can use that to help you keep the zipper straight. It is useful to follow the stitches right above the crochet bind off to keep your sewn stitches about the same size.

Put the stitches on waste yarn back on needles.

There are 2 ways to finish the top:
A. Decrease 2 sts at each end every round for 2 rounds (Alter this to match the bottom of the purse). Then, with kitchener stitch, graft the top closed. Weave in ends by opening the zipper and flipping the purse inside out.

B. Use the same short row method as the bottom. It is as if you are making the heel of a sock. Using kitchener stitch, graft the opening closed. Weave in ends by opening the zipper and flipping the purse inside out.

Finally, you may want to block your work (according to blocking instructions for the yarn you used...i wet blocked by wetting with lukewarm water, washing it gently with some shampoo foam, rinse, blot out water with towel, pin down) to even things out.

good luck =)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006 04:42:14 PM by silbi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ermiller1
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006 12:50:34 PM »

I think you have done a great job!!!  I think you should go ahead and write up the pattern.  You did a great job of getting the zipper in there...I'd love to know how you did it....e
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jimthewise

roar roar roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006 01:52:13 PM »

I am totally interested in a pattern! This is like the perfect gift for when you don't know what to get someone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B: Is it raining?
A: I think they're spitting at us.
oliviamarais
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006 05:01:58 PM »

I love it, great job. Nice yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twois
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006 09:32:31 PM »

I would really, really, really be interested in a pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittybritches
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006 09:41:32 PM »

My bf totally needs one of these.  If you posted a pattern I may attempt it, although I'm scared to try and put a zipper in! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
contortions101
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006 10:05:27 PM »

Awesome job.  It looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silbi

Crafting is a lifelong itch of mine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006 04:47:12 PM »

i wrote the instructions in the first post. please let me know if you have questions or you spot mistakes. and please keep in mind that this is not a formal pattern like one you would find in a published magazine or website.
thanks ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
Non-Traditional Asian Brined Turkey Recipe
Spicy Chicken Curry Recipe
Momofuku Culinary Lab Creates Flavor Explosion
How to Make a 90 Second Thai Chicken Pizza
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...