A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 309,970
Currently Running With Scissors:
364 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Room  (Read 1992 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rainbowmeow
« on: September 07, 2004 12:26:03 PM »

I have a sewing room, but most everything is in giant plastic containers, and I can't get to anything.  I don't have shelves, and I don't even have a table.  I need good ideas for storage/ displaying that don't cost much. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsayanne
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004 12:54:35 PM »

I dream of big open bins in my sewing room, but I settle for a strange entertainment center with a ton of storage, (that the previous owners left behind b/c it was too heavy to get down the stairs) an old dresser (tres antique-chic that I found in someone's trash), and under the bed clear plastic boxes.

My best tip for a sewing room is a big folding table- the long kind the size you usually see at craft shows. I got a "Lifetime" brand one from Sams Club and not only is is sturdy, big, and not too ugly- the top is really hard plastic- meaning I can use my rotary cutter on it with no mat and not leave cuts in the plastic. It's probably damaging my blade but I HATE using the mat when I'm cutting big projects, so it's worth it. It also seems heat resistant as I have ironed on it in a pinch. If you have room it's a fabulous buy- I have no idea how much I spent on it though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katybeck
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004 02:24:10 PM »

I haven't made it yet, so I can't vouch for its success until a bit later..   Wink  but once I move into my new apartment next week I'm going to be building a big work table about of a hollow-core door.  You can usually buy them (sans the hole for the doorknob) at hardware stores for fairly cheap ($15-$25).  Then grab some legs at IKEA (or again at the hardware store - though not nearly as pretty) and put 'em together..  Or use something else like filing cabinets or cinder blocks for legs - whatever you have handy.

Paint it up and you have a presentable craft table!  Even better, cover the table with cork or drafting board cover (from architects drafting supply shops - its one huge cutting mat) and you can cut on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal blog: www.katybeck.com
Where I collect my crafty ideas: www.shoestringdecorator.com
susank
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004 03:22:37 PM »

I went to the ReBuilding store (you might not have one of those, but they sell used construction and building parts) and bought a 4" diameter dowel and an old school bulletin board.  Oh yeah, and an old kitchen cabinet with 3 shelves and a door.  I cut the dowel into four equal pieces (the same height as the cabinet) for the table legs, and refinished the cabinet.  I screwed the bulletin board on top of the legs only, but the cabinet helps for stability.  It cost about $15 total, and the table has metal edging and a cork top-- awesome for pinning.
--susank.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Barbarella

Necessity is the mother of invention.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004 10:22:06 AM »

Hi, I have a giiiiinormous crafting table, when my old neighbours moved out they were throwing away the majority of their furniture, and i got (amongst other things) two matching chests of drawers and a massive piece of..um don't know what it's called, but the stuff that you use to make counters with in kitchens. I just put the drawers facing each other and the kitchen couinter thing on top, it's brillliant cuz it's sturdy, wipe clean, and you can cut on it. Although i don't know how much it would be to buy new.

Hope this helps
Barbarella
xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainbowmeow
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004 10:31:37 AM »

Okay, I used your suggestions and used the door that goes to my sewing room (we took it off a while ago because it was super hot in there otherwise) and I cleaned up the basement and used some shelves I found.

The doorknob looks kinda funny... maybe I'll have to make a cozie for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004 11:27:36 AM »

You are so lucky to have your very own space to sew in!

I suggest you unscrew the doorknob (really easy to do) and use the remaining hole as a place to run your sewing machine electrical cord (and other electrical cords) through!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
rainbowmeow
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004 12:08:32 PM »

You are so lucky to have your very own space to sew in!

I suggest you unscrew the doorknob (really easy to do) and use the remaining hole as a place to run your sewing machine electrical cord (and other electrical cords) through!

Grin

Yeah, I thought about that... but since we rent... I don't want to mess it up.  And if we move, I don't want to have to put it back on.  Thanks though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004 12:10:48 PM »

So your landlord/lady wouldn't be understanding if the doorknob just sorta "fell off"? Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
rainbowmeow
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004 12:17:23 PM »

So your landlord/lady wouldn't be understanding if the doorknob just sorta "fell off"? Cool

Cheesy  Probably not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
March 22, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Chandelier Earrings
Mad Cats in Fun Hats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...