A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,123
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Room  (Read 1467 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rainbowmeow
« on: September 07, 2004 12:26:03 PM »

I have a sewing room, but most everything is in giant plastic containers, and I can't get to anything.  I don't have shelves, and I don't even have a table.  I need good ideas for storage/ displaying that don't cost much. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsayanne
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004 12:54:35 PM »

I dream of big open bins in my sewing room, but I settle for a strange entertainment center with a ton of storage, (that the previous owners left behind b/c it was too heavy to get down the stairs) an old dresser (tres antique-chic that I found in someone's trash), and under the bed clear plastic boxes.

My best tip for a sewing room is a big folding table- the long kind the size you usually see at craft shows. I got a "Lifetime" brand one from Sams Club and not only is is sturdy, big, and not too ugly- the top is really hard plastic- meaning I can use my rotary cutter on it with no mat and not leave cuts in the plastic. It's probably damaging my blade but I HATE using the mat when I'm cutting big projects, so it's worth it. It also seems heat resistant as I have ironed on it in a pinch. If you have room it's a fabulous buy- I have no idea how much I spent on it though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katybeck
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004 02:24:10 PM »

I haven't made it yet, so I can't vouch for its success until a bit later..   Wink  but once I move into my new apartment next week I'm going to be building a big work table about of a hollow-core door.  You can usually buy them (sans the hole for the doorknob) at hardware stores for fairly cheap ($15-$25).  Then grab some legs at IKEA (or again at the hardware store - though not nearly as pretty) and put 'em together..  Or use something else like filing cabinets or cinder blocks for legs - whatever you have handy.

Paint it up and you have a presentable craft table!  Even better, cover the table with cork or drafting board cover (from architects drafting supply shops - its one huge cutting mat) and you can cut on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal blog: www.katybeck.com
Where I collect my crafty ideas: www.shoestringdecorator.com
susank
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004 03:22:37 PM »

I went to the ReBuilding store (you might not have one of those, but they sell used construction and building parts) and bought a 4" diameter dowel and an old school bulletin board.  Oh yeah, and an old kitchen cabinet with 3 shelves and a door.  I cut the dowel into four equal pieces (the same height as the cabinet) for the table legs, and refinished the cabinet.  I screwed the bulletin board on top of the legs only, but the cabinet helps for stability.  It cost about $15 total, and the table has metal edging and a cork top-- awesome for pinning.
--susank.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Barbarella

Necessity is the mother of invention.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004 10:22:06 AM »

Hi, I have a giiiiinormous crafting table, when my old neighbours moved out they were throwing away the majority of their furniture, and i got (amongst other things) two matching chests of drawers and a massive piece of..um don't know what it's called, but the stuff that you use to make counters with in kitchens. I just put the drawers facing each other and the kitchen couinter thing on top, it's brillliant cuz it's sturdy, wipe clean, and you can cut on it. Although i don't know how much it would be to buy new.

Hope this helps
Barbarella
xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainbowmeow
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004 10:31:37 AM »

Okay, I used your suggestions and used the door that goes to my sewing room (we took it off a while ago because it was super hot in there otherwise) and I cleaned up the basement and used some shelves I found.

The doorknob looks kinda funny... maybe I'll have to make a cozie for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004 11:27:36 AM »

You are so lucky to have your very own space to sew in!

I suggest you unscrew the doorknob (really easy to do) and use the remaining hole as a place to run your sewing machine electrical cord (and other electrical cords) through!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
rainbowmeow
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004 12:08:32 PM »

You are so lucky to have your very own space to sew in!

I suggest you unscrew the doorknob (really easy to do) and use the remaining hole as a place to run your sewing machine electrical cord (and other electrical cords) through!

Grin

Yeah, I thought about that... but since we rent... I don't want to mess it up.  And if we move, I don't want to have to put it back on.  Thanks though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004 12:10:48 PM »

So your landlord/lady wouldn't be understanding if the doorknob just sorta "fell off"? Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
rainbowmeow
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004 12:17:23 PM »

So your landlord/lady wouldn't be understanding if the doorknob just sorta "fell off"? Cool

Cheesy  Probably not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Questions to Ask Your Stylist When Thinking of Going Natural
VF NEWS: Marc Jacobs Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
A Sassy Bob That’s Perfect for Work and Play
How to Get Perfect Beachy Waves
How to Make a Cheap Wig Look Amazing
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...