A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: big ol' feathery hat *first post!* tutorial added!  (Read 4862 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tsarnicholas
« on: October 14, 2006 11:12:08 PM »

When my husband's grossly wealthy boss invited us to his wedding, I felt I needed something slightly over-the-top to wear.  So I whipped up this understated hat.  Fun!  Random women were leaning over the pews to ask where I got it.

my husband doesn't usually look so weird and skeezy...promise

« Last Edit: October 15, 2006 10:59:22 AM by tsarnicholas » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spunkyPOPmonkey
Why so blue panda bear?

Get up, dress up, show up, and don't give up.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006 11:45:23 PM »

wow
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zaemunda
Bargain Huntress Extrordinaire!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006 11:48:17 PM »

I really really NEED to know how you made this. I want to make one and wear it everywhere. The DMV, the grocery store.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I was ever stranded on a deserted tropical island, within a month I'd have built my own Craft Store and have trained monkeys to work the registers.

I heart personal swaps.
flammable_feline

If people could put rainbows in zoos they'd do it.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006 01:12:28 AM »

wow, that's awesome!
super idea..... how did you make it?
[your baby is soooo cute!]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluttercrafts
cheezburger plz k thx bai

whodahey!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006 01:15:16 AM »

You are beyond adorable and that hat is FANTASTIC.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006 06:24:22 AM »

OMG I LOVE YOUR HAT! And your baby is all too perfect! Cheesy May I ask how you came up with the hat? Did you follow a pattern??? If you didn't would you mind awfully bad if I requested a tutorial? I typically don't ask for those because I know some see it as rude... but your hat is such an awesome feat that I knew I must ask........... I would greatly appreciate any advice that you have to offer............ Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006 06:31:13 AM »

WOW!!!!
You look straight out of an Audrey Hepburn movie!
The hat is very cool, your whole look is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deathslilsister

elegantly waisted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006 06:43:33 AM »

Ditto, you look so Audrey Hepburn... the whole look is fantastic, I love the velvet wrap, too-- did you make that as well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006 06:52:52 AM »

It's beautiful. Very Brit royalty/Hepburn. I wish ppl still wore hats to weddings. And other things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
tsarnicholas
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006 10:30:27 AM »

Thanks, guys!  'Twas a very easy project.  Here's a tutorial (followed by things I might do differently):

First determine the approx. diameter you want your hat to be.  Now cut a circle, slightly larger than finished diameter, from a stiff material of your choosing.  I used a sheet of black posterboard, which is like very stiff cardstock.  Cut a wedge out of your circle, then bring the edges together and attach securely (I think I used a hot glue gun) to make a shallow cone. 
To make the inside look pretty, since it will be visible, cover it with fabric.  I used a spray adhesive to stick a piece of black velvet over the inside, wrapping it up over the edge.
For the next step, you need a big, fat feather boa--the kind that are readily available for a reasonable price at this time of year.  Try to find the really fat, fluffy kind.  Starting at the top or bottom of your cone (it really doesn't matter which), attach one end of your boa.  I used a dot of hot glue.  Spiral the boa around the cone, securing it with another dot of glue every so often.  You don't need to keep the spiral very tight, since the feathers fill in the spaces fairly well, but remember that your cone will peek through here and there, so it should be the same colour as your feathers.  I started at the bottom and spiralled up, and didn't bring it quite to the very top of the cone, so it has a slightly rounded look at the top, rather than a point.
Congratulations!  You are the proud owner of a big ol' feathery hat!

Things I might do differently: rather than posterboard, this might work with a stiff interfacing, cut in a circle and fused to the lining fabric.  I'd leave a bit of fabric overhang, to wrap over and conceal the raw edge. Then I'd cut the wedge out and make the cone shape (sew it or glue it), and wrap the overhang around the edge.  The boa would attach in the same way.

To keep it on my head, I put two eyelets in the cone before I attached the boa.  Through the eyelets, I poked two sticks through the hat and into my hair, which was in an updo.  My sticks were bamboo skewers--I coloured them black with a marker, and glued pretty buttons on the ends.  They wouldn't hold up in a stiff wind, but they worked fine for me.  You could also try gluing (or stitching, if you go the interfacing route) a comb or two into the inside of the hat. 

If any of this is unclear, shout it out and I'll try to clarify.

Oh, and yes, I made the wrap too.  Similarly simple--it's a square, with an opening from one corner to the center, where there's a small circle cut out to fit around my neck.  I lined it with a taupe satin.  I finished this moments before we left.

One more thing...here's what the baby looks like lately:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Top Chef Reinvents Your Wedding Registry
Chef Tim Love Makes a Creative Grilled Ham, Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
How to Make Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo
Sunny Anderson’s Bottom-of-the-Tortilla Bag Recipes
How to Make Italian Sausage Hoagies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...