A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 47
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite "Weird" Food?  (Read 52747 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

egg_salady
« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2007 05:20:26 PM »

My mom used to make this "fruit salad" that consisted of cottage cheese, cool whip, strawberry jello powder, pineapple, and mandarin oranges. It looks like pink vomit. But I think it tastes quite good.

Yeah, my mom made something like that, too, and I still request it all the time (haven't been brave enough to try it out myself)...she called it "Fairmont Salad" but made it with lime green jello, cottage cheese, crushed pineapple, pecans and I think - ew - mayonaise?  She also made this casserole that's kinda sorta "weird" sounding before you put it together, but man oh man it is freakin' good.  She takes a sleeve of Ritzes, crushed pineapple, cheddar cheese and mixes it all together, dots it with butter and bakes 'til gold and bubbly. mmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megmoira
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2007 09:10:38 PM »

Hands down, my favorite weird food is peanut butter & bacon sandwiches. It is one of my family's depression recipes (as in "the great" but it works when you're mopey, too).  It's best on an English muffin, toasted until the peanut butter gets melted A local pizza place has a pizza with peanut butter & bacon & mild provolone... the cheese is a nice touch, actually.

When I was a kid, my favorite sandwich was cream cheese and green olives (sliced so they don't pop out on ya) on leftover, garlic bread toasted dark. Ooh, I wonder if I could convince the boy to try this one... I miss it, haven't had it in years.

My mom used to serve orange meal on Tuesdays... Boxed mac'n cheese, carrot sticks and "orange drink"... I hated that it was monochromatic, and that it was ALWAYS  on Tuesdays, and that powdered drink thing was extra gross.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Assisted by my kitty, Isabella the Destroyer.~*~
andy8715
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2007 11:04:36 PM »

My mom used to serve orange meal on Tuesdays... Boxed mac'n cheese, carrot sticks and "orange drink"... I hated that it was monochromatic, and that it was ALWAYS  on Tuesdays, and that powdered drink thing was extra gross.

D: What? That's odd.  b
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest.com/andy8715
megmoira
« Reply #223 on: June 26, 2007 05:20:47 AM »

Yeah... she grew up poor and I think she wanted us to appreciate what we had or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Assisted by my kitty, Isabella the Destroyer.~*~
fliztods
« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2007 12:42:03 PM »

my family makes this terrible dish for every holiday called Red Dressing. One Thanksgiving, my great grandmother didn't have much money, so she decided to make do with what she had. She combined crushed saltine crackers with ketchup, brown sugar, black olives and raisins and claimed it was stuffing. We have eaten it at every holiday since. Once you hit a certain age it grows on you...I always take a small spoonful. The funniest part is watching a guest's face as we explain what is in it and urge them to take some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewsew-a-Gogo
Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2007 12:47:00 PM »

Haha!!  My aunt had "yellow meals".  Fish sticks or chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, and corn.   And it was usually a weekly meal because she never knew how to cook anything else.  Ah, memories...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
lutheranchick
« Reply #226 on: June 28, 2007 09:35:42 AM »

The cheese and fruit combos (jelly with cheese, pie with cheese, cheese with cheese and more cheese and cheesy cheese cheese...) is very popular in Michigan where I grew up. I was comfortably middle class and ate sharp cheddar with cherry preserves-- the poor ate Velveeta with grape jelly. The idea is to cut the sweetness with the saltiness.
All I can say is that if you have PMS, it rocks.
Has anyone tried kool-aid pickles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2007 09:10:35 AM »

The cheese and fruit combos (jelly with cheese, pie with cheese, cheese with cheese and more cheese and cheesy cheese cheese...) is very popular in Michigan where I grew up. I was comfortably middle class and ate sharp cheddar with cherry preserves-- the poor ate Velveeta with grape jelly. The idea is to cut the sweetness with the saltiness.
All I can say is that if you have PMS, it rocks.
I grew up in Michigan, and I never heard of such a thing until I spent some time in the south.  Still not getting the apple pie with cheese thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
Scotty
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2007 02:52:01 PM »

I've got two jars of kool-aid pickles in my fridge right now!  I love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2007 03:07:06 PM »

I've got two jars of kool-aid pickles in my fridge right now!  I love them.
Wait a minute.  How did I notice the cheese and miss the Kool-Aid pickles?
What in tarnation are they?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 47 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rachel Bilson Dishes Style Crush and Must Have Beauty Item
H&M Launches Model Off Duty Collection
#MyModamobStyle Featured Reader @Melanee
Lululemon Recalls See Through Yoga Pants
5 Ways To Wear Bermuda Shorts
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...