A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite "Weird" Food?  (Read 54921 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alycimo
mrs.

Encourage One Another...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2006 09:12:47 PM »

We got the Holiday Pack of Jones Soda last year.  Cranberry was good, Brussels sprouts was smelly, and turkey almost made me vomit.  Really really amazingly gross - and surprisingly turkey-ish.   But I love regular Jones.  It's true Fufu Berry is the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2006 12:30:23 AM »

I read through this whole thread, and I'm surprised one food hasn't come up:  Scrapple!  Of course, maybe no one who posted is from around Philli.

Scrapple is, as my dad describes, "Everything but the oink".  Its the stuff leftover from hotdogs, for crying out loud.  I have never had it, but my dad LOVES the stuff!

I don't know where all your parents/SOs/etc learned how to make tuna noodle casserole.  My mom's recipe is yummy (tuna, noodles, cream of mushroom soup, and frozen peas)!  Though it has a bit of funky 70s cuisine to it, she tops it with crushed potato chips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2006 10:07:53 AM »

Scrapple is, as my dad describes, "Everything but the oink".  Its the stuff leftover from hotdogs, for crying out loud.  I have never had it, but my dad LOVES the stuff!

The important thing to note about scrapple is it's not just pork bits, it's also oatmeal. And real scrapple isn't as nasty bit-wise [it's still gross tasting] because you just collect the pieces that aren't suitable for pork chops or ham or loin cuts or whatnot. My dad loves the stuff and made it several times. It's pressed into a loaf like spam, sliced and fried, then served with maple syrup. I find it awful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Gishygoo
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2006 05:04:10 PM »

EWWWW.  I am totally grossed out by all the scrapple talk.  I dated a guy once that loved the stuff and he got me to eat it a couple of times, but I never knew what was in it.  Now I feel like I need to go purge myself . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out: www.gishygoo.blogspot.com
Everything is so wistical! www.wists.com/gishygoo
cestquinze

always believe something good will happen

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2006 05:06:48 PM »

my dad used to frequently make what he called "creamy rice with tuna" - the cream soup stuff from a can, plus rice and tuna. so nasty.

once i ran away from home because i couldn't take it anymore!
now whenever a new friend comes over, to embarass me my dad says "remember that time you ran away from creamy rice with tuna?"

oh.. parents. -sigh-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
godzilla

get back -on track

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2006 07:40:59 AM »

Ive had some pretty gross things when I was a kid, but oddly enough I like them now. Haha Except for bologna- which I used to be a master at frying in my Easy Bake Oven, and Spam which I used to always want to be the one to turn the giant key on the side, and Buttermilk mmm how one could love the sweet taste of sour milk?
Cornbeef Hash is totally sickning, my family loves it - the cornbeef smells like dog food, falls out of the can in a perfect 'can' shape and you fry that up with leftover mash potatoes and onions. Is it dog food? One would think. Ive recently RE-tried this dish, and Im in love.  ?  (dont gag)

The thing I hated most as a kid was that my parents NEVER let me leave the kitchen table until everything was off my plate. As a rule theyd say: make sure you eat your potatoes while their hot, nobody likes eating cold mash potatoes. Definitely not. Once I had one of my fillings fall out in the potatoes (from a cavity), I didnt know and was like Mom Ive got rocks in my potatoes of course she thought it was a plan for me to leave the table, and I just had to pick around it. Haha awww. Of course when she saw it was really a filling, she felt bad. But really, sometimes I'd be there for hours, sometimes my sister would finish her plate and then hide under the table as I passed her stuff to throw out. haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trinashere
nerd and a half.

(witty comment goes here)

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2006 12:47:09 PM »

The thing I hated most as a kid was that my parents NEVER let me leave the kitchen table until everything was off my plate. As a rule theyd say: make sure you eat your potatoes while their hot, nobody likes eating cold mash potatoes. Definitely not. Once I had one of my fillings fall out in the potatoes (from a cavity), I didnt know and was like Mom Ive got rocks in my potatoes of course she thought it was a plan for me to leave the table, and I just had to pick around it. Haha awww. Of course when she saw it was really a filling, she felt bad. But really, sometimes I'd be there for hours, sometimes my sister would finish her plate and then hide under the table as I passed her stuff to throw out. haha

Oh my gosh, do I hear that. I remember very clearly one day sitting at our Fisher PRice table and chair set, refusing to eat chili. I ended up putting most of mine on my sister's plate. Then I got to leave the table. Why my mom didn't realize Buffy had twice as much is beyond me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The art of losing isn't hard to master; so many things seem filled with the intent to be lost that their loss is no disaster. ~ Elizabeth Bishop
franciebrady
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2006 02:29:50 PM »

My brother used to eat peanut butter and mayo sandwiches.  Hoark.

But the worst was spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce.  And my parents had a rule that if you didn't finish dinner, you had to eat what was left on your plate for breakfast, and if you didn't eat it for breakfast, you had to eat it for lunch, then dinner, and so on.  Whenever spaghetti squash was served for dinner, I ended up going hungry for a few days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gishygoo
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2006 02:35:57 PM »

My brother used to eat peanut butter and mayo sandwiches.  Hoark.

But the worst was spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce.  And my parents had a rule that if you didn't finish dinner, you had to eat what was left on your plate for breakfast, and if you didn't eat it for breakfast, you had to eat it for lunch, then dinner, and so on.  Whenever spaghetti squash was served for dinner, I ended up going hungry for a few days.

HOW AWFUL.  I hate it when parents have dumb rules about eating.  I realize it is because they want their children to get over being picky and what-not, but forcing your kids to eat something for breakfast that they didn't eat at dinner, or making them clean their plates before leaving the table just encourages bad eating habits later in life.  THAT'S why Americans are so fat . . .

Or is it peanut butter with mayo?  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out: www.gishygoo.blogspot.com
Everything is so wistical! www.wists.com/gishygoo
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2006 12:07:51 AM »

I don't think my mom ever served up anything to outragously nasty...  though I remember her forcing us to eat fish - more importantly nasty fish like sol and cod.  UGH!!  So gross.  Also, I really hate mayo and I discovered that I hated it in about 6th grade and somehow my dad still forgets.  I was so excite for the sandwich he made me for my return trip to college, but I took one bite and just about hurled.  Sad 
Hm... I think the "nasty" concotions really ended up being whatever we made of them - and why would you bother making something horrible for yourself?  At my Grandparents' house we have curry and my grandma puts all kinds of cool stuff out to mix in.  She makes both beef and chicken curry and puts out: chips, tomatoes, peaches, pineapple, raisins, coconut, chopped peanuts, cucumber, chutny, bananas, and other things that I am forgetting.  It sounds so weird, but mix it together and it is totally heaven!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birchbox August 2014: Sneak Peek Part 2
Birchbox August 2014: Sneak Part 3
Get the Neon Cat Eye Look from the Chanel 2014 Runway Show
Celebrity Makeup Secrets Revealed
How to Make an Avocado Facial Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...