A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,523
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pet bed  (Read 5119 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_bed , hemp , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vestarita
« on: December 30, 2003 09:26:42 PM »

This project started out as a use for some scraps I had left over from making pajama bottoms for my boyfriend. I wanted to make my cat a little bed that she could curl up in, and if anyone wanted to try it out themselves I'll try to describe what I did here:

First, I measured out a rough circle (by hand, so it came out a little uneven) of about 45 inches in circumference and cut out two of these from my material. Then I sewed them together like you would a pillow and stuffed them lightly to make a pad for the bottom of the bed.

Second, I measured out the fabric for the sides to a length of about 46 inches long and 12 inches high to compensate for the seams. It looked sort of like this:

<---46 inches--->

(The dotted line is a fold, and the figure is a rectangle in case it gets screwed up in your browser.)

I sewed together the two ends of this piece to make a loop of fabric and then hemmed the remaining two edges. Then I folded it over and pinned both of the hemmed edges together to the circumference of the pillow pad I made earlier.

Next, I sewed the side piece to the pad, making sure to leave an opening so I could stuff it. I filled it pretty full so it would hold its shape, and afterwards I stitched the opening closed. It should look like a bowl now, and to hide the stitching all you have to do is turn the side piece "inside-out" so that the bottom of the bowl is now on the inside.

I hope this all made sense. Here are some pictures:

The first two are of the first bed I made. As you can see the cat didn't quite fit. I decided to make a second one and make the circumference about 5 inches bigger and the sides about 2 inches higher. And now she fits!

Unfortunately I can't force her to pose for pictures, so her toys will have to do.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004 10:33:08 AM by vestarita » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vestarita
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003 10:49:16 PM »

Thank you!  Cheesy  I had a lot of fun trying to figure out how to make it. I think the best part about the first one was I used things I already had and that would have been thrown out anyway, so it ended up costing me nothing. The second was made from $1.00/yard flannel from walmart. Gotta love those end-of-season sales.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anjalita
bellamonkee

Crafty wench...yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003 12:45:59 AM »

These look really easy and fantastic to make...a GREAT thing to make and donate to shelters...instant soul kitty karma points! (not to forget little sewn/knit/crochet blankets either!) Thank you for the patterns and the explaination!:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soapers, Join me at the Whisk! www.the-whisk.us best soaping forum...EVER!

Remember you are a star. Never go across the alley even to dump garbage
unless you are dressed to the teeth. -- Cecil B. DeMille
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003 07:44:57 AM »

I love the idea of making something like that with old pajama bottoms (they're so worn and snuggly). I know yours was just new material for pants you made, but the idea of recycling pajama pants occurred to me. I'm sure one pair of pants wouldn't be enough, but it would be fun to mix and match!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
comfits
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003 09:18:06 AM »

yay!!!!!!  i was gonna make my little pom a bed for Christmas, but couldn't find a pattern i liked.  yours is perfect!!  unfortunately, i'm too much of a visual person.  could you explain how you sewed the side on a little better.  i assume you did it by hand??  i wanna make one w/ some corduroy material, but haven't found any yet.  looks like i'll have to settle on something else--now that you've supplied me a pattern Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004 03:13:02 PM »

I made one almost like yours! I looked all over for a good pet bed, then realized I could make the $20 bed for pennies myself.

comfits-- I have "drawn" instructions here:
http://www.geocities.com/thixle/main.html
It's under "Rice Bowl Bed"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vestarita
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004 11:28:16 PM »

Wow, yours is very similar, thixle! I typed up the instructions for mine before the host merge and drew everything out and took pictures, but I'm going to post them here anyway.

Starting with this:

Sew together A and B.

Fold it over on itself. It would help if you pressed open the seam with an iron so it's easier to fold.

Here's a cross-section so you have a better idea of how it looks folded:

Hem the remaining edges.

Then, pin the edges of the side to the pad and sew along the circumference, making sure to leave an opening so you can stuff the "tube" you've just made.

Here's a picture of the bed before I turned the sides "inside-out." The seams of the bottom piece and the hemmed edges of the side were sandwiched together and sewn.

You can see it a little better in this picture.

In this picture, that round edge at the top is the side piece sewn all the way around the circumference of the bottom piece.

And this last picture is of the sides turned inside-out. You can see the seam on the inside of the bowl shape.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004 10:34:17 AM by vestarita » THIS ROCKS   Logged
comfits
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004 08:38:54 AM »

vestarita--wow!!  thank you for the detailed drawings!!!  that really helps out a lot.  it's really funny cuz they look like my drawings--kinda like you & thixle making the same pet bed Wink  thank you both!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IceCreamCone
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004 10:28:29 PM »

Yay for sewing for your kitty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarcasmik
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004 08:18:31 AM »

aw, i see no pictures, only red x's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"we are the music makers,
          and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
Craftsta

I love cockatoos and cats!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014 01:02:21 PM »

Great idea! I love your kitty! Sooo cute!!!!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014 07:33:09 AM »

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I need to make a bed for my office.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brining a Turkey for Thaknsgiving
How to Bake a Statue Of Liberty Cake
Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Filet Mignon Crostini Recipe for Thanksgiving
How to Make Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...