A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any ideas for Theme Trees?  (Read 4415 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

danabanana
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006 04:19:55 PM »

I was once the au pair for a very stylish couple, and her trees were always astounding.  My favorite, by far, however, was simple: just white lights, and silver and red ball ornamanets. It sounds simple and boring, but it was soooooooo beautiful and "crisp" looking. 

Also, my younger sister is obsessed with broadway, old hollywood, etc. and in high school she printed out all these b&w promo photos in like 2x3 size, tied red ribbon through them and hung them like ornaments. She also mixed in a few kitschy things like ruby slippers, those clacker thingies from movies (key chain size), and little Oscars. The topper was great: a "PLAYBILL" altered to have Santa or something holiday-ish on the front, printed out from photoshop i think and mod-podged onto some cardboard! It was really, really cute.  Oh yeah, the best part was that she wrapped a white feather boa around the tree as a ribbon-trimmy-thing... Oh and gold lights.

Elaborate, right? But I thought it deserved recognition here, because she is deliberately un-crafty and surprised EVERYONE with that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My literary magazine launched! www.whitelephantonl ine.org
Knitty club
old is the new new

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006 12:23:04 AM »

banana, the broadway theme sounds amazing! maybe I will have to convince my family to do a modern theme tree instead of thee traditional one....hehe Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the mermaids in the basement came out to look at me
meggieliz

west of the moon / east of the sun

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006 02:07:12 PM »

The last couple of years, my family has done a crimson and gold theme for one of our trees. It sounds simple, but if you stick with the color sceme, it looks beautiful with the green pine! White lights, a gold star, deep crimson ribbon with gold trim, a variety of red and gold ornaments, and holly berries sprayed gold. Pretty pretty pretty...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a shower, shine your shoes - you got no time to lose.
IrishQueen1971
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006 05:30:16 PM »

I like the idea of hanging fruit on the tree...I am actually searching for ideas for our Yule tree.  My husband is Odinist (I am Wiccan) and I'd like to theme the tree for him this year.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006 06:27:21 AM »

I've always thought it would be lovely to have a tree with herbs hanging from it...bundles of fresh herbs that will dry as they hang, so the tree would be fragrant....which I think fits it with the Yule-tree tradition; I don't know if they ever hung herbs, but originally they used native foliage to decorate them, right? 

I read that they also hung pouches with candy; you could do that, using beautiful, brightly-colored fabrics.  You could make candy stained-glass ornaments, too.  There are lots of ways to make these from scratch, but a good shortcut is to buy hard candies in all the colors you want to use, and smash them up with a hammer.  Preheat the oven to 350. 

Set metal cookie cutters onto a piece of greased parchment on a cookie sheet, or a silicone pad.  Sprinkle the candy pieces in an even layer inside the cookie cutters.  Pick out any pieces that seem a lot bigger than the rest.  Put the cookie in the oven until they melt into a see-through layer.  Voila.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
slackferno
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006 10:15:29 PM »

Three (okay, four) favorite theme trees:

In 2001, I made a NYC-themed tree with red sequin ball "apple" ornaments and yellow taxi matchbox cars.  I topped it with a Statue of Liberty.  Very poignant that year.

Another year, we had a tree for swingin' lovers.  Kitschy aluminum tree with a leopard print tree skirt, and I made martini ornaments for it.  So Shag.

A couple years ago, I was working on a themed tree for an art auction for a local AIDS charity.  It was...well, how do I describe this thing?  The theme was Studio 54.  I started with dowel rods and made sort of a feather tree/bottle brush tree by crocheting pink eyelash yarn to the boughs.  Then I added disco balls and silver spoons.  I made ornaments of wooden disks with the 54 logo on one side, and black & white (with color accents) photos of the 54 "in" crowd on the other.  Andy Warhol, Jerry Hall, Liza Minelli, etc.  I covered them with a layer of glue and sprinkled tiny clear beads over them to give them a textured finish.  I hung them on the tree with silver ribbons.  The topper was the famous Studio 54 icon of the Moon snorting a spoonful of coke.  What was I thinking??

Oh yeah, the last one.  One year at work, someone plunked a small tree on my desk and said, "Decorate this for your department."  Erh?   I had a few ornaments, but it didn't really stand out.  I started going through my desk drawers looking for something to make people remember it, and I came across all the little desk toys and action figures I'd been collecting forever---Happy Meal toys from various Disney flicks, Dana Scully from the X-Files, a knockoff Teletubby whose eyes glowed creepy red when you pushed a button on his tummy, Herme the elf who wanted to be a dentist...  So I stood them all around the tree with Scully putting the star on top.  I think our department won a prize for that one. 

« Last Edit: November 12, 2006 10:38:15 PM by slackferno » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Christmas_Cookies
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006 03:13:10 PM »

If you're a dog lover, a dog treat tree is always cute. My Mom used to own a dog grooming shop, and we made an adorable mini-tree one year to sit on top of her bank of kennels. I think the cutest ornaments on it were the little milkbones-we took the kind designed for toy dogs, drilled little holes in them for the hooks, sprayed them all with a sealer/varnish thing, and then hot glued little bows on them. (Just be careful with this one, especially if you have a counter-surfing mutt who isn't intelligent enough to understand that the milkbones sitting on the kitchen  counter drying from being varnished have HOOKS in them. That was a fun trip to the emergency clinic/ 500 dollar surgery  Shocked ) Another fun thing to hang on them are the little rawhide candy canes they make around the holidays. A lot of pet stores have them, or I'm sure they can be found in the Winter issues of dog supply catalogs). Lastly, we took little rawhides rolls, and put them in bundles tied up with red and green ribbon to look like Cinnamon sticks. We still have all of the ornaments, but this year we're going to make them into a wreath to hang on the front door, complete with teeny tiny stockings with all of the dogs names written on them. I'll post a picture when we get it done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shae16
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006 02:02:34 PM »

I'm going for a winter outer wear tree, I have knit a bunch of tiny mittens, am using dollar store scarves wrapped around as garland, and here and there you stuff tiny puffs of batting in the branches as snow.  I am sure you can add tiny hats, socks, etc.  I saw a similar tree last year that also had snowmen ornaments and rustic tin stars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006 08:25:02 PM »

I'm doing theme trees for every room in the house this year (with the possible exception of the kids' bathroom, because while I have an idea, I don't have anywher to put even a small tabletop tree).  Most of my themes are modern, but still:
Living room:  Family  (all of the kids' homemade ornaments, etc., with snowflakes mixed in)
Kitchen:  Baking (mini tools, etc)
Boys' room: Harry Potter
Girls' room:  Pink frilly Princess Roll Eyes
Kids' bath:  Nemo
Dining room:  Gingerbread and hard candies
Our bedroom:  Aqua Teen Hunger Force - my husband thinks that would be sweet.  lol
Our bath:  My Christmas earrings Wink
My craft room (aka our small walk in closet):  Pink skulls... heehee
Laundry Room:  Baby socks lol

Probably not much help, but now I feel obligated to actually get it done.  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
bookgirl
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006 06:22:31 AM »

kahluakiggy -- if you really want a tree in the kids' bath, maybe you could make a felt one to hang from the back of the door or on the wall.  Or you could make an advent calendar featuring the nemo stuff, and hang it.

another theme: each year friends of mine pick a tree in the woods to decorate w/edibles for the animals -- birdseed pinecones, apples, etc.  it's really lovely, and could be nice in a backyard (or a fire escape for city dwellers) if you want to attract wildlife.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Creating Complex Shapes with Intersecting Lines
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using the Selection Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Intersecting Shapes within a Single Layer
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introduction to Advanced Vector Drawing
Macromedia Flash 8 - Working with the Eraser Tool
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...