A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 303,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Attaching p/leather to soles - ideas?  (Read 1090 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: October 13, 2006 10:19:13 PM »

Hi - I am really wanting to make some shoes from scratch.  Does anyone know some techniques to attach the top material to the sole?  There's this place near me that sells soles and leather and all sorts of shoe-making stuff (leffler's leather, melbournites)... they're not that friendly and they sell mostly to professionals so I don't want to bug them with questions.

I'm sure I can figure out most of the stuff by myself, like patterns as I make fabric patterns already, but sole attaching is one thing I'd really like to figure out a robust way of doing and without super fancy equipment.  Can you get a glue that's strong enough or do you always have to stitch it?

Oh yeah, and bonus question, moulding the p/leather over the toes??  I guess that's necessary to avoid too many seams.  Thanks!

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006 11:37:30 PM »

my grandma used to make shoes when she was little. i asked her once, and this is what she told me, but i dont know if this will help. its kind of cool either way.
so when she was little, she lived in hong kong. everytime a car lost its tire, she would take it back home to make shoes. she would cut the tire to make the sole, and then she would stich fabric to it.
i would imagine something like a coptic stitch for book binding...?
hope this helps

fght ff yr dmns. crft n yr slp.

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006 01:16:18 AM »

i think you have to stitch the inner sole to the the top of the shoe part and then glue it to the final bottom sole...yeah, i don't know the words but that's how i've read it works... some sort of two-part epoxy should work. Good luck!

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006 03:00:31 AM »

I bought a glue from a shoe repair place once, for that very purpose. I don't remember what exactly it was, but I am sure you could find it at a place like that.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006 09:24:29 AM »

aaah right, tyres. yep. great idea.  and i know a leather place that sells shoemaking supplies... hmm... prefer to use some tough vinyl but maybe i would use leather for the top bit, or even canvas with rubber stitched around... hmm... feral but fun.  thanks everyone!

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007 05:02:27 PM »

I got this make-your-own-shoes book for Christmas: http://www.marywalesloomis.com/

She outlines the whole thing from start to finish, and she recommends attaching the soles with Barge Cement, which I've seen in a zillion hardware stores.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Owl Painting - Watercolor Wildlife Art in Miniature
How to Draw Star Wars-Clone Wars: Count Dooku
Wayne Gonzales at Paula Cooper Gallery
How to paint with your hands
How to Draw an Easy Spider
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...