A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Malene Birger Shawl Cropped Cardigan - - any thoughts on construction?  (Read 401 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karissabissa
« on: October 13, 2006 09:01:35 PM »

Somebody posted a link to some great knitting inspiration pictures today and on that site I stumbled across this super cute Malene Birger Shawl Cropped Cardigan. 

Any similar patterns out there?  Or any thoughts on how to go about constructing this?  It seems fairly simple but I haven't branched out to doing my own patterns yet.  Any thoughts on the construction would be great!   Thanks!

The URL is - http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/16795  (there are larger, close up shots on the site)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006 09:36:51 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006 09:24:00 PM »

I would say that you could make a shawl from side to side in four row stripes of reverse stockinette alternated with two-four rows of regular stockinette and eyelet rows to make a sort of interesting ribbing. You'll also need to make increases using short rows as you can see along the lower part. When you've gotten it the right length to wrap around you, you bind off, then pick up stitches along the lower edge and make ribbing for the three or four inches. When you're done with that part, you'd pick up the stitches around the front and neck edge to make the ribbing around the neck.

That is so awesome; I think I might have to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006 10:05:50 PM »

Yeah, what she said.  Except I think the neck edge ribbing comes before the bottom ribbing.  Finish with your body piece, then pick up stitches all along the edge from one bottom edge, up around the neck and back down, and work a few inches of ribbing.  then pick up stitches along the bottom edge, only you'll skip a significant portion on each side for the sleeves.

Edited to add:  Oh, I just found looked at the larger images, and having just designed a short-row hat, I actually think the eyelet effect is partly from the short-row shaping.  So, here's what you do: 

Cast on x number of stitches to reach from a little below the waist to your shoulder. Work rows 1-4 as K, P, P, K, then on row 5 switch back to K, but only work 4/5th of the stitches and just turn right around and work the P, P, K rows, leaving that other 1/5 of stitches on your other needle.  Keep that same pattern up, decreasing by 1/5th of your stitches every 4 rows, until you've worked the K, P, P, K 5 times each total, which will mean that your last 4 rows were only for 1/5 the number of stitches.  Then, on the next row, K2tog, yo across all your stitches, and P back, then start the whole thing over again.  The short rows add those extra large eyelets you see toward the top where the thing is stretched across the shoulders.  (If you were working 1 stitch less ever 2 rows, you'd wind up with a whole row of eyelet, but you'd have a much steeper angle, probably much too steep.)  So, anyway, keep on doing that until you've got a piece that's big enough around, and then do the ribbing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006 10:19:19 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
karissabissa
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006 06:41:05 AM »

You two are sooooooo smart!  I just might give this a shot this weekend.  It sounds do-able.  Maybe I'll make a mini one first to make sure I understand.  Woop!  Thanks soooo much!
-K
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erincatherine
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006 08:19:49 AM »

this is stinking cute.  i think lothurin had it right.  it basically looks like a cape with ribbing around the waist w/ large "batwing" armholes and a button band.  i would love to see some results -- it looks way more flattering than a poncho, and i get sick of my sweaters all winter long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop! Zeitgeist Yarns: www.zeitgeistyarns. etsy.com

and my brand new blog: www.zeitgeistyarns. blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do A Napalm Run
How Disasters Are Made in Hollywood
How to Create Dramatic Coloring Effects in Photoshop
Photoshop Video Tutorial: Chroma Keying
How to Scrapbook with Corel Painter Essentials 4
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...