A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow brite costume  (Read 6912 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meganstrange
« on: September 06, 2004 08:11:43 PM »

I'm going to get really ambitious and attempt to make a Rainbow Brite costume for my obsessive friend. I've found a few pictures of costumes online, and the best one so far is the one at KewlRaveWear, here: http://imageevent.com/jlbjlb/ravewear;jsessionid=i3ldoumla2.rabbit_s?n=0&z=2&c=3&x=1&m=60&w=0&p=0  (dial-up users beware, there are 400 pictures on there!) the Rainbow brite costume is the third picture at the very top, though, so it shouldn't take long for you to see what really matters...

Anyway, i'm thinking that's a three-quarter-of-a-circle skirt. I failed Geometry and can't quite figure out how to adapt the full circle tutorial by april_cocaine into a three quarter skirt. Also, how would i go about making it stiff like that, or would the white part, well stuffed, help keep it stiff enough? Does iron on interfacing turn clear when it gets ironed on?

the skirt in the costume i showed you earlier doens't do the dippy thing in front, either... How should i make my skirt do it? (picture here: http://www.rainbowbrite.tv/ ) the boots, also, do the dippy thing.

And most of all, how am i supposed to do the boot part? just... make a giant stuffed sock and cannibalize the bottom of a slipper? make a boot cover and buy some rubber boots at good will and hot glue it on? i don't get it....

I will absolutely post a bunch of pictures when i am done... Thank you for any help or links to help or anything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphabia
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004 04:37:05 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean my a three quarter of a circle skirt. Interfacing does not turn clear when you iron it on.  You could easily line the skirt to hide the interfacing and give it extra support. The white trim would give it some body also, but I'm thinking boning would give it a "hoop" effect, wire might be better, you could shape it to give it the "dippy" thing.
As far as the boot, I'd make it a shoe slip, a simple piece of elastic should hold it into  place easily.
Before you start check out your local fabric shop for a pattern, I'm almost certain I saw one recently, even if it isn't adult sized you could certainly use it for a referance.
Good luck, looking forward to pics!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004 03:49:59 PM »

hey, i don't know whether you read my reply to your question in my post on circle skirts...

you CAN'T make a 3/4 circle skirt, or a 1/2 circle skirt. it is a full circle, that's where your waist goes. if it wasn't a full circle, it would sit very weird on your waist.

i think the best way to make the boots, would be to make a flared leg warmer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spork
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004 04:10:44 PM »

Hey- I think I have an old Rainbow Brite costume pattern if you'd like to have it. I'll look for it tonight. I ran across the Rainbow Brite cake pan last night.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spork
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004 04:12:58 PM »

It looks like the actual pattern is what was used to do the ones on that site as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meganstrange
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004 06:26:44 PM »

oh, my yessss!!!! Spork, that would be awesome (i can pay shipping in well concealed cash)... and i can return it to you after i'm through, too, if there's sentimental rainbow brite love attached to it.  my friend has got a 43 inch waist... i dunno if your pattern will fit her, but i can at least use it as a starting point.

( and about the cake pan... don't let my friend know about that... she'd stalk you for it.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PollyEsther
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004 05:14:47 AM »

I made a rainbow brite costume for a friend last year. You're right that isn't a full circle skirt-- we tried it with a full circle and it was too much, but also fairly easy to take in. Our shortcut way to make the boots: make the top parts (like leg-warmers, and then put them on over a pair of tennis shoes spray-painted red.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spork
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004 11:10:03 AM »

Well don't tell her I had two, but threw one away a few months ago because I had too much crap. Wink I sold my entire collection on eBay for 50 bucks because my ex had bought a lot of it for me. He went to antique stores and paid like 60 bucks a doll... I just wanted it gone. The ViewMaster, the plates, the suitcase, the sheets, big dolls, little dolls, the partridge in the pear tree- it all went.

I still have to look for that pattern- it is in kids sizes, but you may be able to enlarge it? I don't know, I've never used a pattern in my life- my mom's good with patterns- I'm good with design & winging it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spork
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004 03:37:16 PM »

I haven't been able to find this for you yet. I know there are some on eBay, if you'd like to check it out, in case I actually no longer have the pattern.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fl_mariposa
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004 05:10:10 PM »

I saw this lady at this street fair thing we have for Halloween every year-totally rocking. No idea how she did it, but perhaps the photo will inspire you?
Rainbow Brite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 17/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 13/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 19/29
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 7/21
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 12/29
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...