A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you find time/make time to knit?  (Read 3442 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006 10:01:45 PM »

Heh, I'm a mom, and have a full time job, so I just try to squeeze it in any time I can.  Typically, the only time I DO get is after my daughter goes to sleep, since she's four, and therefore most of her waking hours are play Play PLAY!  So, after playtime and dinner time and more playtime and then bedtime music (doesn't everyone's four year old have to sit with daddy and watch Eric Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughan or Beatles music videos before bed?) and bedtime stories, and ME winding down... I might have a chance to work on crafts starting around 10:00, and I'm usually up until around 2:00am, and up to get ready for work at 6:00 (I'm really too old for those kind of hours...) and start all over again.  lol  So, how do I find time to knit?  I simply do not sleep.  Enough.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
diosaperdida
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006 07:22:04 AM »

You'll either love or hate my philosophy.
I believe you should start the sweater or whatever else you want...even if you knit three rows a day, you are making progress. Just plug away at it bit by bit.
A trick I do when I have a bit more time but not time to sit and knit for a few hours straight: I do a row every hour. You can get quite alot done that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
stevienixed
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006 12:25:55 PM »

I have very little time to knit. As I work six to seven days a week and being a mom of a nine month old baby, I have very little time to knit. But I make sure that I knit at least one hour a day. There are days that I don't feel very well - I suffer from migraine attacks - so I tend to curl up in bed but on the other days I do the one hour session which sometimes ends up in the middle of the night and I realize I knitted for three hours. No wonder my tendon in my left wrist still hurts.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pleasantlysurprised
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006 12:57:43 PM »

I knit in front of the tv after I get my daughter to bed & wind down. I'll usually knit from 11pm till 2am. I should really be in bed earlier than that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2006 05:47:29 PM »

Wow y'all,

I am inspired.  I'll be starting a sweater this weekend...and will probably finish some time in 2015, but that's cool...right?

Thanks for all of the tips and ideas!  I know from bitter experience that sleep-deprived knitting doesn't work for me...and I'm also convinced that we need to market "Warning: Knitter at the Wheel" bumper stickers!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006 06:16:07 PM »

I try to take a small project with me everywhere so that I can knit whenever there is down time, but specifically I knit when: my cheerleaders are stretching and doing jumps in a line, at football games, when I am reading, and when I am watching TV or at the movies. I realized that I needed to learn how to knit without looking at the stitches and it has made all the difference to me. I did try to knit in the dentist's chair this past Monday and it didn't work . . . plus my dentist, who is a good friend, enquired if I "had a bun in the oven" (his words, not mine) and I told him he would find me in a bar if that were the case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

librarylass
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006 07:03:32 PM »

I have a full time job, unfortunately I feel a bit weird knitting during my lunch break, but I do have 2.5 hours on the bus home afterwards. which is great if you like having the last of your energy zapped and the bus driver really wants to chat and be friendly but you just want to sit down and stay awake.

sometimes I even knit in front of the tv (if I'm not too tired)

hopefully I'll get a car soon so I can have some energy to knit while relaxing.. or making time on the weekends (move over uni assessmnent!) to knit and relax

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a wist!
http://wists.com/Bookybabe
So I up and decided to do the whole blog thing...
http://ballysaxter.blogspot.com

I do personal swaps!
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006 07:32:52 PM »

well, i knit *instead* of watching tv. so that 30min - an hour that i used to spend watching tv to wind down i now sit in my room and knit (not that i have a problem with tv, it's just that since i moved out i don't buy the weekend papers, so i don't have a tv guide!)

i'm a student and i'm jealous of those who can knit while studying. i *have* to be underlining/ taking notes or else i don't concentrate. and in lectures i am taking notes non-stop. but then i am a law student and our exams are all open book, so the point is not to memorise but to make very, very useful notes. if i were memorising i'd probably knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranteach

I only wish I were as cool as my kid.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006 06:48:35 AM »

I'd like to second the "knit while watching tv" and the "knit a little bit at a time" suggestions.  I'm a teacher with an almost-two-year-old daughter, and those two really work for me.  The trick is figuring out any time that you're doing something with half a mind that doesn't require moving the hands.  So, I can knit while my daughter plays in the sandbox in the evening, or knit when I'm watching TV, or take little "knit breaks" (using the kitchen timer) after doing twenty minutes or so of grading papers or housework. 

A little motivation tip that works for me:  If I only let myself work on two projects at a time, I somehow end up with two or three (or four) projects in the knitting drawer that I've shopped for, but haven't started.  (My husband keeps saying, "so, you shouldn't need yarn for a while now, right? Wink)  But, it makes me hot to finish what I'm working on, so I can start those new projects.  It encourages me to find the time.  Now, if only I could find a similar motivation trick for the paper grading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewknitnutz
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2006 08:16:37 AM »

I knit in the evenings in front of the TV, but do take my knitting with me most places.  Anytime I have to wait, I'll get a few rows done.  I only work on one project at a time, otherwise I'd never get anything finished!
When I was in grad school, I did knit in some of my more boring classes, where I didn't need to take many notes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Molly Weiner Interviews Author Jennifer Weiner
Lisa Genova on Her Novel "Love Anthony"
"Little Dog, Lost" Book Trailer
"The Romanov Conspiracy" Book Trailer
Author Steven on His Book A Man and His Ship
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...