A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to help my chilly apartment???  (Read 4593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Polybeadry
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006 08:46:53 AM »

I was looking at the fleece at Joann's yesterday, thinking about making some curtains for our large drafty windows.
They had some for 4.99 a yard and some for 8.99. I don't know a thing about buying fabric or fleece for that matter. What's the difference?
Is there a certain kind that's warmer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty.Old.Hipster?
evilsarah
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006 10:42:07 AM »

I was actually at bed bath and beyond yesterday ( a guilty pleasure, its is right between where I work and my bank. Being a waitress I pass by it every day I work practically...)

Anyway, they had these fleece blanket "throws for two" that were 70 inches by 50 inches for either 4.99 or 5.99. I cant remember. Either way I was feeling like just for the material this was a good deal. I too know not much about pricier fabrics. As a noob sewer I own the bargan rack.

Either way, rent has left me broke for a week, so I cant go get oodles of these blankets for my windows and walls and what have you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006 05:47:39 AM »

I live in ireland and it can get cold here, (and wet but thats a whole other story) I also do a bit of medieval re-enactment and we meet together regularly in a friends barn, OK its a shed really, a couple of hundred years old I would think, stone and cold! One of the cheap tricks that worked really well was to buy old duvets (and covers) from thrift shops, they appliqued large simple designs onto the cover, pinned the duvet (not sure what you call them in the US) to the corners of the covers and hung them in front of the windows, super insulation, but if you hang them on curtain poles (ribbon loops on the corners perhaps) you can pull them back during the day or when you want to open the windows.

I swear by a door curtain, a heavy long, trailing on the floor, curtain that is pulled over in the evenings, its amazing how much heat escapes through the gaps between the door and frames,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilsarah
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006 07:50:49 PM »

Actually, I am in the process of collecting old blankets. I take the bus everywhere, so you cant do it all at once. Well you could, but you would need a big buggy thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007 12:20:11 PM »

All good ideas for crafty things to make your house retain heat better so far. All I can really add is to check your furnace filter, perhaps have it maintenance done so it is running at optimal efficiency, and get a big dog or 3 to snuggle in bed at night. I have 2, so when I get really cold I just pull up another dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007 12:26:05 PM »

On a similar note, I swear by sleeping with a hot water bottle in a nice cozy cover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
evilsarah
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007 04:18:21 PM »

So, although not so crafty, I have come up with the ultimate fix for my chilly apartment. I'm moving out of it...and going to California.

Seriously though, I really am.

Hurray for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007 04:21:26 PM »

That should work!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007 07:08:37 PM »

Good Luck in CA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
Caclark4
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007 04:58:16 AM »

i saw this thing on martha stewart YEARS ago where she made like a long snake-like bean bag that she stuck in front of the windows to block the cold air.

My grandmother always had one of those in front of her front door which was rarely used.  She even had a really cute one made out of Christmas fabric for the holidays.  As for making it, I would just make a 3" diamater fabric tube about 12" longer than the door width and have the ends taper.  Put a little piece of red felt at one end for the snake's tongue, turn, and sew on eyes.  Fill the snake with bean bag beans or I would just use dried beans and sew the end shut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That which does not kill you makes you funnier-Joseph Fiennes
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stinky Tofu in Hong Kong
How to Make Thai Cabbage Salad
How To Cook Easy Indian Dishes
Thai Foodcast: Thai Fried Rice
Making Won-Ton Noodle Soup
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...