A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
808 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Little Grey Cowgirl Dress:: TUTE ADDED ((Picture heavy))  (Read 14284 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2006 08:34:16 PM »

This dress isn't as, I don't know the word. It's very different to what I usually make, and not because it's grey.It's a very different style, and I didn't take as much care in making it.

I just cut up random sized rectangles and sewed themtogether then added KNICKER ELASTIC, yup Smiley

It has a hole in the bottom of it, it was very very second hand fabric and i had no idea what to do with it. I don't really mind the hole though, it kinda goes with the whole look.

I made this while I was waiting to get my awesome cowgirl boots, and I needed new clothes to wear with them. This is actually the first time I've worn this dress with the boots.

It's quite ugly, but I like it Smiley

I like the pockets. I can keep licorice and my rat in them, although she doesn't stay in there Smiley

Wide Open shot Smiley

Tutorial::

You'll need::
PINS ((i didn't use any, but if you're not a confident seamstress, i advise to use them!))
tape measure
sewing machine ((or if ur doing it by hand.. your hands...))
2.5m fabric approx. ((It's best to use a stretchy, or slightly stretchy fabric, as it may be hard to get in and out of if its woven))

1. Measure yourself like in the diagram and make a note of the measurements. ((Front and back))

2. Cut one rectangle by your measurements A and D and another rectangle with your measurements A and G. These are your bust pieces front and back. ((Not that u have a bust on ur back.. but u know.. Smiley ))

3. Cut one rectangle with measurements B and E and another rectangle with measurements B and H. ((H and E should be roughly the same measurement, so you could cut 2 of the same size if you'd like)). These are you waist front and back.

4.  And finally cut two rectangles with the measurements F and C.  These are your skirt front and back.

5. Attach the Bust front to the Waist front. Pinch small gathers along the bust piece as you sew. It would be a good idea to pin these in instead of doing them as you go. It COULD end horribly. Make sur eyou pin where the sideseams will be first, and then pin in random bunches to make gathers in between.

((This is My Sewing Machine.. Pretty cute eh?))

You should have this.

Now, repeat for the back, using the upper back and the waist back. You won't need to make too many gathers in the back.

6. Now attach your waist to your skirt front piece. You'll need to do alot of gathering so grab fairly big bunches and sew them. Here's how I gather. Of course, if this was being made for anyone else but me, I'd use pins and make sure the gathers were even, but I live the random look.

First I pinch a bit, then fold it towards ((or away)) from the presser foot and just sew over it.

7. Now You have a front!

8. Attach the waist back to the skirt back as for the front. Now you have a back!

9. Now its time to add elastic. You could leave the dress the way it is, hem the top and bottom and add straps, and you'd have a very loose fitting kinda thing. But I'm adding KNICKER elastic. This pulls it in at the top and bottom of your bust and also the waist, which is what I'm going for. Measure under your bust with elastic, stretching it, but not too stretched ((You don't want the circulation cut off to your waist)). Cut the section needed. No do the same for across the top of your bust ((where the dress is going to hang from)), across your back at the top, and around your waist ((Cut this one in half))

((Stretch as you sew))

11. You should have a front and a back dress that don't quite lay flat ((The elastic should be pulling it up, making it curl))

12. Now sew your sideseams, making sure your seams line up.

13. Snip off any excess threads and TADA! DONE. You could add elastic straps like I did in my first dress, or you could add fabric straps, a halterneck, whatever. You could also hem the bottom, but because its a ragtag look I'm trying to peddle here, I left the hem undone.

ALSO, I didn't serge my seams because this dress is just for me. If I were to sell it, even tho stretchy fabric doesn't fray, I would serge every seam, just to make it look nice Smiley
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006 08:50:35 PM by SinDoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiss_liss
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006 09:11:47 PM »

I like it! It's cute in a kinda disheveled way.  And I really want to steal your rat! Yay for cowgirl boots  Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

,,`.Melli .`,,
imthemonkeyqueen
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006 09:28:42 PM »

I love that dress.I don't think it's ugly at all and it looks totally good on you, too. I would absolutely love a tute.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's like making music with your mouth!
enohpesrep
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006 09:31:43 PM »

this is supah-cute.  and your rat makes it even hawter.   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raining_dreams
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006 09:43:05 PM »

I would love a tute! I also am searching for cowboy boots. Where did yuo find yours?
 And oh my gosh your rat scared the crap out of me  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006 09:54:40 PM »

http://www.tukshoes.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=boots&Page=1

Tute coming up. That;s the link for where I got my boots, you can get heaps of different kinds, but i wanted something no one had Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ca_ca_im_a_seagull14
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006 10:08:15 PM »

your clothes are so cute!!
this dress is pretty much awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tia Cherry
mmm... craftalishous

A day without craft is like... Boring!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006 10:43:25 PM »

ohh this cute... i dont think its ugly at all Cheesy looks great.. Your a very talented seamstress. And its always good to learn by doing different things. I personally think it looks great Smiley Id love to see a tute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love to do a personal swap, Ill swap a stenciled shirt, tote or other item of clothing for something cute and crafty, hehe Smiley Just PM me.
SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006 10:57:37 PM »

Thanks everyone! It is quite an ugly litle thing but i like it too Smiley

heheh,

I'm sorry I look so angry in these photos too, it's my concentrating face
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flammable_feline

If people could put rainbows in zoos they'd do it.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006 12:57:32 AM »

I don't think it's ugly...
It's cute.... I really like it

And oh my gosh your rat scared the crap out of me  Cheesy
me too! I got such a fright when I saw it... just... sitting there..!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Maternity Dress Fashions for Summer
Do You Dress Like a Hippie?
How to Pull Off Leather in the Summer
Best Tips For Preparing Your Feet For Stiletto Season
How to Wear Black Overalls for Every Occasion
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...