A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving to Wichita - Advice?!  (Read 2610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mydogsjack

He's sweet really - it was Halloween

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2006 05:57:38 PM »

Looks like the family (me, fiance, dog & two cats) are moving to the Wichita area soon and I'm hoping I can get some help from crafters in the area on all the really important things one needs to learn about a new area...

-cool places to rent/live (like lofts) that allow pets
-parks or off-leash areas to take the dog
-a good: vet/gyn/dentist/hairdresser (4 seperate people, if one person does all that it would be too weird...)
-where to thrift
-best craft stores

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marleah
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006 07:10:02 PM »

Ok, I don't live in Wichita (I live out in the western part of Kansas that all those Wichita-ians forget exists  Grin ), but my aunt does, so I go there fairly often to visit. I don't know many details, but if you are into scrapbooking, Scrapbook Garden is a really cool store. I think they actually have two locations. I don't know the address, but I think they have a website.

Where are you moving from? Good luck - hopefully you find everything you need!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magdalen

an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006 01:39:15 PM »

What part of Wichita will you be in? I'm away at college now, but I grew up there.  Thrifting wise, there's a pretty decent Goodwill on West Central and an amazing secondhand clothing store called "Trends" near the Town West mall. And umm....the Eric Fisher hair saloon is the best, but it's expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magdalen.etsy.com
mydogsjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006 02:12:35 PM »

Thanks for the help!  I don't know where exactly we will be living yet, we are going this weekend to rental hunt (we live in MA now).  Although we have heard that the NE area is a good place to live - we would like to rent a single family house in a neighborhood that is quiet.

Thanks for the name of the scrapbooking store, I don't scrapbook but I use alot of the supplies for other things!

I will have to check out that salon - I'm cheap but also in need of a good haircut and hairdresser I can count on.

Once we get settled in I'm excited to discover the shopping and will definitely start with the thrift shops you mentioned.

Thanks again!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006 01:16:38 PM »

Hi & Welcome to Wichita!

I actually live right outside of Wichita - we made the choice to move out that way for the outlying school dristrict....  We're on what is considered the 'west side'.  Which side to live on depends a lot on what you're looking for....
The east side has more upscale restaurants and shopping, but living can also cost you more as well.  The west side is newer and still growing rapidly - we're getting more restaurants and shopping, there's more newer apts. etc. on this side as well.  Downtown is also an option, but I believe it will cost you more to live there than anyother part of the city.

What kind of crafts are you into?  I've been here 12 years now and might know most of them! LOL

Hair salons - DeAl and Eric Fisher are great, both are a bit expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missygjo
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006 10:32:27 AM »

Ok, lets see...

Vet: We go to All Creatures Vet Hospital and our vet is Randy Oehmke DVM.  Its a smaller place, but I actually like the more personal feel from it.  Its located in an open mall over on the West side off 13th.

Gyn:  I go to Debra Messamore located across from the Wesley Medical Center.  We've moved quite a bit and so I've had three children all delivered by differant doctors, and she is by far the best I've ever been to.

Dentist:  My whole family goes to Dr Lashley.  I think they have 2 locations at both the west and east ends of town.  They have dental hygenists and have been great for both me and my kids.

Lots of parks, but I don't know about dog parks.  But the shelter has a Woof-fest where people and their pets gather to do all kinds of activities and adoptions.

If you like stained glass you might want to check out this place... http://www.rayersinc.com/  I'm thinking of taking some classes there as soon as I have our latest baby. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mydogsjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006 11:16:28 AM »

Thanks for the info stacysews and missygjo!

We arrived yesterday with all our stuff and are unpacking.  It was quite a drive from MA!

We ended up renting a house in the Crown Heights area which we are really happy with.  It will be nice not to have other renters above or next to us! 

Its going to take awhile to settle in but hopefully with the extra days around thanksgiving well be in good shape soon.

Thanks again everyone for your help and recommendations we really appreciate it.

FYI - right now Im into Embroidery but am interested in maybe taking some classes in jewelry making or sewing.  First things first though we need a frig, microwave, couch and washer/dryer!  I can not wait until we are all settled in and I can just relax in the evening with a project!

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006 12:14:07 PM »

No problem!  Welcome to town!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigeyes
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006 11:57:58 PM »

Don't forget to check out the Riverfest.  Usually there are a lot of crafty things on display, and you might be able to find new craft suppliers through the various vendors.

As I recall, there used to be both a hobby lobby and a michael's, which means better prices because of the competition.  You never want to live in a 'one craft store' town. Wink

totally un-craft related, but Wichita is food heaven!  Lots of fine dining , and a few really good Thai and Korean restaurants, too....you, know, so you can keep up your strength for crafting! Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
wichitamom

Sewing & Crafts oh my!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008 10:13:42 AM »

congrats on making it to Wichita!
Is crown heights on the East side?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Bunny Cake
How to Make Bunny Face Cupcakes
Rum Cake Recipe
How to Make Crispy Easter Nests
Bulldog Pupcake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...