A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,780
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Protection for Swappers  (Read 3297 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cawfeehowse
« on: September 06, 2004 05:56:20 PM »

I don't know how this could be done but I think there needs to be protection for being in a swap.  I signed up and sent in my materials for the Hair Jewelry Swap and it's been a month and I have still yet to recieve anything or even hear from the organizer.  She's even changed her name so we can't contact her.   This was my first swap and I must say it hasn't been a pleasant experience.

Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004 06:29:52 PM »

That sucks! I too got burned --- or thought I did --- in the CD swap. My swap partner received my CD, but then I didn't hear from her again for ages, so I thought she'd dropped out; it turns out that she did send the CD, but it got lost in the mail, and she hadn't used delivery confirmation. In the interim, though, I posted about my sadness at not getting a CD, and hillarybillary was an angel and offered to send me something, so she and I exchanged CDs.

Anyway, I wish there was some way to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the first place. In my situation, delivery confirmation should have been used and would have prevented the problem, but in cases like yours, where you have to submit matierials to one central person and they flake out on you, I don't know what the solution would be. At the same time, though, I sort of feel like swapping is a gamble anyway (you never know what you're going to get!) and the shipping thing is just part of the risk you take. If the regulations were so restrictive that they prevented every potential problem, they'd be prohibitive enough that many of us would never join swaps in the first place.

Sorry you had such bad luck on your first swap --- I hope you'll still take part in future swaps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
glccafar
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004 06:54:38 PM »

I've been burned too, and by the same person that orgainzed the hair jewlery swap (small world, huh?  Roll Eyes).  Is there anyway to stop these jerks from changing their ids?  I feel they should be banned from the board, but I don't know if it's always possible to identify them in their new names.

Oh, how about this:  we should start a new sticky thread including bad swapers real names and addresses.  Even if they had a new id, their mail address would likely remain the same, so this could really help to prevent this sort of theft.

What do you guys think?   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MtyAphrdti
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004 07:09:29 PM »

On a different message board (totally other topic too) we have swaps and we have feedback for if you trade with someone you can let people know how it went.  We also have bad trader lists and all swaps require delivery confirmation.  HTH
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004 09:58:54 PM »

I would feel terrible if I got ripped off in a swap. I wonder if there is a way for the craftster goddesses to make it so a person can only have one ID from any given computer? Maybe thats not a good idea, but something similar to make it harder for people to just change IDs so easily?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004 08:48:34 PM »

I'm a mod at a trivia website, for the chat boards on the non-forum part of the site.  We have issues like this a lot.  If a person breaks the rules, their ID gets hosed, but they can just sign up again with a different email address.  Fortunately, the software can track IP addresses, and though it has happened once or twice that someone sharing a computer with a rule-breaker has had their ID's revoked as well (since the IP address may include more than one user), that is usually in the most serious of cases.  (As a family site, intended to be safe for children from 4-104, things like profanity, soliciting outside contact, etc., are considered serious crimes, and repeat offenders are banned and never let back until they get a new IP and we can't track them anymore.) 

All mods have access to the last known IP address of any user.  Just knowing we have that power has seemed to cut down quite a lot on problems.  We've had one or two really tough critters who keep signing up over and over, but they are usually also the ones who get really threatening, etc., and a quick email to the ISP associated with the IP with copies of private messages sent via their service is sure to get results. 

If it becomes a serious enough problem with one or two people, I'm sure Leah could probably contact the ISP of said user to let them know this user is commiting mail fraud.  That'd take care of that pretty quick.  I am not quite sure of the particulars, but if a person is organizing a trade where they take everything and redistribute it, I'd think it'd fall in there somewhere.  "Failure to Provide" the products you "bought" with your contribution to the trade, or something...  Again, that'd be in the most serious of cases, but having a threat like that would sure keep ME in line!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
xmelinda
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004 06:38:33 AM »

I got burned on my first swap, too, same situation, where I didn't hear from her, didn't receive anything, the organizer didn't hear from her, and there was no longer any record of her username ever existing!  And this was for a swap that took me a lot of effort and many hours of work to make.  I used delivery confirmation, and the USPS site says the package was delivered.  I'm tempted to write a letter to the same address telling her to send back the package, that she is a bad person and a thief.

I've signed up for more swaps, because I do think it's a really fun idea, but I don't know if I'd do another one that was so involved.  Right now I only feel comfortable swapping for little things.

I don't know how to fix the problem, though.  The organizer of my swap had no way of knowing that the person was a deadbeat because her ID was not on the deadbeats list.  I don't know if you could publish full addresses of people who've been deadbeats in the past, but even something like "DO NOT SWAP WITH JULE LOVE IN LOCKPORT, NY" might be helpful.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004 07:16:44 AM »

We, the mods, have been looking in to ways to make swapping a bit safer.  Please continue to post suggestions, and we'll keep an eye on this board and see which ones we can implement. 

In the meantime, one suggestion is that before joining a swap, do a little research into the organizer.  How long have they been a member?  How much do they post?  Have they participated in other swaps?  By clicking on their name you can pull up their info page, and from there it's really easy to see all of their (or their 10 or howevermany most recent) posts.  Use your discretion to decide if this person looks trustworthy - especially if they are organizing a central (send everything to me and I'll distribute) swap. 

And if you're organizing, maybe make 1 or 2 extra items to hold in reserve to send out to people who have a bad partner.  They can be simplified versions of the swap item, but I'm sure the recipient will feel better if they get something, even if it isn't as elaborate as what most people are getting. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
JWoww Sniptease Thursdays: Red Ombre Look
JWoww Sniptease Thursdays: Cotton Candy Hair Dye
Plaited Bridesmaid Hairstyle Tutorial
Summer Travel Tips For Natural Hair
Rock a Gorgeous Updo for Short Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...