A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 305,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ball Winders?  (Read 798 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Locutus137
« on: October 12, 2006 09:00:59 AM »

I really want to get a ball winder, but the 2 listed at Joann.com seem to have problems with quality - based on reviews.  I've looked everywhere locally.  For those of you that use them, which ones are the best?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimidawn24
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006 02:18:42 PM »

I bought one of the two on Joanns, the one that is blue and white plastic.  I have not had any problems with it- I just let the yarn run through my hand before it runs through the metal loop onto the ball, and it works fine for me.  I was a little timid about purchasing after I read those reviews as well, but since I used a 40% off coupon, I figured it wouldn't be a horrible waste if it was crappy.
So yeah, I would recommend that one.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandyb
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006 02:48:44 PM »

Ditto. I have the blue and white one too and love it. No problems at all. I had actually been looking for the same brand that my LYS uses (but never has in stock) and couldn't find it online. Imagine my surprise when the "blue and white" winder that arrived from JoAnn's was the very winder I had been looking for. They don't tell you in the description, and the photo they use (or used 3 months ago) is of a different winder, but the one I received is made by Royal and is good quality. It's the more expensive of the two they sell, so I would suggest waiting for a coupon if you can...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xchinagurlyx
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006 07:20:11 PM »

I love my blue and white ball winder, too.  I've only had it for about six months, but I use it rather often.  It's never caused my yarn to break or anything, but I do find that I have to keep a consistent winding speed, or else the yarn bunches up and doesn't look pretty (they still get the job done, though).  And I find that I have to tighten the part that clamps to the table every once in a while (like, for every 20 "cakes" it produces), but it's not an issue. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
medstudentknitter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006 08:58:09 PM »

Ditto. I have a royal blue and white that I'm quite pleased with. Occasionally something annoying and tangly happens when I'm not paying attention, but really no more often then I've experienced in stores with other brands of winders. I've discovered that just about the cheapest I can find winders for is $30 US, so if you find something cheaper it's a real bargin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love the friendly faces of old Sorrows;
I have no secrets that they do not know.
-Karle Wilson Baker
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006 09:35:24 PM »

Funny this question came up since I have a related one:

How much can this (blue and white, the more expensive one) ball winder handle? I'm looking for one to wind up handspun but need something a little hardier than the dinky 50g capacity one my lys sells. I'm considering an $80 one that can handle alot but since I rarely ever fit more than 100g on a bobbin, the joann one might do the job just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandyb
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006 09:13:24 AM »

The largest "cakes" I've made on the blue and white winder are 100g. One was 165yds of ww wool, the other was 223yds. That second one was really pushing the limits, though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melliska
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006 06:58:31 PM »

Is it necessary to use a swift with a ball winder, or can you use one without one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
medstudentknitter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006 07:11:24 PM »

You don't need a swift, but it's a lot easier if you have one. I have a desk chair that rotates and I put the skeins over it as a sort of crude swift. Mostly it just keeps the yarn from tangling while I pull several wraps off the chair, wind, repeat. Of course, if I'm just winding two yarns together for a project or re-winding something that's already in a ball there's no problem at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love the friendly faces of old Sorrows;
I have no secrets that they do not know.
-Karle Wilson Baker
elsapelle
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006 08:45:06 AM »

if you're looking for something sturdier than the classic "blue and white," i saw that nancy's knit knacks has a heavy duty winder out now. it can wind a big ball and probably doesnt wiggle off the table (my problem with the plastic winders). my other problem tends to be that my arm gets tired, so i stop winding when i'm going at warp speed, which sends the winder spinning across the room, gets my yarn all tangled, and screws up the swift. fun fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Food on a Fire Pit
Summer Steak Dinner Recipe
How to Make Poutine
How to Make Onion Rings
How to Personalize Your Stuffing
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...