A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Remaking, remodeling, and rehauling dolls - how?  (Read 2113 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2006 06:26:31 PM »

I've seen lots of fabulous re-done dolls on Craftster that've inspired me a lot, but, I'm at a loss as to how to do my own.

I currently have two dolls that I want to work with.
One is a thrift-store find, a life-size baby doll with a cloth body and a plastic head, hands, and feet. It's not terribly clean, and soap and water did absolutely nothing to clean the marks off the face. I didn't get the cloth wet at all, since I don't know if that'd damage the stuffing, but I'd like to wash that, too.
The second is an old Kelly (Barbie's sister/daughter?) doll that's in great condition, except that the hair is permanently pulled up and bent, since she used to have a ponytail.
For both dolls, I'd like to redo their makeup, but I'm not sure what to use.

Thank you so much for your help!
(Sorry if there's a better place for this - I couldn't find one.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
dammitall
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006 05:59:55 AM »

If the babydoll doesn't come clean anyway, maybe you could paint it?  A friend of mine used to take thrifted dollies and acrylics and give them new life on the dark side:

You could also remove the cloth body and give it a new one, either the same sort as it had, or an animal body, whatever occurred to you.

You can re-root doll hair with a felting needle, you'd just need some sort of hair to root.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006 09:03:03 AM »

Painting might work. This baby doll is definitely going to the dark side anyway. Cheesy

Edit: Nail polish remover took off most of the baby doll's more offensive marks, like the swipe of lime green across the cheek.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006 11:55:06 AM by Dorkariffic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
Hookin Flamingo

What were you saying again?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006 12:09:52 PM »

Dorkarrific darling....
I am here to help.  Grin  Hookin' Flamingo to the rescue!  Cheesy

I have redone/re-conned all types of doll and ponies etc and I can tell you all the ends and outs. I learned most of my through trail and error but I also had a friend help me who does re-born cabbage patch kids.

So let me give you these few pointers to start with.

Take off the head, hands, and feet of the doll with the cloth body.
You will see that they are held on with zip cable ties. (You can buy these at wal-mart in the auto section) Now once you get the head etc off then either get some more cable ties or run some strong cotton yarn through the seams and ties them tight. Pull them and cinch them up for all your worth so that the stuffing will not come out.
Them once you get that done throw the body in the washing machine. If you are not sure you got the holes closed up enough then put her in a zippered lingerie bag or tie her in a pillow case.
But wash her in warm water (I normally wash mine with towels) and then dry her well.
While you have the head, hands, and feet off you can clean them with fingernail polish remover that has been watered down a little.
Too much acetone and it will eat through the plastic she is made out of.
You may even need a scotch brite pad to get off some of the stubborn stains. My friend that does the cabbage patch kids swears by the Mr clean magic erasers also.

Now once you get all of that done and decide if you want to paint her etc or if you want to re-root her hair I will go into detail about that for you.
And when ever you get ready or have another questions just PM me or drop a note here.
I will be happy to help  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to make you a journal for a personal swap. PM me!
My wist: http://www.wists.com/hookinflamingo
My blog: http://thehappyhookinflamingo.blogspot.com/

Dorkariffic asked me to the hoe down *blushes* I feel like Cinderella going to the ball *GRIN*
Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006 06:29:39 PM »

Ohhh, thank you for your help, Hookin!

I looked at the doll, and I didn't see zip cable ties, but then, I didn't really know what to look for. I didn't really see anything that looked like a "cut here" sorta thing. (And I told my mom that I was planning to detach the head and limbs from the body, and she freaked out and told me to just surface wash it.) So I'm not really sure what to do there. I tried to get a picture of the doll to show you the attachments, but my camera decided that this was a good time for the batteries to die.  Tongue

I do want to paint it, if for nothing else than to paint it's nails.

As for hair, the baby doll doesn't have any hair, but I will have to do something to fix Kelly's hair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists & LJ links in pro
Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006 07:25:23 PM »

There it is.
Oh, and Hookin, don't worry - I'm still working on your package!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists & LJ links in pro
Hookin Flamingo

What were you saying again?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006 07:36:15 PM »

OK let me see if I can help you with what you are looking for.

Look at the top of the arms where they meet the fabric.
You will see where it looks like is it sewn on

That little grove I put the arrow too is what holds the cable tie (hard plastic thing int he seam) So look right at the spot where the arm connects and pull the fabric back just a little.
You should see a hole where the tie was run through the seam and tightened. In fact if you run a finger around that seam you should feel a hard bump and that will be where the tie connects.
Get a pair of scissors that you will not mind dulling to cut it at the bump
I hope that helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to make you a journal for a personal swap. PM me!
My wist: http://www.wists.com/hookinflamingo
My blog: http://thehappyhookinflamingo.blogspot.com/

Dorkariffic asked me to the hoe down *blushes* I feel like Cinderella going to the ball *GRIN*
kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006 02:07:42 PM »

Shaving cream and an old toothbrush works great to get that inevitable smudgy dirt build up off of plastic dolls.  The foam gets into the pores of the plastic.  This also works great for other plastic things around the house (like picnic coolers with that interesting uncleanable texture on it). It also seems to remove ball point pen in some cases too.  Assumign they haven't been a big investment you could try running the whole thing through the wash with something like your bath towels.  I don't think you could hurt the plastic much and if the stuffing got funny, you could just open a seam a little and restuff it.  Greased Lightning works well on things like tennis shoes.  It might be worth a try.

http://www.dolls-n-daggers.com/Dolls/Progress.html
A GREAT link for ideas on reconstructing and repairing dolls.  It tells how to fix "Barbie" hair (the sticky frizzy knot that marks six months of enduring a 6 year old)  It's directed toward fashion dolls but has a bunch of potential, amazing ideas and some other good links.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006 02:29:33 PM »

Oh my goodness, kd, that site is fantastic! That's going to help so much for the Kelly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists & LJ links in pro
Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006 09:50:32 AM »

Alright, I'm ready to paint. I've gotten the impression that acrylics are the way to go, but do I need to do anything fancy with them?

EDIT: I looked at that site again and realized that it has painting instructions, too. Oops.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006 11:14:36 AM by Dorkariffic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists & LJ links in pro
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Christmas Decorations
How to Put Together a Black Collage
How to Decide on Your Scrapbook Layout
A Guide to Hybrid Scrapbooking
How to Choose a Scrapbook Layout
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...