A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50%+ Christmas Gift Challenge  (Read 31133 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitty Diamond
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2006 08:53:45 PM »

My hubby- a stressball!!!!!! lol I have yet to figure out how to go about making them! Smiley But he needs one!
You can make a stress ball with a balloon, a funnel, and flour. Just stick the end of the funnel into the balloon, fill er' up until it's nice and tight, and tie off the end. Maybe you could use a Sharpie to draw the face on!
Hope this helps, Liz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jane dough
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2006 07:47:51 AM »

Friend 6: We have said that we won't exchange gifts (I try to keep the number of friends we exchange gifts we to a minimum  for sanity's and economies sake

Buying gifts for all of my friends became way too much a few years ago.  With my family, my in-laws, our closest friends, and office parties...we just have too many gifts to give. 

So a bunch of us decided that we would do the "dirty Santa" gift thing at a party each year.  Set a limit (say $15-$20) and everyone brings in a gift for the party.  Put all of the wrapped gifts in a pile, and give everyone a number (1 through however many people are participating).  The first person chooses a gift.  The second person gets to choose whether they want the first person's gift or to unwrap a new one.  If they choose to take the other person's gift, that person now gets to unwrap a new one.  It gets exciting when tons of gifts have been opened, and people can take things from anyone.  Important:  Once a gift has been swapped 3 times, no one can take it from the person who has it.  You do this all the way to the last number, and then the person who went first can choose whether to keep what they have or to switch with anyone else.  (Obviously the person who gets to go first is the luckiest!)

We could end up with 20+ people at the party, and we've only spent $20 to have a great time with our friends.  We've even had DIY themes before.  Good luck, and I hope this helps people who need ideas on saving money.

Edited to run spell check
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006 07:49:28 AM by jane dough » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity.
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2006 09:23:09 AM »

Jane Dough- We call that "chinese gift exchange" around here, but I agree, it's so much fun! Everyone was fighting over the candlewarmer and the boardgame "baulderdash". I ended up with the game, and I gotta say... best game ever!

Gift list update for me, since I'm a slacker-

Mom- Painting her garden bench (Has been planned, cannot complete until Christmas Eve)
Dad- [purchaced gift]
Sister- Hat, scarf, and scarfpin set (all invader zim themed. Hat completed, scarf and pin 90% complete), pocket scarf, fingerless gloves/armwarmers, 3 amigurumi
Pseudo-cousin- ?
Pseudo-uncle- tattoo design, pop-tab underwear
Aunt 1- green chennile scarf
Aunt 2- felt cat pomanders (she owns a groom & board)
Boyfriend- Jayne hat done but for earflaps... anything else I have time for.
Allie- mini-bunny amigurumi
Meghan- amineko (my own design)
John- sockmonkey (he loooooves these!)
Other Mother/Moms best friend- Not really a craft... but she gets one of these -> http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=115322.msg1101386#msg1101386 I have the yarn... just need to go to the Buck.

And last minute stocking stuffers which I won't even pretend to plan out.

...not much been done on my list, sad to say. Hope the rest of you are doing a bit better than I Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
Nyx_slittleDemon
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2006 02:23:55 PM »

ick i havent been able to get on on forever BUT i made a bunch of stockings that i will try to get a pic of soon and i think they turned out really good i really like them. and im working on a baby blanket for my cousins baby and ive made a few slippers and tomarrow im going to get some more yarn for scarfs...but..thats my update lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bagheera
D 僆!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2006 12:34:25 PM »

Wow, it's great to see all these joiners!  Grin I can't wait to see some more "Updated!"'s! Grin
I love looking at everyone's progress and plans, and photos of finished projects!
Those cuff bracelets are awesome, too!
Come on people, you can do it!!!
Awww, cfbandit, that's disappointing! Don't let it get you down, though, you've done lots and I'm sure you'll succeed yet!
Those stockings are cute! (But surely you're not planning on giving the wrench to the puppy? Wink LOL!)
Thanks for the instructions about making stress balls, Kitty Diamond, I think I might make some, too!
I've done a similar version of that gift exchange three times now, it's so fun! Grin
I can't wait to see pics, Nyx_slittleDemon, I love looking at homemade stockings! Grin

((On a side-note, thank goodness for Firefox and "Recently Closed Tabs"!!!!!!))
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Death Note as I am? Clickies and show your support for a swap! Grin
---
As I lay back, looking at the stars, I began to wonder...
Where the heck did my roof go???
diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2006 02:26:23 PM »

OMGah! TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eheheheheheheehe now I can make stressballs for everyone!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy heheheeheh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2006 02:51:45 AM »

That's a fun idea Jane Dough. People do Secret Santa here,usually in big families or workplaces but I's never heard of Dirty Santa.

Love those stockings cfbandit.

I updated my post.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bagheera
D 僆!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2006 08:30:04 AM »

Ooh, that's great, Saor! Keep going! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Death Note as I am? Clickies and show your support for a swap! Grin
---
As I lay back, looking at the stars, I began to wonder...
Where the heck did my roof go???
fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2006 10:48:33 AM »

I think I am up for the challenge. I'm not sure what percentage of my gifts will be handmade, but I think it's probably more than half. Purple is handmade!

My boyfriend:
 - He's getting the most not-handmade gifts. A USB drive, some dvd's, an ipod shuffle. For handmade gifts he is getting:
 - a piggy bank that I painted for him to save for Burning Man. I've already finished it and wrapped it up, but of course I forgot to take pics first, so those will have to wait until he opens it. I'm hoping he'll choose that as the gift he gets to open for Hanukah, so it'll be before Christmas.
 - stadium seat cushions. OK I don't know what they are supposed to be called, but I bought some foam squares, and some bandanas for the local football team, and they will be cushy seats to put over the hard cold bench at football games. Still have to get started on this one!

My parents -
 - I knit a kippah (yarmulke, beanie...) for my dad. It's not wrapped yet so hopefully I'll remember to take pics before I do.
 - Hand-painted plate. Finished! and posted about it here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=138583.0
 - I might also knit a hat or something for my mom, I haven't decided if I should do anything else for her yet or not, the plate was kind of a big deal Smiley.

Boyfriend's family - mostly gifts from 'both of us' and he's actually put some craftiness in too!

His parents:
 - I am knitting a nativity scene. It's a pattern by Alan Dart in the Women's Weekly Knitting and Stitching Special 2005. I started knitting it just after Christmas last year, and have been working on bits and pieces slowly since then. I've finished knitting all the people and the sheep, still have to do the donkey and the barn, and make everything up - lots of stuffing and sewing. I will absolutely post a ton of pics once it is finished.
 - BF painted a ceramic photo frame for his mom while I was doing the plate. Too bad he wrapped it already, it's really cute and psychedelic.
 - BF bought lots of socks for his dad
 - I made marble magnets for both his parents. His mom's set is a snowman (each ball on a separate magnet plus a top hat) unfortunately wrapped before pics, and his dad's set is transportation symbols:

His sister:
 - we're going to get her the U2 by U2 book.
 - marble magnets:

- maybe something else...? knit socks?

His 10 year old neice:
 - we bought her a talking Bratz doll
 - marble magnets with Bratz heads (sorry no pic)
 - Maybe something else...? If anyone has a pattyern for knit or sewn Bratz clothes that would be the best!

And our friends:
 - I got a bunch of cute plastic retro-lookin popcorn containers fron the dollar store. We're going to make homemade green and red candy popcorn, fill the containers, wrap in pretty cellophane, and give to friends!
 - I have to buy the children's book "Red is Best" for one of my friends because it suits her so much. She'll probably get popcorn too.
 - I made more marble magnets for some friends too- Star Trek ones:

and cool blue ones:

Oh, all the marble magnets are being gifted in handmade origami paper boxes, too. Found the instructions somewhere on craftster....

I think that's it! And I hope it's at least 50% crafty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2006 12:40:17 PM »

I can't wait to see the knit nativity scene, fairysari. That platter is cool too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Embellish Glass and Wood Surfaces
DIY Nursery Series: Easy Tissue Paper Wall Art
How to Make a Dream Catcher Necklace
How to Make a Paper Mache Craft Bowl
How to Make an Awesome Key Holder
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...