A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50%+ Christmas Gift Challenge  (Read 36350 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006 12:29:47 PM »

Oooh, mine aren't really crafty, but they will be homemade!
I work at Starbucks and every week I get a pound of coffee or a box of tea for free. So I've been stocking up like crazy!
Anyways, this year since I am mailing off presents, they have to be somewhat light, as I am broke.
I have decided to make biscotti and cookies to go with the tea and coffee I am sending out. I'm not quite sure how I will be "wrapping" them. I was thinking some of those white handle bags you can get at the craft stores, and maybe stamping them with potatoes!
little Picture drawer person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006 12:41:12 PM »

Tehehe! I'm in! Mainly because I've got to be in... I'm gonna be unemployed this Chrimbles unless something really drastic happens! Sad Oh well- lots of time on me hands to make things for people! Horray!

So far I've got:
Boyfriend- either kimono robe or beanbag chair (Depends on which of those I make him for his birthday!) Might make him an animation (I'm an animator/ illustrator fer my erm... 'career', so I guess making him a one-off animation just for him would be a great idea, but it just feels like work to me... -_-)

Dad- Dr. Who scarf (+something else?)

Ma- Family History scrap book/ photo album with lots of pockets and things for her to fill with all her research!

Bruv- Not sure yet (Only just sorting out his birthday prezzo- see 'present brain blockage forum!' ^_-)

Friends- vinyl record journals, monster purses, one off illustrations, etc... Smiley

so... yeh... that's where I'm at! A tad worried, because I have to learn to knit before I can make a scarf. Luckily my Ma's at hand to help out!  Grin
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006 01:32:57 PM »

I'm in!  I'm to broke to buy Christmas presents.  Cheesy

Here's my list so far:

Mom & Sister:  Quilted sweatshirts, Scented hot pads, knit dishcloths, handmade soaps and candles.

Dad & Brother in law:   Huh  Will need to find some ideas here.

Two Older Nephews:  Giant Stuffed Geckos

Baby Nephew:  Mini Gecko, Sock Monkey Hat from Happy Hooker, and Knit Jingle Blocks.

Son:  Felt Bug Set, Frog Fleece Hoodie, Mini Gecko, Stuffed Rudolph, Fabric Books  (The last two were gifts from last year that never got made  Undecided)

Son's Half Sister:  Dora Sweatshirt (OK so this is just an iron on) and I'll probably either knit or sew her something girlie too.  She really needs more girlie stuff.

Everyone will also get some Christmas cookies and maybe some of those chocolate cherry mice I saw on here too.  Smiley

OK, Need to go get to work now!!!   Grin
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006 11:58:08 AM »

Last year, I was probably pretty close to 50% (but my husband tips the scales quite a bit since he LOVES buying people presents, expensive presents that we shouldn't be buying, I'm hoping this year I can convince him to tone down a little and let me make some things)
But I am definitely in, I started making my list last night.  It's shorter than last year since we won't be going back "home" (it's not really home for either of us, but it's where we were, not even from, we went to HS there, how about that, and all our friends live around there, and some family), but anyhow, since we are staying here, 6 hours away this year, I can drop like a dozen people from my list, YAY!

Here's my list and ideas...

Husband - PJ bottoms (he needs something comfy to hang out in on the weekends), caffeinated peppermint soap (bought off etsy), and we bought a Wii (it's our big Christmas gift to eachother)
Son (15mos@xmas) - Hooded towel (his "baby" ones are too small now), Chiefs toddler jersey (bought)
Mom (& 12/11 birthday) - CD case (I'm going to buy one and then embellish it)(her request), Reversible Flannel Hooded Jacket (making after Christmas, per her request), LBC
Dad/Stepmom - UGA fleece blanket, 2 3-ring binder covers, and a Sunglasses case (plus a handmade card)
Older brother (27) - Felt cat toys (just have to find the catnip and stuff) (decided against the wallet, not enough time/patience), Star Wars DVDs (bought)
Younger brother (19) - Guitar strap/Bass Strap, stencilled Bob Dylan tshirt, the only 2 Kurt Vonnegut books he doesn't own (bought)
Grandma (my mom's mom is the only one left on my side) - Checkbook cover (my mom said that's what she wants), handmade card w/ pictures
MIL - Apron
FIL - KU fleece blanket

BIL 1 (23) - DS case (probably like this one - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=127932.msg1239051;topicseen#msg1239051 - so close to being done and now I've broken all my needles so I can't finish it yet), coffee cozy, fleece scarf
BIL 2 (18) - coffee cozy, stencilled tshirt
Grandparents 1 - handmade card w/ pictures
Grandparents 2 - handmade card w/pictures

Bestgirlfriend 1 (+husband & daughter) - DS case (for friend, not like the one above, I have a pattern in my head for one I am making for myself), coffee cozy (for her husband), snap-on wrist bands (for her daughter)(last year I made the daughter an awesome HK hoodie, you can see it here - http://webpages.charter.net/chippathingy/made/Pics4%20038.jpg), 2 LBCs, cupcake and crossbones stenciled apron (for friend - she works at a catering company, they do lots of baking, so this would be cute for work)
Bestgirlfriend 2 - Flannel scarf, LBC, something else? (maybe) (have until early Jan. to get done)
Younger brother's girlfriend (17?) - naugahyde wristlet/clutch (decided against fleece puppy scarf, again time/patience), LBC
Good guyfriend 1/husband's bestfriend - stenciled tshirt (of my husband's face), my husband is also giving him our big screen (we're getting a new one)
Good guyfriend 2 - coffee cozy
Younger brother's exgirlfriend (who rocks) - LBC, hooded reversible fleece/flannel scarf
*(new add) Another girlfriend - LBC, ??, ?? (have until early Jan. to get done)
+ another girlfriend who is a member so I'm not going to put what she's getting on here (FINISHED ALL, will post pics after christmas)
*(new add) + stocking&stuffers personal swap which I will also not post until after she's gotten it because she's also craftster member (FINISHED ALL)

I plan on making all the girls/women lipbalm cozies (that's what all the LBC 's are, haha) (using this tutorial - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=97503.0) and including a lipbalm (bought off etsy).
The coffee cozy can be seen here (http://webpages.charter.net/chippathingy/made/coffeecozie.jpg), that's the one I made for my FIL.

I'm trying to not have to buy anything else craft supplies wise.  I have a ton of fabric and notions and such so I shouldn't have to buy more.  I need to use a lot of it up before we move (I don't want to have to pack it all up and move it, haha). 

Now I just need to get started and put aside some time for making a few more things to pad my etsy store out for the christmas season too!

Sorry it's so long, and has so many links, I thought they might be helpful for anyone else looking for ideas...

Strikedthrough = Made/Done/Complete/Finished WooHoo!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006 01:02:45 PM by Zelda.Suicide » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Productivity is the key to wisdom.

Experiment, Practice, Learn, Teach (& sell often)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2006 04:56:44 PM »

I'm in too!  So, what happens now... I always make 50% of the gifts I give.  It'll be nice to get some recognition for it this year!   Wink

Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams

Stop by my website and tell me what you think by signing the guestbook!
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006 05:15:05 PM »

I'm totally. I already have a lot made:

felt ornaments
embroidered tea towels
felt travel kit bag
year planners (made in big binders with sections built in)
crochet sweater for an acquaintances baby
iron on T shirt with the Trailer Park Boys for my sis (it's half completed)
(and some other stuff I can't think of right off the top of my head and I'm too chicken to try and open the door to my craft closet, which is STUFFED right now)

still to make:

bleach pen "OM" t shirts
table clothes
duvet cover
homemade doggie treat in velum paper bags with bows

One of  the craftsters mentioned difficulties coming up with craft ideas for boys. I made tie-dye shirts for all of my bf's nieces and nephews and made hang tags etc for them. They liked them. Or you could do the bleach pen idea on a black t-shirt for them too.

Etsy Shoppe: Blissed Out! by sharon-lizette designs.

My craft, travel and vegan delites blog. Stop by and say hi!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2006 06:18:05 PM »

well i've decided what i'm making for most of my people

mom: scarf and either pajama pants or a painted window
dad: no idea yet
oldest brother: garfield pajama pants and i dunno what else
his girlfriend: monkey pj pants and a scarf
older sister: scarf and fleece pj pants
her husband: no idea yet
her son: a big taggie like blanket with fleece cars material and wooden magnets
older brother: decoupaged card box and i dunno what else
little sister: crocheted wrist warmers and a reconstructed skirt

boyfriend: now that one's hard, so far i think he's getting a reconned hoodie and maybe something to put all his video games in

i already have 1 of the scarfs done and the other 2 started and my mom's pj pants just need to be hemmed up

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2006 05:41:37 PM »

It looks like i'm in as well, as i'm not going to be as flush this christmas as i thought i'd be.

My list:

Mom:   homemade shortbread cookies.. i don't know what else

Dad:   Gift box full of spices and sauces, along with a grilling apron with a photo transfer of my sister and myself.

Dad's girlfriend: no freaking idea, might just buy her pj pants or might attempt to make for her. Maybe also a necklace.

sister: tote bag i've been promising to make her for a while, maybe earrings.. not sure what else

The Boyfriend:  Fleece scarf with applique,  not quite sure what else.

Boyfriend's parents:  parmesan rosemary shortbread, felt ornaments

Boyfriend's sister:   maybe a necklace

Grandparents no. 1:   no idea

Grandparents no. 2:    giftbasket of teas, a fleece blanket, parmesan rosemary shortbread, and not sure what else.

Friend no. 1 :     not sure, very difficult person to craft for.

Friend no. 2:   no idea.

rest of family:     felt ornaments and assortment of homemade cookies.

I'll post again when i get more idears.

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006 12:54:19 PM »

I finished all my lip balm cozies last night (complete with lip balm from etsy)

and I also got Bestgirlfriend 2's flannel scarf done last night (quick and easy seeing as how it's just 2 long rectangular pieces of flannel sewn together)

I was going to make coffee cozies today but I had a custom etsy order to take care of and I went to vote, so tomorrow will be coffee cozy day making day.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011 07:12:11 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006 03:00:11 PM »

i'm in..

I have my parents and brother and grilfriend, my husbands parents, brother, sister-in-law, nephew and new baby nephews.  An Aunt, 2 friends, two friends kids.  I have slashed the list.

We will see.  I am debating starting a teacosy or cup cosy for his aunt.

I really like the lip balm cozies. Maybe, if I have time, I will make some for hubby's neices.

Craftster has justified my packrat behaviour
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nina Sankovitch: What Are You Reading?
Six Essential Skills of Extraordinary Entrepreneurs
Chef Dan Churchill Makes Fresh, Flavorful Marinated Mushrooms
Meet Deliciously Ella
AirBnB Got Started with an Air Mattress and an Idea
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...