A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,356
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with Meema's Tote  (Read 2502 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yorkshirepudding
« on: September 05, 2004 07:01:35 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I just started Meema's tote and tonight.  I'm at the stage where you need to pick up the stitches.  I'm not getting it (I'm a new knitter).  I've looked online but I'm still unsure, specifically about where to start. 

Can anyone help?

TIA!
Adele
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yorkshirepudding
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004 09:00:07 PM »

No worries, I think I figured it out.  Hopefully.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yorkshirepudding
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004 10:13:58 PM »

Me again.  It seems I DO still need help.  I somewhat got the whole concept of picking up stitches but I faced two probs:

- the long sides weren't even.  One was 22 the other 20. 
- when I knit in the round, it was still garter stitch.  Not stockinette.  Did I pick up the wrong way?  I picked it up from the back.

Hope someone can help.  I've had one of those days and would really love to move forward.  I had to frog the whole bloody thing.

Adele
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004 06:49:07 AM »

i dont have the pattern here. but just pick up every stitch all the way round - your stitches on one long side will essentially be out of line with those on the other side. the short sides should have the same number but seriuously if its only a couple different its  felted project with no fancy stitch pattern - its not going to matter much i think you probably did pick it up the worng way, if you're knitting every row you should get stocking stitch on the outside and reverse stocking on the inside - which might look a bit like garter. if you're knitting one row and purling the next you'll be geting garter stitch - just knit every row. If you've ended up with the smooths ide of stocking stitch on the inside you're essentially knitting it inside out. i would just keep going if this is what you're doing and turn the bag right side out when you're done. hope that helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004 09:53:47 AM »

Ditto everything that ysolda said. Since you are felting it, the pattern is extremely forgiving of mis-knits and the like. Personally, every time that I knit in the round, the stockinette ends up on the inside (hanging down towards my lap and not pointing up at me). I thought I was doing something wrong, but it is just a matter of turning it inside out.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yorkshirepudding
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004 10:02:45 AM »

Thanks ysolda and greenchick.  I just finished up the 44 rows of garter stitch so I'm ready to begin the picking up again.

Would one of you mind instructing me on how to pick up on the long side.  I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. 

I thought I was getting somewhere the other night, but the knit was all screwed up on the long side, yet was stockinette on the shorts sides.  I'm no clue why that would be.  I am knitting every row.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004 01:44:47 PM »

ok, lets see if i can do this without pictures.
when you get to the point where ul be picking up the stitches - you want to work from right to left. so start with all the stitches of your original base bit and the ones you picked up from the 1st short side on your right needle.  insert the point of your left needle into the next stitch you come to, which will be the far right stitch of your cast on edge. knit this stich and then pick up the next one with the left needle and knit that work your way along the cast on edge from left to right. when you get to the end of that edge just pick up stitches for the last short side in the same way. you should now have stitches from all of your edges picked up and be ready to start knitting round and round.
hope that helped - if not il see about doing some paint sketches
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
yorkshirepudding
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004 03:14:28 PM »

Oh god, I'm such a numbnut.  I'm still not getting it.  Here's why:

After doing 44 rows, my original stitches are on the left needle.  Do I just flip the needles?

Don't I pick up the long side first before the short side.  You mention:

start with all the stitches of your original base bit and the ones you picked up from the 1st short side on your right needle.

When you say 1st short side, do you mean the bottom?

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by working my way along the cast on edge (though I'm guessing you mean the long sides) from left to right.  Don't I just work down the long side, then the short and then the long side again?

Also, I though you wasn't supposed to actually knit the stitches but just pick them up.

Thank you for all your help.  I really appreciate it.  I'm not dumb I swear!  Grin Roll Eyes

THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004 06:27:13 AM »

This pattern is so easy that it is difficult (kind of like men Grin). It confused the hell out of me, but it is easy once you get the hang of it. Start with the sixteen stitches on your right hand needle (the yarn will be on the tip). Pick up 22 stitches along the long side (the 44 rows of garter stitch) - you need to pick up one on every other row. Then pick up 16 stitches along the cast-on side (short side) and continue around the last long side (again, you will pick up the stitches along every other row). You should have about 76 stitches (16+22+16+22 . . . it's early and the coffee hasn't hit the bloodstream yet) on your circular needle.

Now, a few people have had problems with the right twist, but it is fairly easy. You are going to do four right twists per round (they kind of form corners for your bag). When you get to the two stitches before the marker, you will knit into the first stitch, but don't slip it off the needle, then knit into the first stitch that you come to. Eventually, you really won't need the markers because the feeling is different. It was discussed in this thread but I can't remember if it was helpful (and I didn't want to look through the 8 pages - sorry).

Good luck,
Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yorkshirepudding
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004 07:50:33 PM »

Jill,

Thanks for responding.  I actually went down to my LYS today and they showed me everything I was screwing up.  I can't believe how easy it all was.  Sometimes I think you just need to see it ya know. 

Again, thank you.

Adele
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shooting Styles for Beer Pong
Rules for Playing Beer Pong
Playing Beer Pong
No Opponent in Backgammon
Bearing in to Win a Race in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...