A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Popsicle stick loom?  (Read 4537 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Leylia

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world.

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2006 11:29:31 AM »

I was at an art festival yesterday, and a woman with some gorgeous woven items gave me some advice when I told her that the reason I don't weave is because I can't afford a loom.  She briefly described a "popsicle stick loom," and it seems simple enough...but a little TOO simple, if you know what I mean.   Undecided

Has anybody tried this?  Is it worth the time and effort, or does it suck?  Does anyone even know what this is?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kindness isn't dead.  Promise.

R.I.P. Brett (1982-2007)
tuiren
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006 03:36:28 PM »

I've seen diagrams for rigid heddles made from popsicle sticks, but I'm not sure what you mean here. Is this something like a stick or soda straw loom for making belts and such?

http://www.kid-at-art.com/htdoc/lesson9.html
http://tornadowood.us/wvsticks.html

You can also make simple looms out of cardboard pieces, but you have to needleweave on them. A little more tedious than using a heddle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Leylia

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006 10:15:13 PM »

Well, it's actually a bit more complicated than that.  I'll try to explain what the lady said.

You take nine popsicle sticks or so, and drill a little hole into the center of seven of them.  Then, you glue each of those seven by the ends along the other two popsicle sticks so that you have a little frame, like a wooden fence, with little spaces between the slats.  Then you take fifteen lengths of warp fiber and thread one through a hole, then one through a space, then a hole, then a space, and so on.  You tie off the far end of the warp to a doorknob or something and tie off the near end to your belt, or wrap it around your hips.  Then, when you lift the popsicle sticks, the warp threaded through the holes goes up and the warp in the spaces stays where it is, and you run the shuttle through and tamp.  Then, when you pull the loom down, the holes go down and you can run it back through.

It obviously wouldn't make anything much bigger than a belt or a little napkin or something, but it seems like it would work.

PS: This was a terrible explanation.  I hope it made any sense at all.  I think I'll just go ahead and try it (I mean, it's popsicle sticks.  It's not like it'd take a whole ton of money or time to make) and see what happens.

EDIT: Okay, so I actually just did some real research on this, and from what I can tell, it sort of does operate like a heddle womb, because it creates two sheds as you work it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006 10:18:31 PM by Leylia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kindness isn't dead.  Promise.

R.I.P. Brett (1982-2007)
warpedweaving

Kiss my mouff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006 09:15:50 AM »

Yeah, that sounds sort of like a combination between a rigid heddle loom and a backstrap loom. I would suggest doing some research on backstrap looms and this will give you a better idea of what you are making. Yes it would work too. This would be a good activity to teach weaving as well because it's very obvious what is happening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Negative Spaces in Images
How to Anchor an Image with Scenic Architecture
How to Remove Color Casts
How to Create Rhythm Within Imagery
How to Create Abstraction within an Image
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...