A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Carnival knockdown  (Read 1739 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lavinia hawkmoth
« on: September 05, 2004 04:31:00 PM »

Hello,
This is my first "official" post, so I'm not sure if I've done it quite right.  I suppose this could be posted under "toys" but it's not really functional.  This was a project I did for my sculpture class at university last year - sort of a macabre carnival game inspired by antique carnival knockdown figures.  The bodies are canvas, the heads are clay and the stand is made of wood.  I was quite happy with the way it turned out - just can't find a good place to put it.  The dolls are scattered about my room and the stand is currently supporting my cd player Tongue.  I also did a really cool dollhouse which I will post shortly.  Let me know what ya think.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011 01:59:46 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PollyEsther
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004 04:57:49 AM »

I like it.  Are the dolls tea-dyed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pickledkitty
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004 08:52:10 AM »

Hey, those are some really cool, creepy doll knockdown things.
How did you make them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geedownie
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004 09:06:35 AM »

I really like the concept of this. I'm contemplating making monkey/robot headed ones to send my sister and her new hubby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abinka
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004 09:10:07 AM »

Beautiful. I love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lavinia hawkmoth
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004 03:06:48 PM »

Golly gee whiz, thanks for the nice comments.  The dolls are tea stained.  Basically, for the body I just cut out 2 peanut-shaped pieces of canvas, sewed them together and stuffed them - make sure that you put some weight in the bottom so they stand up, though (I used plastic bags full of rice).  Then, I made some strong tea and used a paintbrush to unevenly stain the canvas bodies - I wanted them to look like they had water damage.  I had actually intended to use porcelain for the heads, but porcelain should really be left to people who know how to 'work a hunk of clay real good', so I used air-dry clay.  I molded the heads around crumpled up newspaper balls so they would be lighter, and I made a small rectangular clay base under the heads with holes in it so it could be sewn to the bodes (heavy duty thread needed!)  I painted them with acrylics and then put a coat of modge podge over it and voila!  Just a word of advice though, acrylic and modge podge on air-dry clay does not work well at all.  They don't stick to the clay and they peel off EXTREMELY easy - I learned that the hard way!  If anyone has any suggestions for something that might work better that would be great.  The stand was just made out of wood - painted with acrylics and crackle medium.  Hope that made sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Slip Knot
How to Do a Purl Stitch
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Getting Introduced to Pottery
Great Ideas for Cheap Halloween Costumes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...