A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,604
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Carnival knockdown  (Read 1612 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lavinia hawkmoth
« on: September 05, 2004 04:31:00 PM »

Hello,
This is my first "official" post, so I'm not sure if I've done it quite right.  I suppose this could be posted under "toys" but it's not really functional.  This was a project I did for my sculpture class at university last year - sort of a macabre carnival game inspired by antique carnival knockdown figures.  The bodies are canvas, the heads are clay and the stand is made of wood.  I was quite happy with the way it turned out - just can't find a good place to put it.  The dolls are scattered about my room and the stand is currently supporting my cd player Tongue.  I also did a really cool dollhouse which I will post shortly.  Let me know what ya think.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011 01:59:46 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PollyEsther
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004 04:57:49 AM »

I like it.  Are the dolls tea-dyed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pickledkitty
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004 08:52:10 AM »

Hey, those are some really cool, creepy doll knockdown things.
How did you make them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geedownie
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004 09:06:35 AM »

I really like the concept of this. I'm contemplating making monkey/robot headed ones to send my sister and her new hubby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abinka
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004 09:10:07 AM »

Beautiful. I love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lavinia hawkmoth
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004 03:06:48 PM »

Golly gee whiz, thanks for the nice comments.  The dolls are tea stained.  Basically, for the body I just cut out 2 peanut-shaped pieces of canvas, sewed them together and stuffed them - make sure that you put some weight in the bottom so they stand up, though (I used plastic bags full of rice).  Then, I made some strong tea and used a paintbrush to unevenly stain the canvas bodies - I wanted them to look like they had water damage.  I had actually intended to use porcelain for the heads, but porcelain should really be left to people who know how to 'work a hunk of clay real good', so I used air-dry clay.  I molded the heads around crumpled up newspaper balls so they would be lighter, and I made a small rectangular clay base under the heads with holes in it so it could be sewn to the bodes (heavy duty thread needed!)  I painted them with acrylics and then put a coat of modge podge over it and voila!  Just a word of advice though, acrylic and modge podge on air-dry clay does not work well at all.  They don't stick to the clay and they peel off EXTREMELY easy - I learned that the hard way!  If anyone has any suggestions for something that might work better that would be great.  The stand was just made out of wood - painted with acrylics and crackle medium.  Hope that made sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3D-Printed Makeup Is Ready To Transform Your Beauty Routine
The Latest Eye Makeup and Eyewear Trends
Spray Tanning Stars
How to Get Full Brows
Custom Velvet Eyelashes at the Douglas Hannant FW 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...