A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gift for a TOTAL stranger?  (Read 659 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

VaMountainFamily
« on: October 08, 2006 09:36:04 PM »

I posted a request on Freecycle, not really expecting anything. Well, someone actually replied and is giving us a FREE fireplace insert. Those puppies are several HUNDRED dollars!! 

When we go to pick it up, I would really like to give this man a nice thank-you gift.  I mean, it's like he's handing us a bunch of $100 bills, yk?  And I want him to know how much we appreciate it.

I know NOTHING about him. Except his name is Michael and he is probably a man.  (I even tried "stalking" him, but he emailed me w/ a non-yahoo email account, so I can't even poke around his profile/subscribed groups).

Anyways, any ideas?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

April: momma to Abbie & Isaiah

Mountain Sprite Workshop!

I need Altoid tins! PM me!!!!
Gestalta_Sara
Queen Two Shakes and a Shimmy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006 09:42:27 PM »

Well, make sure its not crap first of all.  I find that sometimes on Freecycle that people can be less than honest, and I dont know how far you are travelling to get it, just make sure its worth it first.

Maybe find some place around him, like a restaurant or something and buy a gift card or something.  Crafting for a total stranger is hard because, like you said, you dont really know much about him.  Obviously you want to give a gift to show how much this fireplace insert means to you, but you want it to be a pratical gift or something.  Get a gift card and perhaps make a fireplace realated card holder or something to hold it it.

What is a fireplace insert?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VaMountainFamily
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006 09:54:31 PM »

Thanks. I like the gift card idea!  Grin

The man said it's in nice condition other than a broken hinge and a broken glass pane (both of which can be fixed pretty easily).

(A fireplace insert is like a woodstove that fits into your fireplace. Without it, you lose a lot of heat going up the chimney, but an insert helps push the hot air into the room.

We're planning on using wood to solely heat our home this winter to save money. )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

April: momma to Abbie & Isaiah

Mountain Sprite Workshop!

I need Altoid tins! PM me!!!!
m8888888
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006 12:15:24 AM »

You could always bake him cookies, or a cake, or bread, or some sort of treat! I would love to get that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Favorite moment of the year?  That commercial when m8888888 dropped her towel and jumped naked into the arms of Tony Danza.
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006 04:50:15 AM »

We're planning on using wood to solely heat our home this winter to save money. )

Make sure you tell your insurance company! Most of them dont mind, but if your house burns down and you never told them about the switch/installation, they might not cover you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
See the Future With These Horoscope Nails
The Perfect Pick for the Nail Art Virgin
Last Minute Holiday Shopping Guide
One-Minute Holiday Beauty Hacks
Forever 21 Makeup Line Review
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...