A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I really want to know HOW DID THEY HOLD UP?  (Read 1095 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elmelf
« on: October 06, 2006 01:54:16 PM »

Huh
I have done several version of shoe reconstuction. I think it would be helpful to others if everyone could report on how various methods held up to regular wear and tear.

Here's my report:

1) Modge Podge Shoes under see-thru vinyl- Although the shoes looked amazing, they did not hold up well at all. First, small corners of the papers repeatedly come loose and have  to be reglued. Next, the paper itself is really stiff and is kind of uncomfortble to wear.

2) Acrylic Paint over denim(?) sandals with sparkly jewels glued on- I was totally in love with this recon I did on some shoes for my toddler. Boo hoo. The beads lasted about 2 days total before falling off even though they were glued with super glue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SupernovaDesigns
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006 01:27:47 PM »

I haven't reconstructed any shoes so I can't directly respond to your question, but just a thought:
super glue has it's place in the crafting world but it isn't the best choice for every gluing dillemma. especially for gluing something to fabric, there are better options. they make glues specifically for gluing embellishments to fabric, but i think e3600 would work just fine too, since it's slightly flexible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop
SupernovaDesigns.et sy.com
Catastrophe Waitress
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006 02:03:36 PM »

Mine (ladybird ones) are fine. I've worn them loads and some of the glitter has come off where they crease but I knew it would. They look a bit grubby because they are fabric but it's all good. I would agree with the above post about the gems/beads. Deffinately use a glue that is meant for fabric embellishments or something that is flexible. I find if you put a fair size blob and tick the gem on hard enough that the glue squishes out a bit so it go around the gem/bead, they stay on a bit longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elmelf
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006 05:08:13 PM »

I used super glue because I was not glueing on fabric. I was glueing onto a the platform part of some platform sandals. I can't say if the gems fell off and if they were pulled off my daughter.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peter Walsh: It’s All Too Much
Robert Muchamore on the CHERUB Series
Filmmaker Malla Nunn Discusses Her Favorite Movie
Jeannette Walls Talks About Her Life
Bob Shepherd Talks About The Infidel Podcast
Latest Blog Articles
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...