A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Half-Zip (Say What?!) Grosgrain Pouch  (Read 33264 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2004 02:57:27 PM »

I made a grosgrain ribbon pouch with a unique half-zipper.  The zipper is easy to install, especially for a person who's afraid of her zipper foot.

You didn't ask for a tutorial, but I'm a-givin' ya one anyway.
Sew 22'' lengths of your fav grosgrain ribbons side by side, so they overlap by 1/4". 
Cut off one side of a 22" Coats & Clark polyester zipper and the stopper.  (Yes, I said CUT THEM OFF!)  Remove that side completely.  Sew the remaining side to the long side of the rectangle of ribbons.

Next slide the end of the half-zipper back into the pull.  Sew your own stopper.

Make sure the zipper is partially open.  Pin the rectangle in half with right sides together.  Sew on two sides.  Finish the raw edge with a good bit of zigzag stitch.

Turn right side out.  Done!
Since I've become addicted to making purses, I've been using a new purse each day.  I needed something to put all my essential stuff in, so I could switch purses by just throwing the pouch into the flavor of the day.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004 05:02:04 AM by Sewer Rat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
Adrienne
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004 05:32:11 PM »

woah..that's crazy....i don't entirely understand the whole half zipper thingy though....how does it stay shut?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Touch not the cat bot a glove.
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004 05:44:42 PM »

You're zipping the remaining one side of the zipper to itself.  It's super easy to install, because all you have to do is sew the one side of the zipper to one side of the ribbon rectangle.  It's also less bulky at one end than a regular zipper.  Does that help?  Sorry if my instructions are unclear.  It took me just a few minutes to make the pouch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neany

So let your hips do the talking

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004 08:32:16 PM »

oh cool! I had no idea that would work with the zip. That seems a much easier way of putting a zip in for one like me that for some unfathamable reason loathes putting in zips even though I can do it fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004 09:27:14 PM »

So you are making a finished bag of about 11" width? What do you do with the other half of the zipper, buy extra pulls?

I really like this pouch and love the ribbon idea! I need a pouch, too, since changing stuff is making me use fewer of my growing purse collection! I wind up switching only some of the stuff over and then find I forgot something important.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004 10:10:21 PM »

I wind up switching only some of the stuff over and then find I forgot something important.

I do the same thing.  Tongue

Sewer Rat I love this idea! I have SOO many zippers and this little number will be a great way to use some up, and some of my fabric stash. yay! And it looks so simple to do. Great job an nice ribbon pouch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004 10:34:46 PM »

Arrhythmia-- yes, the pouch turned out to be a little less than 11 inches long.  I'm going to try making a deeper, narrower pouch on my next attempt.  The half of the zipper that you cut off is no good, so just discard it.  (Or you could pair it up with another half zipper with a pull and make a funky two-colored zipper!)

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that you have to cut off the metal-stopper-thingy before you can feed the end of the zipper through the pull.

Thanks for the feedback, crafty gals.  I'm sure someone could take this simple idea and really go with it.   
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004 08:46:41 PM by Sewer Rat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

strangey
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004 10:43:10 AM »

neat idea, sewer rat.  Even without the half-zipper ingenuity, I love your use of grosgrain ribbon. Great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004 11:35:41 AM »

W-O-W. What a simple idea, but so clever!!! I am really excited to try this, I have a ton of TOO LONG zippers that I always have to cut down, but this is just so smart! THANKYOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004 12:21:15 PM »

The nice thing about this way of installing a zipper is that you have only one side of the pouch that has raw edges.  This is a plus when working with fraying grosgrain ribbon.  I suppose you could enclose the raw seam with seam binding. 

In the middle of the night I was thinking that it would be easy to make a lined pouch by starting with a rectangle of fabric (sew two rectangles together 4/5 of way around, turn right side out, press), instead of a rectangle of ribbons.  I also thought about using a rectangle of vinyl and fabric.  If I try these ideas, I'll post them.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004 04:57:35 AM by Sewer Rat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallou
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004 12:43:30 PM »

that's a terrific idea!!!! Can't wait to try it!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004 05:49:09 PM »

Here's another pouch I made.  It's deeper and shorter than the first. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo flower girl
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2004 07:25:26 PM »

nice job, nice idea. did you line this one?
if anyone is worried Undecided about the edge fraying, you could try a french seam. just a thought. ooh and if you added a handle-strap it could be a little clutch purse. you're inspiring me... where do you find so W - - I - - D - - E grosgrain ribbon?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005 08:03:02 PM by indigo flower girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2004 07:28:15 PM »

Hey, that's really cool.  I had no idea you could put zippers in that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004 08:35:06 PM »

indigo flower girl, I found the ribbon at Poppy Fabrics in Oakland, California.  The wide ribbon is 1 1/2".  No, I didn't line this one-- too bone-tired, but still couldn't fight the urge to make a purse!  I woke up at 3:30 a.m. thinking that it would have been great with a pink satin lining.  Also, this would make a nice wristlet.
For anyone trying this zipper technique:  don't give up when trying to feed the end of the zipper through the pull.  It takes a little bit of gentle pushing and
tugging. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004 05:04:55 AM by Sewer Rat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004 07:57:10 PM »

I made a lined one.  I think I prefer the pouch unlined.

This zipper was very easy to zip up.  I just inserted the end of the zipper into the pull and started zipping.  No tugging!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004 08:08:47 PM by Sewer Rat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Orchid
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2004 11:48:06 AM »

Ack! The word "slide" makes it sound so easy! I can't, for the life of me, seem to get the other side of the zipper to "slide" in. How did you do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2004 02:07:38 PM »

Oh, no!  For the last pouch I just kinda set the end of the zipper into the pull and started zipping and it worked on my first attempt.  The first pouch was a little trickier.  Are you using one of those plastic zippers or a metal one?  I used a plastic zipper.  Uh... uh... you have to shove the end in and hold it there with one hand while tugging on the zipper.  I wish I could do it for you!  Sorry!  Please don't give up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teriyakimoto
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2004 07:00:25 PM »

Awesome idea!  I love them all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2004 08:05:04 PM »

Cry my suggestion, if you can make sure your zipper will work for this project. for some reason i can get the slider on but it won't zip. the teeth come together ok but then it gets real stiff and pops. Sad it was a plastic one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2004 08:35:57 PM »

Aaargh!  My world is crumbling.  I'm so sorry this isn't working for you two.  I used polyester Coats & Clark all-purpose zippers.  Have you tried trimming off a tiny bit of the fabric near the tip you're trying to feed into the pull?  I don't take the pull off.  I cut off the stopper, unzipped the zipper almost all the way, cut off the one side, and after sewing the remaining zipper half to the rectangle, fed the end into the pull.  Push, tug, zip.  Ugh, I feel terrible that this has been frustrating for you!         
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004 09:00:46 PM by Sewer Rat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2004 10:25:14 PM »

Oh sewer rat it's not your fault!  Grin I still plan on giving it a try, probably with a newer zipper. I have a ton of them i bought a while back so it wasn't a big loss that mine didn't work. i just wanted to send out a word of caution to others to make sure their zipper isn't some strange directional one that will only want to feed one way.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lia

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2004 10:46:14 PM »

You could even try to feed it on before you sew it into the pouch, for practice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2004 10:54:59 PM »

i was just going to ask if you had a magical zipper-feeding technique, but i guess the cursing and perseverance i currently use is about as technical as it gets. i can't count the times i've accidentally yanked the pull of a zipper. feeding the toothy tape back through is no fun.

hot little pouch though! this kind of zipper would also be really fun to put all the way around a hood Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
vic
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2004 11:10:13 PM »

I love, love, love this site and I'm amazed at the talent!  Could one of you younger ones tell me what's hot right now in the way of handbags, etc. I've made alot of Kool-aid purses for my girls but, I need the latest fad. Thanks! Vic
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2004 08:33:55 PM »

I made another lined grosgrain ribbon pouch, this time using Dyabolica's excellent lined pouch tutorial and the half-zip technique-- a  Craftster hybrid!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dalaimama

In the spring the grass grows all by itself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2004 09:29:36 PM »

I think all of your bags are really good looking, I just love them!  I've been wanting to make
one but haven't found a good ribbon selection yet (I'm in a pretty rural area so my resources are
limited).  I prefer the lined ones also, please keep posting pics of any others that you've made.
I'll have to try your zipper method too  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come Visit My Online Shop! Bella Dia Designs
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2004 09:44:37 PM »

Thank you, Dalaimama.  The last pouch looks a bit lumpy.  It looks a lot better in person.  I found the ribbon at Nancy's Sewing Basket in beautiful Seattle this weekend.  Here's an on-line purveyor of ribbons-- http://www.hymanhendler.com/.  Good luck and please post any ribbon pouches you make.  I'm wondering if this zipper method is working for anyone else!

(Oops!  I just visited Hyman Hendler & Sons' website and I don't know if you can actually order from it.  Gorgeous stuff though.  Anyone up for a Craftster fieldtrip to the Garment District?)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004 05:32:43 AM by Sewer Rat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sushimifune

Life is a gift-horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2004 10:55:02 PM »

I LOVE your zipper method!
I defenitively have to give it a try!
thank you very much!! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2004 07:32:07 PM »

Sushimifune, please do try this!  I need to know that I'm not living in my own little world, where half zippers can be zipped unto themselves. 

(And I can't wait for your next tute!  I'm going to make some of your rounder roomies for Christmas presents and also offer anyone at work one if he/she donates $100 to Kerry's presidential campaign.) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maitreya
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2005 12:11:22 PM »

Love the half-zip idea!  I made a little lined card-holder with it.  Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2005 12:17:15 PM »

This is really interesting.  I don't like working with zippers but I might have to try this out Smiley  Thanks for sharing your project Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
BklynGal

Brooklyn Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005 06:44:07 AM »

That is a great idea! J Caroline Creative also has lots of grosgrain ribbon: www.jcarolinecreati ve.com
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005 08:39:55 AM by BklynGal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-Scott Adams

My Etsy: http://brooklynbutterfly.etsy.com
My Wists: http://www.wists.com/ajrandolph11
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/aunjanue
mata
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2005 01:36:22 AM »

KEWL! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JKaz
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2005 08:49:40 PM »

oh wow!
That is really neat!
Zippers scare me.. the few times I tried to put zippers in things, I messed them up.. I may have to try this though.. looks a lot easier.
Thanks for the tutorial! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2005 11:02:07 AM »

it took me twenty minutes to figure out, but i finally got the half zipper to zip on itself!
once you figure it out it's easy. Thank you for the tute!
^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2005 07:05:51 AM »

this is awesome!! luvly cutey pouches. i have a bag with this half zipper but never thought of giving it a try. thanks a ton for sharing it and the tut is way too easy n neat. u rock, muah. *runs to try it*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2006 07:29:35 AM »

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

lol, that is AWESOME! I haven't sewn in a while and i just tried a zipper and I totally botched it. I am for sure trying this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007 07:59:45 PM »

I love this. I love making zipper pouches (particularly with custom-printed fabric) and doing all the sammiching/turning is a little tedious... Instantly, you eliminated half of that! Of course, this style introduces a whole new problem -- reinserting that damned zipper!

Like Sewer Rat said, don't give up. I used one of the small-coil plastic zippers, and a short one at that. After I cut the stops off, I put Fray-Check on the fabric ends to keep it from coming apart while I fiddled with it. And fiddle I did. It seemed to help if I kept the two sides aligned and close as possible -- just like when you're trying to zip up the side zip on a skirt; you hold the end down and squeeze the sides together, trying to keep it all flat. Eventually it went.

I made the outer in a vinyl (if any of you have seen my other posts lately, I seem to have a mild vinyl fixation) with a cotton lining done in the standard flip-through-lining method. I love it. It'll be great for printed panels because it'll be continuous around the folded edge. If I do any good ones, I'll post 'em here.

-Dorion
THIS ROCKS   Logged

54mama
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007 08:11:16 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial!  Here is one I made last night... so quick and easy and make a great little gift I think.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/ovandyke/IMG_4791.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hyerac
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007 08:57:10 AM »

Ok, this half-zipper thing is friggin' AWESOME!!!  I remember seeing a small pouch at a craft fair many moons ago, and wondered where to find a zipper like that.  I just found this thread, ran upstairs to find a zipper, and worked it out.  I can't tell you how pleased I am right now!  It's all I can do to not run to the nearest craft store and buy a bazillion zippers!   Grin

54mama, I'm so glad you bumped this thread up with your post... and Sewer Rat, I'm stoked that you offered a tut before you were even asked to...

...did I mention that this is friggin' AWESOME?!?!?   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adadancer13

That urks my pickle!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2007 12:57:02 AM »

That's so cool and inventive! Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008 03:57:32 PM »

:O What a great way to recycle those old broken zippers on sweaters and such!
Nice work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hanneloresewer
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2009 08:46:12 PM »

Just want you to know that your tutorial is still valuable!   I've just discovered it and love playing with the method.

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Can't post a pic as I'm too new a member, but I've made great stuff!!

h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Hair Bump Part 1/2
How to Grow Out a Bad Haircut
How to Get Volume
How to French Braid Hair
How to Get Shiny Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...