A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 305,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Half-Zip (Say What?!) Grosgrain Pouch  (Read 34037 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2004 02:57:27 PM »

I made a grosgrain ribbon pouch with a unique half-zipper.  The zipper is easy to install, especially for a person who's afraid of her zipper foot.

You didn't ask for a tutorial, but I'm a-givin' ya one anyway.
Sew 22'' lengths of your fav grosgrain ribbons side by side, so they overlap by 1/4". 
Cut off one side of a 22" Coats & Clark polyester zipper and the stopper.  (Yes, I said CUT THEM OFF!)  Remove that side completely.  Sew the remaining side to the long side of the rectangle of ribbons.

Next slide the end of the half-zipper back into the pull.  Sew your own stopper.

Make sure the zipper is partially open.  Pin the rectangle in half with right sides together.  Sew on two sides.  Finish the raw edge with a good bit of zigzag stitch.

Turn right side out.  Done!
Since I've become addicted to making purses, I've been using a new purse each day.  I needed something to put all my essential stuff in, so I could switch purses by just throwing the pouch into the flavor of the day.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004 05:02:04 AM by Sewer Rat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
Adrienne
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004 05:32:11 PM »

woah..that's crazy....i don't entirely understand the whole half zipper thingy though....how does it stay shut?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Touch not the cat bot a glove.
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004 05:44:42 PM »

You're zipping the remaining one side of the zipper to itself.  It's super easy to install, because all you have to do is sew the one side of the zipper to one side of the ribbon rectangle.  It's also less bulky at one end than a regular zipper.  Does that help?  Sorry if my instructions are unclear.  It took me just a few minutes to make the pouch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neany

So let your hips do the talking

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004 08:32:16 PM »

oh cool! I had no idea that would work with the zip. That seems a much easier way of putting a zip in for one like me that for some unfathamable reason loathes putting in zips even though I can do it fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004 09:27:14 PM »

So you are making a finished bag of about 11" width? What do you do with the other half of the zipper, buy extra pulls?

I really like this pouch and love the ribbon idea! I need a pouch, too, since changing stuff is making me use fewer of my growing purse collection! I wind up switching only some of the stuff over and then find I forgot something important.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004 10:10:21 PM »

I wind up switching only some of the stuff over and then find I forgot something important.

I do the same thing.  Tongue

Sewer Rat I love this idea! I have SOO many zippers and this little number will be a great way to use some up, and some of my fabric stash. yay! And it looks so simple to do. Great job an nice ribbon pouch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004 10:34:46 PM »

Arrhythmia-- yes, the pouch turned out to be a little less than 11 inches long.  I'm going to try making a deeper, narrower pouch on my next attempt.  The half of the zipper that you cut off is no good, so just discard it.  (Or you could pair it up with another half zipper with a pull and make a funky two-colored zipper!)

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that you have to cut off the metal-stopper-thingy before you can feed the end of the zipper through the pull.

Thanks for the feedback, crafty gals.  I'm sure someone could take this simple idea and really go with it.   
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004 08:46:41 PM by Sewer Rat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

strangey
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004 10:43:10 AM »

neat idea, sewer rat.  Even without the half-zipper ingenuity, I love your use of grosgrain ribbon. Great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004 11:35:41 AM »

W-O-W. What a simple idea, but so clever!!! I am really excited to try this, I have a ton of TOO LONG zippers that I always have to cut down, but this is just so smart! THANKYOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004 12:21:15 PM »

The nice thing about this way of installing a zipper is that you have only one side of the pouch that has raw edges.  This is a plus when working with fraying grosgrain ribbon.  I suppose you could enclose the raw seam with seam binding. 

In the middle of the night I was thinking that it would be easy to make a lined pouch by starting with a rectangle of fabric (sew two rectangles together 4/5 of way around, turn right side out, press), instead of a rectangle of ribbons.  I also thought about using a rectangle of vinyl and fabric.  If I try these ideas, I'll post them.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004 04:57:35 AM by Sewer Rat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew a Topstitch
Choosing the Right Tools for Sewing Projects
Choosing Fabric for Sewing Projects
How to Select Stitch Length in Sewing Projects
Crochet for Beginners: Slip Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...