A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: In the Navy, you can sail the seven seas!  (Read 1442 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mmd32
« on: October 08, 2006 05:36:48 PM »

My kid wanted a polka dot dress, and it evolved to this...all I can think of is sailors when I look at it, lol!

No pattern, just started ripping strips and sewing together. There are a couple of small darts in the back, to give a little shaping, and the skirt is attached with little pleats, rather than gathers, to lessen the bulk, and give a sharper appearance. The straps cross over in the back. Everything is topstitched in white thread, giving the perfect touch, imnsho!! Grin

I hate this pic, cause for some reason it really looks like a little girl dress, but it's not; it's a lot better, lol!

For reference, she is heading towards 5'7" (at 12!), but she's standing funny, so it all looks kind of dumpy and short. My batteries died, though, so can't get another one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006 05:46:08 PM »

very sweet dress--so glad to hear you did not have a pattern...

I was asked to make this exact style for someone and could not find a pattern either!!

On the skirt--how did you measure out the piece? how many times larger than the waist measurement did you use?  I want it to be full, but not puffy!

I am also using a contrasting fabric for the waist band--are the buttons functional or did you put in a zipper?

I have everything all laid out, but before I cut into the expensive fabric, a few notes from someone who already made it would be wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maronne
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006 05:48:41 PM »

NICE!!  I LOVE the red and white around the bottom.  Overall - it's a cool, crisp and a wee bit sassy of a garment.  I really do like it a lot!!  

Onto my next comment:  BOY - do I HEAR YA when it comes to kids posing.  Saturday I unexpectedly ran into an acquaintance from work at my tag sale, and she was DYING to see these daughters of mine that I always am raving about.  (And didn't they just look unusually unkempt and illiterate that morning.   Huh)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!!!
mmd32
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006 05:57:37 PM »

very sweet dress--so glad to hear you did not have a pattern...

I was asked to make this exact style for someone and could not find a pattern either!!

On the skirt--how did you measure out the piece? how many times larger than the waist measurement did you use?  I want it to be full, but not puffy!

I am also using a contrasting fabric for the waist band--are the buttons functional or did you put in a zipper?

I have everything all laid out, but before I cut into the expensive fabric, a few notes from someone who already made it would be wonderful!

I didn't measure the waist measurement; I just took one width strip for the front, and again for the back, and sewed them together, and it worked perfectly. I basically held up the fabric, and looked at how wide the bottom of the skirt would end up, and decided it was right, and went from there. I didn't want puffy, either, so that's why I did the gathering as little pleats instead of gathers, cause it helps it to lay a little flatter around the waist, instead of puffing out.

The buttons are functional..I did that little whatchamacallit, where you slit into the skirt, and then do a little strip facing onto it (can't remember what it is called!), so that she could get into it past the waist, since the bodice/waistband is formfitting.

Maronne OMG, yeah!! Guaranteed every single time you especially want them to look nice, they pull out all stops for humiliation, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006 06:02:52 PM »

gotcha--thanks--I am going to do pleats as well--she is a tiny thing but I am sure that she will appreciate the pleats and not gathers...

ha ha--I knew what you meant by the split waist thingy--I might have to do a zipper because the buttons I purchased are huge

Your daughter looks adorable and that she loves that mom sews for her!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mmd32
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006 06:06:34 PM »

Oh, forgot to mention, the bodice thing is completely lined, too....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006 06:55:12 PM »

I love it! The colours are so bold and its such a pretty style! Your daughter looks like she's having fun and that's all that matters! hehehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006 07:01:22 PM »

really cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
shaoono
Shantastic!

Shantastic!=)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006 07:24:45 PM »

its really cute I like it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poetic_dischord

Bitches Say What?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006 07:56:35 PM »

This is adorable, and I love the attention to detail.

That's what makes sewing great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Dodo Bird
March 18th: The Art of the Steal
Billy Connolly Talks About His First Art Collection, Born on a Rainy Day
Alton Towers 3D Art Project
February 13th: Not-So-Good Grief
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...