A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,206
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SS KK TT (Sublime Stitching Krazy Kitchen Tea Towels)  (Read 2113 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ongir
« on: October 08, 2006 11:48:39 AM »

The past few weeks I've been slugging through these towels for my sister-in-law.  She is getting married later this month, and these will be our gift to her. 

When I asked her if her kitchen will have a "theme" or anything, she just said that she likes "spa colors."  So, when I found these blue blue towels on sale at WinCo, I decided they were spa enough.

The two smaller ones are in split stitch, the bigger one is in chain.

Celery colored blender! Stem for "glass", split stitch for everything else I think.

After the first two went so quickly, I moved on to the white tea towels to go with it.  I hit such a wall, it took me three weeks when the first two took me one night. Sad

I'm actually really happy with the way this turned out.  My husband says the spoon with chocolate gonache on it looks like a snake trying to eat the number 3. Tongue Split stitch as a default; raised satin on the chocolate, cherry, dial for the timer, and buttons on the mixer.  Regular satin on the wisk handle.  The purple of the mixer is chain.  It doesn't have the mysterious fuzzy around it in real life.

Shoes, sash, headband-raised satin.  Koolaid-satin.  Skin stem stitch.  Backstitch over lace to help it pop.  Split stitch just about everything else.

I haaaated doing this one.  It was the problem indeed.  I couldn't do much with it, so I would put it down after working on it for a few minutes. 

Finally, I took out some seed stitching that I was doing on her dress, and started liking her a lot more.  I worked bottom up, so the last thing I did was the pitcher.  MISTAKE! 

While trying hard to figure out what color other than blue to use for liquid, my husband, my brilliant muse, suggested that I actually put in a color I like-red.  So now it looked like blood.  He gave one look at it, and said "that is totally the Kool-Aid Man."  As usual, he was right.  Putting that face on it made me LOVE LOVE this thing that I had once hated.

Lesson learned? Sometimes you just have to put a bit of you in your work, or it really won't come alive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
domUNIQUE
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006 11:52:51 AM »

all of them are great!  and i love the kool-aid man!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out what's on my needles at www.beingdomUnique.wordpress.com

And what's off of them at www.designedbydomUnique.etsy.com
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006 02:56:02 PM »

Your stuff is too cute, LOVE the kool-aid face!  And the snake eating the 3?  Men are TOO funny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ali_n_zoe
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006 03:44:08 PM »

I looooove these!  You did such a great job!  I struggle with satin stitch, and yours is so smooth!!  Do you have trick to that?
Your sister-in-law is going to love them.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neophyte282
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006 04:14:36 PM »

Those are great! Love the Kool-Aid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

california-peg
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006 05:29:16 AM »

I agree.  You DO have to put "you" into your work to have it really sing.  And you've done it, splendidly.  It's that extra thought, that leap into something different that makes these really really special. Your sister-in-law will love them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my crafts at www.peggradyart.etsy.com and
see my paintings at www.peggradyart.com
plumpie
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006 07:39:27 AM »

Your sister-in-law is a very lucky lady!  I love the personal touches you added with the Kool Aid man and I'm sure she will too.

A quick question- what is the difference between a raised satin stitch and a satin stitch?

Also, some thoughts on liquids we could use for that lady carrying the pitcher, how about yellow for lemonade or brown for iced tea?  I'm gonna have to try that one myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neophyte282
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006 08:09:40 AM »

Your sister-in-law is a very lucky lady!  I love the personal touches you added with the Kool Aid man and I'm sure she will too.

A quick question- what is the difference between a raised satin stitch and a satin stitch?

Also, some thoughts on liquids we could use for that lady carrying the pitcher, how about yellow for lemonade or brown for iced tea?  I'm gonna have to try that one myself.
Satin Stitch: http://inaminuteago.com/stitchdict/stitch/satin.html

Raised satin stitch (or padded): http://inaminuteago.com/stitchdict/stitch/satin-padded.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenne_girle
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006 02:46:59 PM »

Wow! Your SIL will love these (or she's crazy!) You did a great job. I especially love your satin stitching (raised and standard). Way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tejer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006 05:38:13 PM »

Bee-yoo-ti-ful! I bought these patterns recently and am excited to get started on them. I love the blue towels you chose and the way you put everything together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Natural Treatments For Dandruff
Clamp-Free Curling Iron - Sultra Bombshell Product Review
Hair Tips For Men
Shiny Hair and Anti Aging Treatment
Summer Hair Styling Tips for Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...