A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fashion Doodling Anyone?  (Read 38033 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #280 on: January 14, 2008 08:29:02 AM »

Hey.. =]
I can't draw much, but I wanted to design my own prom dress (in the future...I'm thinking big! xD)

everyone says that the V formed on the back doesn't look great, so...yay or nay?
I love your design, but I'll warn you now, you will find yourself having problems with the gap between the fastening and skirt part. take a look at these dresses I designed and made using the same principle. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=187885.0 the last picture shows the backs. unless you drape the fabric like I did, you'll find it increadibly tricky to get in and out of the dress.. hey it may even be impossible :S if you need any help though, I can offer as much advise that I know..? I'm not sure if the back of your design is the same or similar as mine, but from looking at it, it looks like it, I just thought I'd warn you of the complications I personally encountered before another craftster makes the same mistakes I made Tongue

Lou xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
goofipinay
« Reply #281 on: January 14, 2008 07:18:16 PM »

Hey.. =]
I can't draw much, but I wanted to design my own prom dress (in the future...I'm thinking big! xD)

everyone says that the V formed on the back doesn't look great, so...yay or nay?
I love your design, but I'll warn you now, you will find yourself having problems with the gap between the fastening and skirt part. take a look at these dresses I designed and made using the same principle. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=187885.0 the last picture shows the backs. unless you drape the fabric like I did, you'll find it increadibly tricky to get in and out of the dress.. hey it may even be impossible :S if you need any help though, I can offer as much advise that I know..? I'm not sure if the back of your design is the same or similar as mine, but from looking at it, it looks like it, I just thought I'd warn you of the complications I personally encountered before another craftster makes the same mistakes I made Tongue

Lou xx

do you mean how the fabric's gonna attach around the back below the fastening thing?? cause I'm gonna attach a zipper above that, too...
or...
well should I just make it so there's NO V, but instead, draping? would it be easier? cause I want it somewhat fitted around that area..

I don't really understand how to do draping, though =[ so any help is fine =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #282 on: January 15, 2008 02:26:14 AM »

Hey.. =]

Lou xx

do you mean how the fabric's gonna attach around the back below the fastening thing?? cause I'm gonna attach a zipper above that, too...
or...
well should I just make it so there's NO V, but instead, draping? would it be easier? cause I want it somewhat fitted around that area..

Yeah the bit under the fastening. it'd be easire to picture if you had a technical drawing to show where all the fastenings and stuff are. but basically, it looks as though you'd struggle either getting the dress over your shoulders, or over your bum.. well that's the problem I had Tongue If you want it fitted then I'd suggest adding a zip or buttons or something onto the skirt part too, just so you have that much more ease to get it on. Draping it like I did won't make the skirt part that fitted, and I guess would only really work with light fabric like I used, other wise it'd all bunch up..!
you don't want to spend hours making a beautiful dress then rip it when putting it on do you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
PetitMer
« Reply #283 on: January 15, 2008 06:42:32 AM »

Wow, Peitmer...those are so amazing!!  Good job with those!!!

Thanks Singingshan! I love your pieces too! They're right up my alley. Seeing them gave me the courage to post mine and made me think they might fit into this thread after all. The masking job is stellar! I use frisket once in a while, but it's never quite so clean. I tried it on a car crash drawing the other day and it worked for it's purpose, but not as neat and clean as I imagine masking jobs should be. It's okay though, I think I'm just a messy person  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PetitMer
« Reply #284 on: January 15, 2008 06:48:26 AM »

With your talent you COULD be a fashion designer.  have you thought about taking some classes?  I'm in college to become a theatrical costume designer, have you thought about doing that?   You could seriously.  I'd wear some of your works.

hee, it's funny because I actually do design clothes for a living, but I don't want to! My background is in fine arts and I'd rather paint. The line I design is children's and maybe if it was for older I'd be more excited about it, but right now I'd rather wear and draw the fabulous clothes and only occasionally make a piece or two when the mood strikes. I wouldn't mind wearing the octopus outfit though, that would be silly good fun! Thanks for the kind words, it really makes my day  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skarinja
« Reply #285 on: January 16, 2008 07:52:50 AM »

I'm having this problem right now actually with how to make a dress that has a corset lace up but up high. I think I'm just gonna do a hidden zipper... that goes down to lower waist.
Hey.. =]

Lou xx

or...

Yeah the bit under the fastening. it'd be easire to picture if you had a technical drawing to show where all the fastenings and stuff are. but basically, it looks as though you'd struggle either getting the dress over your shoulders, or over your bum.. well that's the problem I had Tongue If you want it fitted then I'd suggest adding a zip or buttons or something onto the skirt part too, just so you have that much more ease to get it on. Draping it like I did won't make the skirt part that fitted, and I guess would only really work with light fabric like I used, other wise it'd all bunch up..!
you don't want to spend hours making a beautiful dress then rip it when putting it on do you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog pleats n' eats!!

http://pleatsneats.tumblr.com/
auroraskye

i'll make it to the moon if i have to crawl

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 17, 2008 12:54:36 PM »

I finally read this whole thread. I am in sketching this semester.. I have always sketched (since I was like 12) but I am TERRIBLE.. embarrasingly terrible. So now I will actually learn how to make pretty fashion sketches and post them here.. Smiley I am excited.. I cannot wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 18, 2008 01:25:44 AM »

Wow! This is still active! I'm not sure if the v back would work. either. auroraskye, please join our little fashion design project! I'm  not real good either. Show your designs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
ogle

Ongina is my Oprah

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 06, 2008 07:27:03 AM »

Haven't posted on here for a long time. Here is something I whipped up recently. Kind of boring but I likes it. Will have front and ofcourse, her date in complimenting outfit soon. Glad to see this Board is still going strong. Keep Doodling(sp?)!

Updated: added the front, sorry its so fuzzy but my scanner was only picking up the dark bits, so I had to lighten everything to get all the detail.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008 11:06:29 AM by ogle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is the Message
marmota-b

Tove Jansson's ghost was the first craftster...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: February 06, 2008 07:37:56 AM »

Actually, it isn't boring at all - I mean, in reality it would be an awesome dress! The simple looking ones are usually the best.

Another of mine. This time not just a doodle...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://marmota-b.blogspot.com

And my original Czech blog, nowadays updated VERY occasionally...
http://marmota-b.blog.cz
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Grafitti Clothing
How to Sketch a Nose
How to Draw 3D Letters
Introduction to Watercolor Painting
How to Stretch Paper in Watercolor Painting
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...